The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this list at my diabetes self education class, I thought it was worth sharing.

The Commandments For Living Well With Diabetes

1. Thou shalt find a doctor and diabetes educator who understands that type 2 diabetes is not a character flaw and thou shalt honor them.

2. Thou shalt visit thy doctor and diabetes educator every three months for monitoring for complications and a glycohemoglobin test.

3. Thou shalt have blood pressure and blood lipids monitored every three months and keep them in the normal range, and ask thy doctor if thou should take a baby aspirin every day.

4. Thou shalt work with thy dietitian to design a livable, yet healthy diet (high fiber, low fat, low protein, low sugar and low salt) that includes goodies now and then so thou won't covet sweets and pig out.

5. Thou shalt monitor blood glucose levels regularly and especially do a test when thou don't want to.

6. Thou shalt wash thy feet and check them daily, and see a podiatrist every two to three months.

7. Thou shalt have urine checked for microalbuminuria (microscopic levels of protein) every year after five years of diabetes and have any urinary tract infections treated immediately.

8. Thou shalt wear a medical ID tag at all times.

9. Thou shalt not smoke nor take up any tobacco products.

10. Thou shalt see an opthalmologist at least annually.

11. Thou shalt get a flu shot every year and wear a seat belt at all times whither thou goest.

12. Thou shalt not beget any babies until blood sugars are perfect and thy doctor has blessed any begettin'.

13. Thou shalt love thyself as a worthwhile person with many wonderful qualities and facets and not flog thyself for having diabetes or the occasional blooper blood sugar.

By Virginia Valentine, RN, MS, CDE

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oh thanks, Breeze! I love this . . . and especially "the occasional blooper blood sugar"! Now I know what mine's doing tonight - blooping! :D :D :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
OMG! I love this! Are you serious!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That is awesome...I love it. Especially #1. I cant tell you how many people over the course of my life have said...oh well...you are just Type 2...take a walk occasionally and you will be fine! Its like they dont realize that not only are we dealing with a pancreas that isnt producing like it should we are dealing with insulin resistance on top of that. I printed this out to keep it :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
My favorite is #5 which is the one I have been known not to follow as I should:

Thou shalt monitor blood glucose levels regularly and especially do a test when thou don't want to.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My favorite is #5 which is the one I have been known not to follow as I should:

Thou shalt monitor blood glucose levels regularly and especially do a test when thou don't want to.
Your meter is your new best buddy. I carry mine with me where ever I go. I keep a "kit" with me. My meter, fresh batteries, extra insulin, syringes and pump supplies and a couple of "rescue snacks" in case I go low. I also test my blood sugar every time before I drive my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts