The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Its me, James here again. I don't post too much except on updates on myself, in which case I hope it gives everyone some hope and motivation.

The last week of June this year I was diagnoised with Type 2 diabetes. When I was admitted to the hospital and they ran my A1C, it was over 16.9. A little less than 3 months later, I took my very first A1C test since that time, and measured a 5.6. 16.9 was the highest ever registered at the hospital I was admitted to, and 11.3 percent is the largest drop they have ever seen.

It is nothing short of a miracle. My doctor's face was in complete shock. What did I do? I substituted fries for a salad. I went from drinking regular soda to diet, with on occasion mixed drink with reg. soda. Three times a week I lift dumbells in my office during lunch, intake more fiber, drink water like its going out of stock, and enjoy some "low carb" foods. I have taken my Metformin as prescribed, and continued to not let my Diabetes define me, but instead make me a better healthier person.

Obviously it would short-sighted of me to say that this is the end and I am done, but this is just the beginning. My doctor told me "aim for below 7 percent, and you should be good", but good is not good enough for me. I wish my luck and hard work onto everyone else. Diabetes doesn't require a life change, just some small changes your life.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Great stuff Tolarius on finding the right pathway so quickly! That is a truly massive change in such a short time and it shows just what can be done through the power of diet!

Keep on going - and telling everyone what you are doing and achieving!

Best wishes - John

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Way to go, James! That's an incredible improvement, and you deserve bragging rights for this one . . . I hope you'll continue dropping in from time to time - I really enjoy these inspiring updates! How's the wedding planning going?

B

·
0 Posts
Congratulations..!!, But I'm Confused.

Tolarius/James said in part..

When I was admitted to the hospital and they ran my A1C, it was over 16.9. A little less than 3 months later, I took my very first A1C test since that time, and measured a 5.6. 16.9 was the highest ever registered at the hospital I was admitted to, and 11.3 percent is the largest drop they have ever seen.
First off.. CONGRATULATIONS..!!, but I'm confused.

Of course if you were to ask my wife she would say I've been walking around most of my life married to her that way, anyways. :confused: ;)

Your numbers of 16.9/5.6 equaling a percentage of 11.3 don't fit right in my calculator. Now I'm NOT complaining here, (and congratulations once again), but somehow I tried crunching the numbers and I come up with a different "percentage". It's obvious I'm missing something here.

I took 16.9 (your original test result) and multiplied it by 66.86 "percent".. which gave me the answer of 11.3, or the total number of "points" you dropped within that 3 month period.. which if subtracted from 16.9 equaled 5.6

So wouldn't your total "percentage" drop be 66.86% (in stead of 11.3).. where as 11.3 would be your total "point" drop? Just asking. Not trying to make a big deal out of it, but sometimes I DO get confused when it comes to things like that.

CONGRATS..!! (For a third time).

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
204 Posts
Surely, he meant 16.9% - 5.6% = 11.3%.

Quite simple that for me to understand and I had my 67th birthday yesterday! :)

But yes technically you are right - it is a 66.86% improvement! Massive!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts