The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you test in public? I have tested while grocery shopping, at restaurants, doctor's waiting room, etc.. I have gotten some pretty nasty stares. So far nobody has made a comment. I am trying to prepare myself for the time that it happens. Figure I will just say "I am diabetic and must test at specific times no matter where I am." and just smile. I definately am not going to appologize for it, nor do I feel the need for a long explaination. I dispose of my strips in my purse and wash my hands with purell afterwards. Not that I feel it is necessary for me, but so they aren't afraid of me touching something after I take my blood.
How have you handled this situation?

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I test when I need to, no matter where I am.
Why shouldnt I?
We have diabetes and an important part of diabetes is that we have to check our BG regulary because we can no longer trust that the body will take care of it self.
I`m not ashamed for my diabetes and I`m not ashamed when I check my BG.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I test when needed but I do it discreetly. I am not embarrassed or ashamed but do it out of respect for others. A long time ago before I was a diabetic, every Sunday a man in our church would go to our only Mexican Restaurant...make a real show of taking his insulin at the table...no one was impressed. It embarrassed his wife and everyone around because it was like he was wanting attention. It was only a few steps to the restroom or he could have injected under the table. I check my blood under the table or in my purse. Of course, we may be a little more conservative in the south. Lol

Reactions: Mar2a

·
Registered
224 Posts
Long Ago

This query reminded me of the day I was prepping my high school students for the blood typing we would do the next day. Yes - before AIDS, this was a standard biology class activity. Anyway - even though I was not intending to pierce my skin with the lancet, I modeled the behavior that they would follow the next day. BOOM! Sound of student hitting the deck. :eek::eek::eek: She sat in the last row, but the mere thought of my intent caused her to pass out. She then said that it always happens at Dr's office if she SEES blood. I excused her from lab for the following day - but I have never forgotten that event. I haven't needed to do blood testing anywhere but in the privacy of my home, but should that time come, I don't want to have to scoop anyone off the floor. :eek:

·
Registered
355 Posts
How many of you test in public? I have tested while grocery shopping, at restaurants, doctor's waiting room, etc.. I have gotten some pretty nasty stares. So far nobody has made a comment. I am trying to prepare myself for the time that it happens. Figure I will just say "I am diabetic and must test at specific times no matter where I am." and just smile. I definately am not going to appologize for it, nor do I feel the need for a long explaination. I dispose of my strips in my purse and wash my hands with purell afterwards. Not that I feel it is necessary for me, but so they aren't afraid of me touching something after I take my blood.
How have you handled this situation?
hahahaha yes Ranita I too have tested right in the grocery line:D hey its something I needed to do for me its as simple as that.! I guess I look at anyone thats looks at me in a way the turn away and mind their own business!!!:D

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
916 Posts
lol I could care less what other ppl think .
I mean it is not like I am breast feeding a baby or other body functions lol

Now if I had to do a insulin shot i would go to the ladies room or other spot to do that.
heck I don't give my own shots in front of my grands.thats just me I guess.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I test wherever I am whenever I need to test. If I'm around small kids I may try and find a place that's a bits more secluded just so there's bumping or dropping of supplies. I did that once...ugh

When I was using insulin it didn't matter to me where I was when I needed to inject. My thinking was if you dont wanna see me put a needle in me, dint watch. But again, if I was around small children I tried to find a more secluded place. Just didn't want to take the chance on something bad happening because little Johnny was playing.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
640 Posts
When I first started testing, I would always go to the ladies' room at work, but read that a lot of people test at their desk and thought I'd give it a try. I was nervous at first, but now I can do it in a corner of my cubicle, using a stack of books or something to shield. I've gotten so good at testing that it only takes me a few seconds and I don't have to lay everything out to do it.

There was a similar discussion on another board that I follow. The Type 1s pointed out that testing and injecting is something that they have to do to live and they should be able to do it anywhere, and I agree with that, but like vrdeboer, I don't want to cause anyone to pass out. Or vomit. So, I try to be discreet as possible, testing under the table, in the ladies' room, or in my purse.

Having said that, though, if I saw someone suddenly inject right out in the open, I'd have no problem with that. You do what you have to do. And if someone fainted because they saw the injection, I'd just go give aid to the person who fainted and explain the other person's position.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
This query reminded me of the day I was prepping my high school students for the blood typing we would do the next day. Yes - before AIDS, this was a standard biology class activity. Anyway - even though I was not intending to pierce my skin with the lancet, I modeled the behavior that they would follow the next day. BOOM! Sound of student hitting the deck. :eek::eek::eek: She sat in the last row, but the mere thought of my intent caused her to pass out. She then said that it always happens at Dr's office if she SEES blood. I excused her from lab for the following day - but I have never forgotten that event. I haven't needed to do blood testing anywhere but in the privacy of my home, but should that time come, I don't want to have to scoop anyone off the floor. :eek:
Now that is just WEIRD. How does she tolerate her own menstrual blood???

