The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
you're doing well there Sketch'd :D I eat carbs myself with every meal. I've always had a low fat diet generally. My LDL increased when I increased meat intake. I'm now in a position where I have to have low fat diet too due to functional dyspepsia. Fat slows stomach digestion down apparently... so I need to be careful as I need to get my stomach to digest properly.
@Shanny... this guy that did the high fat vs carbs study... did he look at what it does to the digestion by any chance? I'm thinking if it's known to slow it down... that's not good for a diabetic. We need to have our nerves/muscles functioning at optimum level... not sluggish.
Look under 'diet' and the 'fat' paragraph (other sites saying the same):
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - How is dyspepsia (indigestion) treated on MedicineNet
Even though fat is not known to cause dyspepsia as such... I wouldn't think slowing down your stomach muscles would necessarily be a good idea anyhow.
The article is specifically aimed ONLY at those with dyspepsia and still it is filled with "weak evidence" "may" "possibly" and really only suggests that low fat may reduce the effects of dyspepsia. The article makes no suggestions at all with respect to those without dyspepsia. Again, a reminder that what works for one will not work for everyone. Slower digestion maybe optimum for many or even most people - "sluggish" is not synonymous with slower.

I'll grant you that with a better search you can come up with numerous articles bashing fat and many will be from respected medical sources. On the other hand, if you take a balanced approach you will also find that a search of "low fat myth" will result in tons of information showing that the original demonization of fat was done for political reasons and that it has never been medically established that fat is bad for you. There is abundant recent research showing that fats are not evil.

For 30+ years we have been following the low-fat high-carb diet presented to us, as well as reducing smoking rates, increasing exercise rates, etc. and the end result is we are fatter with more heart disease, more diabetes, more asthma, etc. Where are the positive effects?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.