The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of recent immigrants from Turkey just opened a new restaurant so my spouse and I decided to give it a try. It was a kabob place so I ordered Turkish Kabob.

Although the chicken was nicely spiced - it tasted like the cook added sugar to everything.

I normally give myself 10 units of fast acting insulin for lunch but in anticipation of the extra carbs (rice and some beet based salad) I gave myself 15 units.

Two hours later I tested myself to see if I guessed reasonably well with my insulin dosage. I was at 243. Just gave myself another 5 units which should get me back down to an acceptable BG level.

So what I thought was the least damaging meal I could order from this place ... I needed literally twice the amount of insulin to deal with the sugars and carbs. The sad thing about it - I didn't finish the meal because I knew it was going to play havoc with my BG levels.

Talking about the adventures of eating at a new place - don't think I will be giving it another try.

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
Sounds like a place you could request the ingredients before ordering and possibly the chefs would be able to customize your order to include/exclude certain things.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
I'd bet there's sugar in the kabob marinate, though. Tough to pull that out.

We don't go to restaurants nearly as often as we did before I took my T2 seriously. There are so many places where the non-carb-laden choices are few (and, too often, little more than a mostly-naked burger or a chicken ceasar salad and even they can be suspect). But it's really frustrating when the items you think would be safe -- aren't.

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't thing about making a batch of sauce. I was thinking along the lines of putting all the ingredients together per order they cooked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts