The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
blame.jpg

Way too often we play the blame game when it comes to our diabetes.

What if we would have eaten healthier? What if we would have exercised more?

What if? What if? What if?

I know that I have done this. Have you?

In the end, I don't think we can focus on HOW we got where we are today.

I think our focus, for each of us, has to be on what we can do to fully control our diabetes right now.

·
Super Moderator
1,757 Posts
I've experienced some of that. But, then, I sometimes ask myself what if I'd completed my first college degree instead of switching to a far less lucrative field? What if I had done different things in my first marriage? Life is full of ways to apply that hindsight.

So, yes, what we can change and do is what we do from now on. How we got here is not important; where we go from here is.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
For me as I aged, the 'blame game' became less of a factor. I have few regrets in my life and those that I do have, I am able to work on in my retirement, (get back into music, workout, eat better foods, develop a new hobby, spend more time with my kids and Grandkids, etc....

I believe that if I had lived a healthier life style I may have delayed the onset of diabetes....but that is all! Since I have been able to take control of my disease...thanks to LCHF and all of you, even this leaves me with few regrets...

Enjoy each day as if it were your last....because someday it will be!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I blame my parents. Well, not directly, but my parents' doctor did say that since they were both diabetics, my siblings and I were at high risk to develop it later in life. Well, here I am!

I do have some regrets like eating a fully raw breakfast. Last year before diagnosis, I got hooked on this You Tube video from a young lady, Kristina, who said she reversed her diabetes by eating fully raw. She said to start slowly with one meal. I was on Weight Watchers at the time, so I decided to start with breakfast. I was eating a banana, grapes, and apples everyday!

When I found out that bananas and grapes were high on the carb list, I had to shake my head. How the heck did this young lady reverse her diabetes by eating this way? She eats a lot of fruits high in carbs, plus she eats very little fat.

I'm not saying that my fully raw breakfast resulted in my diagnosis. I just cringe to think how high my BG was at the time eating all that high carb fruit. I cringe to think the damage I was doing to my body.

But, like the rest of you, I've taken control of my disease. I'm still flirting with some fruit...LOL!

·
Registered
799 Posts
The Blame Game is useful only in that one can teach younger people to do some things better. My sister, for instance, continues to be free of diabetes. She has now equaled the age of the youngest diabetic in my extended family with no sign of it, so this is GREAT! The biggest problem those in my family have with food is a tendency to eat when anxious and if you can control THAT, you are well on your way to prevent eventual diabetes.

Alamo, for a lot of T2's, just losing weight if you are overweight will help to reset the blood sugar. Doesn't make you non-diabetic, but will help with control for a long time. Yes, you can do it with fruit and vegetables and low calorie, but let's face it, most of us HAVE done that and long term success failed. I didn't get fat on fruit and vegetables, I got fat on bread and potatoes (ok, and maybe a few desserts). Now, this is really generalized. What do you do if you STILL have blood sugar issues and you are normal weight? Well, that's where you look for other options. LCHF works for lots of those folks, but clearly not all of our board members. I have LADA so will always be on insulin, but as I loose weight, hopefully less.

Reactions: kazz8888

·
Registered
143 Posts
I blame my parents for everything :) well that was until I had four kids of my own. But really no diabeties at all in my dads or my mums family and theirs before. I was warned by my doctors, when I had gestational diabeties with the last 2 of my pregnancies that I could develop Diabeties down the track. Never considered myself as a sweet tooth. Always thought I had a more savoury taste..bread, savoury biscuits, pasta, rice, need I say more...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Kazzz, that's part of the problem. Everybody brought up sweets. They never told me about potatoes, rice and bread being just as bad. Starch causes diabetes? Really? Anyway, I only found out about it from a Native American friend who developed diabetes (NA's have a high rate of diabetes). By then, I had pre-diabetes.

Reactions: Cricket

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I don't think sugars and starches 'cause diabetes', not that I have read, except maybe in news papers (Fake News)!