I not only test, I inject in public. For me it is political: YES I am diabetic, NO we are not all huge fat old slobs. And, yes, MY well-being trumps your squeamishness ... get used to it. You may be next.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
lol I could care less what other ppl think .
I mean it is not like I am breast feeding a baby or other body functions lol

Now if I had to do a insulin shot i would go to the ladies room or other spot to do that.
heck I don't give my own shots in front of my grands.thats just me I guess.
I wound not inject in a restroom -- those places are FILTHY.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Now that is just WEIRD. How does she tolerate her own menstrual blood???
As someone who used to faint at the sight of her own blood from an injury, but not at the sight of her own menstrual blood... all I can say is "I don't know why" but that's how it was. It was something I really had to get over in order to test my blood as much as I needed to. I still can't watch when they draw blood for tests.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I test "in public" but I have a huge purse so I kind of use it as a shield. I understand that people may be squeamish at the sight of blood, so I figure it's polite to hide it a bit.

Years ago I went to a presentation attended by about ten people, and one of the attendees injected insulin WHILE ASKING A QUESTION. I mean really, it seemed like he wanted to draw attention to himself. It could be that he was so used to it all that he really didn't notice, but some people faint at the sight of needles too so he really should have been more considerate.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As someone who used to faint at the sight of her own blood from an injury, but not at the sight of her own menstrual blood... all I can say is "I don't know why" but that's how it was. It was something I really had to get over in order to test my blood as much as I needed to. I still can't watch when they draw blood for tests.
Good response, silvertiger! I have a relative who is a paramedic, emergency room nurse, and all of that - and yet, when an IV needs to be started on HIM, he lets his caregiver know that he needs to be prone. Apparently he gets dizzy. How strange is that? :confused: There IS no explaining the reaction.

Reactions: Mar2a

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
But to me, being "delicate" about blood is not particularly constructive. I know, I am a committed arachnophobe, but ... are we creating MORE of the "I ain't gonna NEEDLE myself," people by protecting them?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
But to me, being "delicate" about blood is not particularly constructive. I know, I am a committed arachnophobe, but ... are we creating MORE of the "I ain't gonna NEEDLE myself," people by protecting them?
Flood therapy doesn't work that well for some phobias. I don't like spiders myself, but seeing them more often wouldn't help that, I don't think. :) If fainting wasn't a possible response, maybe... but we'd have to go through a lot of stepping over people's bodies before everyone got used to seeing needles. ;)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I test my bg's wherever I happen to be when I need to test it. I also will inject my insulin in public if need be. I am now on the pump, so I don't have that problem, but I bet it sounds funny when I send a bolus to my pump from my meter and my boobs are vibrating :D I tend to carry my pump in my bra. Just happens to be where it is most comfortable for me.

I do not discard my strips out in public though. I will keep them in my test case until I get home. I also have to carry extra infusion sets and insulin cartridges in case I accidentally pull mine out, or just because that's what you have to do. If I needed to do an infusion set change, I would go to the restroom and do it because it usually requires your pants to be somewhat down. But, when I took MDI's, I just did it under the table or would turn away from the view of anyone else and inject. Easy peasy.

Reactions: foxl and Mar2a

·
Registered
267 Posts
I test where I need to. I don't announce it but if I need to test, I test.

I will not go to a public restroom to test or inject insulin though. I can barely use a public restroom for it's intended purpose let alone to jab myself with sharp objects. Public restrooms disgust me.

I have gotten to the point where I can test and inject in no time flat. I have done it at the table with folks from work and nobody had any clue I had done it.

On one occasion, I was going to give myself an injection before eating at a restaurant. I noticed someone eyeballing me so I acted all paranoid like I was looking around to see if anyone was watching. I then tapped the pen with my finger and shot out my 2 units. I looked around real quick and pulled up my sleeve. Tapped the inside of the elbow a few times and hunched over with my back to him. Put my shot in my belly, rubbed the inside of my elbow and leaned back nice and slow like I had just felt the effects of some illicit drug. My wife didn't think it was funny but I have to do this every day and there is nothing fun about it. I needed to get a little enjoyment out of it. She was afraid they would call the police or kick us out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wound not inject in a restroom -- those places are FILTHY.
Same here. I would rather a waitress look at me funny or make a joke over using the restroom.

The last time I saw a discussion on this topic, some people mentioned being accused of being drug addicts.
I actually make light of it with my online friends when it's time for the Lantus at night... "time to go shoot up again!" They know I'm talking about insulin, but it just makes it a little light-hearted.

For test - At work, if my phone tells me it's time to test, I do it no matter what. I've brought my meter into department meetings, other meetings, tested right in front of a coworker when she was in my cube. No one has had any issues with it yet.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Flood therapy doesn't work that well for some phobias. I don't like spiders myself, but seeing them more often wouldn't help that, I don't think. :) If fainting wasn't a possible response, maybe... but we'd have to go through a lot of stepping over people's bodies before everyone got used to seeing needles. ;)
But I HAVE desensitized from spiders somewhat ... partly by having orb weavers build webs on my back deck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts