The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been doing well with my BG's lately, and have decided to start undertaking some longer rides...

To prepare for tonight's lung-busting Quad-Burner, I'm fueling up with OATMEAL.

Yup, Oatmeal. I've tried oatmeal before, and it's never worked out for me, but today I'm trying it again before a very difficult hill workout of 2-3 hours in length.

I'll test 1hr after, and at 2hrs, 2.5hrs, 3hrs, 3.5hrs and 4hrs after now to see how it goes... I'm thinking that with the workout I'm about to do, and the slow-digestion of the oats I'm eating, that I might stay well-fueled and hopefully not spike to much.

I'll report results of my crazy experiment on myself.

Yours Truly,

The Human Guinea Pig

Reactions: rvknott and d33na

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, Oatmeal isn't half-bad when covered in heavy cream and fresh berries... :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The only time I carb up or eat bread is before a 3-4 hour hike in the hills. I figure I would rather chance of being a little high than the opposite in the middle of the woods. Let us know how it turns out. I feel if you are burning calories you may need the extra carbs.

Reactions: rvknott

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First I should report I had plenty of energy during the ride. I only supplemented with water - no powerbars or accellerade, etc.

Blood Glucose readings:

Pre-Oatmeal: 5.5 (99)
1 hr Post-Meal: 6.2 (112)
2 hr Post-Meal: 7.4 (134) :eek:
2.5hr Post-Meal: 4.5 (81) - I started riding 2hrs and 15 minutes after the oatmeal, fyi.
3 hr Post-Meal: 5.1 (92)
3.5hr Post-Meal: 4.7 (85)
4 hr Post-Meal: 5.2 (94)
5 hr Post-Meal: 5.2 (94)

So this is most-certainly NOT something I'd want to eat on a regular basis, EXCEPT before a hard workout. Even then, I do NOT like the 7.4 reading, that's much higher than I like to be.

I did eat enough to give me about 60g of carb, for those wondering... I also added about 1/4 C of heavy cream and 1/2 C of blueberries...

Reactions: jwags
O

·
0 Posts
I eat porridge every morning and I usually get at 5 something at the 2 hour mark. Is your oatmeal the really fine stuff and not whole oats? Maybe use real oats instead and cut back on the berries and you may get a better result. Oats would be a good carb for exercise as it's low GI and would give sustained energy release.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I eat porridge every morning and I usually get at 5 something at the 2 hour mark. Is your oatmeal the really fine stuff and not whole oats? Maybe use real oats instead and cut back on the berries and you may get a better result. Oats would be a good carb for exercise as it's low GI and would give sustained energy release.
What we have in the house is basic "rolled oats".

Reactions: rvknott
O

·
0 Posts
What we have in the house is basic "rolled oats".
oh Ok... that's the best type :D When you said 'oatmeal'... here it's a processed food they sell on our grocery shelves... very fine processed oats.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Beefy - you're very lucky. I am one of the weird people who actually love oatmeal, especially in the middle of Winter. However, even if I eat Irish Oatmeal which is whole grain and quite coarse, my BG will go 'off the charts'. I am on insulin and I use a pump and still........it does very bad things to my blood sugar. And if I piled on blueberries and cream ......omg ...... well it is something I can eat only in my dreams. Sorry Shanny........didn't mean to mention "that fruit" again :)

Reactions: Shanny
O

·
0 Posts
Beefy - you're very lucky. I am one of the weird people who actually love oatmeal, especially in the middle of Winter. However, even if I eat Irish Oatmeal which is whole grain and quite coarse, my BG will go 'off the charts'. I am on insulin and I use a pump and still........it does very bad things to my blood sugar. And if I piled on blueberries and cream ......omg ...... well it is something I can eat only in my dreams. Sorry Shanny........didn't mean to mention "that fruit" again :)
sorry to hear that... especially if you love it. :( We're all so different with what we can tolerate. I'm one of those people that can tolerate oats.
@ Beefy - how are you going? Did you trial it again by any chance?