I think diets high in sugar and/or starches accelerates the onset of diabetes in people that are genetically prone to get the disease.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't think sugars and starches 'cause diabetes', not that I have read, except maybe in news papers (Fake News)!

I think diets high in sugar and/or starches accelerates the onset of diabetes in people that are genetically prone to get the disease.
Maybe many factors can be "blamed" I think the whole low fat blah blah and also sugar free diet drinks have a role in it all too. Also when I was a young mum I thought I was doing the right thing putting a juice popper in for my kids lunches and a muesli bar instead of a piece of homemade cake!
Funny how the food industry just jumps on the band wagon at any given time and change. Gluten free is another gimmick. Anyway at the end of the day it is what it is for us all here and it's a waste of each of our precious resources to spend time blaming. Wished I had my time over with my kids, however I do have a nine year old grandson I can influence and he makes a pretty dam good bacon and eggs or scrambled eggs as opposed to cereal before he goes to school :)

Reactions: div2live and VeeJay

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Exactly! ..............

I don't hear this in the media though. They are still stuck on "Sloth and Gluttony"

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
...I do have a nine year old grandson I can influence and he makes a pretty dam good bacon and eggs or scrambled eggs as opposed to cereal before he goes to school :)
Aren't Grandkids the best! We are blessed with 6! Twin girls who turned 21 this year, plus two Grandson's and two more Granddaughters. Range from age 21 -2.

My generation was raised on high carb hi fat diets. Our parents went through the depression and a World War. They were short of food when young. As adults they ate very healthy, unfortunately many of them smoked most of their lives. Both my parents and all my Grandparents died of smoking related disease. None were diagnosed with diabetes although late in life my Father was 'told' he might be diabetic. He already had heart problems and just ignored the diabetes.....He was a foot soldier in WWII with General Patton.....he walked across France and into Germany then was wounded in Germany a month before the war ended in Europe, he fully recovered from his wounds.....I am very proud of his service, I miss him every day!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I blame my diabetes on marriage. LOL Before that, I was eating low carb and exercising to control my weight. I had no medical problems. After marriage, I followed in my husbands footsteps and I allowed myself to start eating poorly, carbs, sugar, and I gained 80 lbs, which brought heart disease and diabetes along with it. I love my husband dearly, but truly believe I would still be thin and healthy if I had stayed single, controlling what food comes into the house, and finds it's way into my mouth.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I married the worlds' biggest carbloader and three years later gave birth to his mini-me. I'm teaching the Boy™ the benefits of lowered-carb eating because I was GD with him and because of that, he's likely to have problems down the road. It's a completely genetic thing as sugar processing issues (whether it's dx'd as diabetes or 'hypoglycemia') has run rampant through my family and I tell him he doesn't want to poop out his beta cells before he's an adult. I'm sure we'll have this conversation many, many times as he ages into adolescence.

I shudder to think about all of the full-sugar soda I drank in my teens and through to my 30s.

I know, now, that I canNOT eat like others. To do so would be detrimental to my health. And for anyone who tries to push unwanted carbs on me, I'm starting to apply the 'peanut allergy defense'. As in, "Would you offer peanut butter to someone with a peanut allergy? No? Then let's just say I'm allergic to carbohydrates and be done with it."

Reactions: mbuster and VeeJay

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't explain my diabetes to anyone. I usually say "No thank you, I don't care for any" or "I'm not hungry." I repeat sternly if they persist. My MIL used to set things in front of me anyway, and I would just leave them sit. Some people know I have diabetes but still offer me things. I have put things on my plate and not eaten them. It gets the point across. Some people think sugar is the only problem. They don't realize about carbs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interestingly, my MIL is also the worst culprit in my world. The irony is she *has to eat every two hours or suffers from the shakes. Sound familiar?

I lost 57 pounds through a very strict diet two years ago and I'm doing lchf to keep it off. That seems to speak to her in a way no other way can, so I basically do what you do, Carol. Unless she won't stop. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts