The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Wow.. I understand the argument. Modern wheat, by design, does stimulate hunger and raises blood sugar much like a simple sugar, no question. And, chemically, it is also now very addictive. Obesity, especially now classified as a disease, is going to be big business. But, they are correct in that obesity being classified as a disease will relieve those afflicted from the stigma of inappropriate blame. But, I do not fully believe that drugs and bariatric surgery are the cure or the answer for everyone, and I certainly hope that they would look more closely at underlying physical problems which caused the obesity to begin with.

As soon as I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 and got my blood sugars under control with LCHF the weight just literally fell off. So, yes, I am certain obesity is a symptom of a deeper physical problem. Diabetes causes obesity, Not the other way around. It's positively freeing to know this, now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm a believer. My diet is not all that different than before. I cut out grain products, rice, and potatoes. The weight is flying off without really working all that hard, and I feel much better.

I suffered for 9 days in the process. I was jittery, wasn't sleeping well, and had a near indomitable urge to eat some cereal or something. It was ridiculous! I'm on the other side of that now and I feel great. I easily turned down free pizza this afternoon, at work.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Of course it is not the same, but I had a pizza omelet just now! Simple and fast -- which is always good for a craving.

·
Registered
583 Posts
OMG this is such a hot button and will cause a blazing firestorm from all sides! Why not also deem smoking as a disease? That will probably be next....darn, I quit 8 years ago.

·
Cheryl
693 Posts
Will those with the disease of obesity (which I believe I have being 5'8 and 237lbs) be able to claim discrimination if they are charged more for seating on an airplane or being charged a higher rate for ins?

I also believe obesity is a symptom of other issues and if those could be corrected the weight issue would follow suite

1 - 6 of 6 Posts