·
Registered
40 Posts

You're not weird. I eat steel cut oats (Irish oatmeal), barley and quinoa. I've also had millet, buckwheat, and couscous. I've never noticed anything bad with eating Irish oatmeal, but I think quinoa shoots my numbers up.

Grain, 1/4 t cinnamon, 1/4 t nutmeg, 1.5 T walnuts, 1/2 c. (measured) lite, plain soy milk. Yummy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
in Indonesia here, the available oatmeal is only instant / fast cooking Quacker Oatmeal , and they succeded on making public opinion for " Oatmeal are safe for diabetics". So, some doctors even give strong suggestion to change the whole wheat bread breakfast with oatmeal.

The worst part is, when you hear people talking, they'll tell each other that eating Oatmeal is safe for diabetics, and it can be use to replace rice ( rice is our main carbs here in Indonesia ).

But after read this thread, looks like Oatmeal is surely not a safe one, especially the instant one.

God I wish people can all stop suggesting oatmeal for rice replacement here :D

:confused::confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
God I wish people can all stop suggesting oatmeal for rice replacement here
It might not make any difference since rice is not good for most diabetics either. I'm sure it's very difficult navigating around rice in Indonesia - and they don't know how to say flatly: no rice.

A friend told me last night that she got some various colored rice from a local grower, had 1/2 cup, and didn't spike. But - her numbers generally aren't in the range that would make me comfortable, and I don't know what her definition of not spiking is.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I also did my Oatmeal Experiment a couple weeks ago since I absolutely love oatmeal and really didn't want to give it up. I ate it with regular milk and some artificial granulated sweetener (Canderel). (I would normally have some brown sugar on it but...:rolleyes:). Anyway, my numbers went from 5.9 (106) to 7.8 (140) two hours PP. My numbers are consistently low enough that I can state without hesitation that any reading above 120 is a spike in my books. My highest number ever 11.8 (212) was the result of eating sweetened granola cereal.

Today I will be doing a Bran Experiment using All Bran cereal although I really already know it will spike me *sigh*.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...my numbers went from 5.9 (106) to 7.8 (140) two hours PP.
Might even have been higher at 2 1/2 or 3 hrs too...

Today I will be doing a Bran Experiment using All Bran cereal although I really already know it will spike me *sigh*.
Virtually every commercially prepared cereal, regardless of how "heart-healthy" or "low-fat" the companies tout it to be, is much higher in the glycemic index than rolled oats, and much more likely to spike you even higher than the oatmeal did.

Today I had a 3 egg omelette (fried in BUTTER) w/ gr. onion, gr. pepper, ham, cheese and spices along with 3 medium strawberries, sliced, covered in splenda and real whipped cream. I went from a 6.5 (117) at fasting to a 5.5 (99) 1hr post... my body seems to be rather quickly using it's blood glucose at the moment... no wonder I'm dumping today.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Might even have been higher at 2 1/2 or 3 hrs too...

Virtually every commercially prepared cereal, regardless of how "heart-healthy" or "low-fat" the companies tout it to be, is much higher in the glycemic index than rolled oats, and much more likely to spike you even higher than the oatmeal did.

Today I had a 3 egg omelette (fried in BUTTER) w/ gr. onion, gr. pepper, ham, cheese and spices along with 3 medium strawberries, sliced, covered in splenda and real whipped cream. I went from a 6.5 (117) at fasting to a 5.5 (99) 1hr post... my body seems to be rather quickly using it's blood glucose at the moment... no wonder I'm dumping today.
The sad part is that I already know that but just wanted to believe for a minute that it might be possible to not spike from eating cereal. I never did go through with the experiment. Instead I ate my typical breakfast consisting of 10 almonds, 3-4 small strawberries, some sliced cucumber, a couple slices fresh Spanish chorizo, coffee with coconut oil and a couple slices of low carb bread with peanut butter.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
When I get a tenacious jones for cereal, I have occasionally gone to the lengths of mixing a few spoonfuls of chopped nuts - walnuts/pecans/almonds/sesame seed - with a drizzle of heavy cream & a coupla drops of EZ-Sweet. The whole serving probl'y winds up about 3/8 cup, possibly 1/4 cup if I'm starved, but it does relieve the craving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts