The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
OJ is loaded with carbs and sends my blood sugar through the roof. I live a fairly strict KETO lifestyle.

Normally, my version of Bulletproof Coffee Includes:

• coffee
  • coconut oil
  • ceylon cinnamon
  • granulated splenda
  • butter (kerrygold)
  • heavy whipping cream

More recently it has included:

• coffee
  • ceylon cinnamon
  • granulated splenda
  • butter (kerrygold)
  • heavy whipping cream
  • brain octane oil (by bulletproof)

That being said, my morning number are much better now, as long as I don't forget to eat something or have my coffee - otherwise my liver kicks in and dumps all kinds of glucose.
Awesome thanks ill have to try ur bullet proof coffee,

Quick q, is ur liver impaired that u know of? Liver or pancreas dumping glucose? How do u know which is doing it? Asking as a trainer brought this up the other day, i have great liver #'s but found a fee cysts on my liver

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had some quirky liver numbers in the past. Although I only drank alcohol occasionally back then (now not at all) I did take Tylenol on a fairly regular basis. I stopped both and now I take either NAC or Milk Thistle. My numbers are basically normal now. The doctor believes my liver panics when I don't eat and dumps glucose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had some quirky liver numbers in the past. Although I only drank alcohol occasionally back then (now not at all) I did take Tylenol on a fairly regular basis. I stopped both and now I take either NAC or Milk Thistle. My numbers are basically normal now. The doctor believes my liver panics when I don't eat and dumps glucose.
Yup id imagine thats what mine is doing as wrll, as i used aspirin, tylenol a lot growin up, and now have imitrex an nsaid for migraines, so yeh i can imagine mine is doin the same thing

Look into using TUDCA or tuduca spelling maybe off its one of those 2 spelling wise

Or even synthergine for liver

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cricket, can you tell me how much berberine you are taking? I take 2k metformin every day in the evening. I would love to add Berberine but wondering if I should take it all at once and how much to take?

And can anybody recommend the brand for Berberine? The choice is overwhelming.

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cricket, can you tell me how much berberine you are taking? I take 2k metformin every day in the evening. I would love to add Berberine but wondering if I should take it all at once and how much to take?

And can anybody recommend the brand for Berberine? The choice is overwhelming.
As a reminder, I am not a doctor. I don't even play one on the internet so I can only tell you what I am personally doing. I am taking 1500 mg per day, but I split it up throughout the day. 500 mg/ 3 times a day as recommended in most of the articles I have read online.

I purchased the Solaray brand because that is what my local store had available, but when I run out, I was thinking about trying another brand through Amazon. I am researching quality now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As a reminder, I am not a doctor. I don't even play one on the internet so I can only tell you what I am personally doing. I am taking 1500 mg per day, but I split it up throughout the day. 500 mg/ 3 times a day as recommended in most of the articles I have read online.

I purchased the Solaray brand because that is what my local store had available, but when I run out, I was thinking about trying another brand through Amazon. I am researching quality now.
Please do share what you find.
I always thought Solary was a reputable brand. There are certainly lots of options on Amazon.

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I decided to stick with the Solaray brand for now, simply because it has been working. I may change my mind later though. Apparently I am on a supplement kick because I picked up some Gymnema Sylvestre tonight to add to the mix.

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It is far too soon to find a correlation between before I started Gymnema Sylvestre and after (I added one into the mix last night and one today) but I just check my blood sugar and it showed a 78. Yeah, I rechecked in case it was wrong. LOLOL It's been a while since I've seen a 78. Now, I am hungry and need to see about what I am gonna eat tonight.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine is usually between 100 and 115. It goes into 90s, but I have never been able to keep it under 100 consistently in a while. I am thinking I don't have much to lose at this point. Ordered it yesterday from Amazin. 78 is amazing!

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Mine is usually between 100 and 115. It goes into 90s, but I have never been able to keep it under 100 consistently in a while. I am thinking I don't have much to lose at this point. Ordered it yesterday from Amazin. 78 is amazing!
That is how I started taking another look at supplements. I figured I didn't have much to lose testing out their impact on my results.

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Question for y'all? How long does Metformin stay in your system? I know if I accidently miss a day I don't notice a change, but I am guessing it takes a bit longer.

Let me explain why I am asking. At night, my numbers are going a bit lower than I am comfortable with. (It may be one of the supplements.) I am wondering if it is time to test my results without the Metformin?

I may wait until after my next A1c to test this, but I figured I would start considering it now.

Additional information on Metformin That I found is that it helps with other things as well, so maybe it isn't something I should consider changing.

The Many Benefits of Metformin
https://www.empoweryourhealth.org/magazine/vol7_issue3/the-many-benefits-of-metformin

What researchers have learned in the past several years is that metformin has many other positive benefits beyond controlling blood glucose levels with very low risk of causing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). One major effect of metformin is a decrease in the production and release of glucose from the liver. When used in combination with antidiabetic drug sulfonylurea or insulin, metformin also can help minimize the weight gain frequently associated with these medications. It can lower LDL (bad) cholesterol, lower blood fat levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. And when taken by individuals treated intensively with sulphonylureas, a class of oral medications that control blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes by stimulatingproduction of insulin, or insulin alone, metformin also significantly decreased the risk of stroke.

What’s more, a recent study suggested those with diabetes who take metformin reduce their risk of open angle glaucoma (pressure in the eyes) by 21 percent. Another report looking at the results of sleep studies suggested that people with diabetes who take metformin had better sleep, or if they had evidence of sleep apnea, it appeared to be less severe. And there is even evidence that metformin might be good for bone density, with a positive effect on specific cells involved in bone formation. Recent studies have examined whether the use of metformin in those with kidney disease may be much safer than originally thought. Similarly, in people who have a chronic condition such as congestive heart failure, there is accumulating evidence that metformin again might be much safer than researchers initially theorized.
Maybe back off of one of the supplements I take?

Just rambling thoughts for now...

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
Are you feeling anything or is just the number bothering you? I wouldn't worry about the number unless I was going down below 60, but that is just me.

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Are you feeling anything or is just the number bothering you? I wouldn't worry about the number unless I was going down below 60, but that is just me.
Other than waking up in the middle of the night with restless legs (which used to happen with me a lot, so it may be unrelated) the lowest has been 63. I did not feel bad, but it was low enough that I ate some peanut butter before going back to bed just in case.

Funny side note, when I first started LCHF I felt horrible when my blood sugar went below 100. That feeling has long since passed.

Added note: This seems to be a nightly thing recently.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, I saw an 80 for the first time now that I added Berberine to Metformin. Morning one is still over 100, but at least I got somewhere. Hopefully morning will come down as well.

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, I saw an 80 for the first time now that I added Berberine to Metformin. Morning one is still over 100, but at least I got somewhere. Hopefully morning will come down as well.
After my next doctors appointment, I may test without Metformin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, color me inspired! I've taken the plunge and have started adding Berberine and Milk Thistle to my routine. If I can stomach it I'll add the Apple Cider Vinegar as well. Here's hoping!!!

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, color me inspired! I've taken the plunge and have started adding Berberine and Milk Thistle to my routine. If I can stomach it I'll add the Apple Cider Vinegar as well. Here's hoping!!!
I have gotten used to the Apple Cider Vinegar by simply adding some to a glass of water.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
View attachment 9721

I know we have discussed Berberine as a replacement for Metformin (for some people) but I am curious if any of y'all have tried them together?

II am going to start testing results with taking both and see if it makes any difference in my morning numbers.
Hi Cricket, how many mgs are you taking? I can't really tell from the picture.

I think I'm going to try this.

Thanks.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts