The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanksgiving is coming up in about 1.5 weeks and I'm just starting to get a handle on my pre-diabetic diagnosis.

For the experienced diabetics on this forum, please post how you get through the day, especially the psychology of it. What do you tell yourself? How you handle the temptations? Do you avoid doing the cooking? Do you automatically go for a walk after the main meal?

Thanks,

not yet

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I limit myself to 130g of carbs per day, including holidays. Therefore I eat a small amount of dressing and gravy but lots of turkey. Turkey has no carbs. I will be full and satisfied. Then I repeat that meal the next two days. On the fourth and fifth days we have turkey hash, using the remaining turkey chopped up, dressing and gravy, all mixed together. I still keep my carbs at 130 per day and do not overeat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Richard.

I just found a book that states the 130 g carbs is the minimum needed for brain function.

I confess I'm going to use my pre-diabetic diagnosis to get out of making a cake. Every year I made the same cake and it was very good. My family really liked it, but over time, they didn't eat as much; I became really tired of making it. However, my brother still raves about it. This year, I'm going to use the pre-diabetes as an excuse to get out of having to make it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
tips

some of the things I do on holiday meals and social events:

1. I eat before I leave home. It more difficult to control myself when I am hungry.

2. Since you are pre-diabetic, I think you should eat one dessert and one only. I deserve it. Don't punish yourself. This will help you to behave yourself during meal.

3. Avoid heavy calories food like: gravy, mush potatoes.

4. I usually bring a dish for everyone. Something that I will be able to eat. This way I look very nice and polite but actually I am taking care of myself.

Remember that type 2 is a result of insulin resistance. One of the things that cause IR is over weight. Don't calculate carbs only. think of calories as well.

happy holidays
Iris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.