The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
After looking around on this site, I am so inspired! I'm 40, married wityh 2 kids ages 4 1/2 & 2 1/2. I recently went to the doc ( On Monday) He took blood work and called me to tell me he was not thrilled with the results- My blood sugar was 292. I am overweight. I am on BP med (Benicar) and he now wants me to take Metformin Hcl 500mg 1 pill around dinner time a day for 2 weeks and see where we are at then go up to 2 pills a day. I made a commitment to myself to change my lifestyle. So although he said I am not diabetic- I am certainly on my way unless I start changing things aroumd.
After looking around this site, I took so many ideas and started my own list- A shopping list of foods to get, go low on carbs. etc...
I know this wont be easy, but I have to do this for me, for my husband and especially for my kids.
thats it for now.. If anyone has any suggestions or tips on getting started, please feel free to interject. Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, welcome to our community! I am Type 1 using insulin. All diabetics and people who tend to occasionally run high blood sugar need to eat a low carb diet and exercise frequently. I recommend the book called "The Calorie King" for determining the number of carbs in what you eat. I ordered mine from amazon.com. I limit myself to an average of 130 grams of carbs each day. I also walk about 3 miles per day. I am 69 so that is about all I can handle. Younger diabetics can exercise more than me. I have been diabetic for 63 years and I am very healthy. If you eat low carb and exercise you may not become a diabetic. Good luck!

Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome Wildachyld!! WAY TO GO!!!
You can do it and get yourself off meds. I was 60 lbs overweight, prediabetic and was headed toward developing type 2 like others in my family. I went low carb, exercised and lost the weight. I still remain low carb because my glucose will spike if I consume too many carbs and sugars. I feel so much better and have more energy than I did when I was in my 20's. I'm 56 and am raising my 5 year old grandson. I just put my track shoes on and run around with him. :) Don't believe the myths out there that going low carb will leave you feeling tired and worn out. Keep up the good work! I wish you luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts