The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

just joined last week but have already taken in a lot of info about Diabetes. If you saw my intro posts, you know I'm a Wisconsinite with a serious bread/olive/meat/cheese/cashews/etc. problem ;), and was recently scared straight by my doc. I found out Friday (after joining up here) that there's a chance I've got prediabetes given symptoms I showed in jUly and general bad health, and have to fast + go in for a test next week......

You can imagine that was a bit of a shock/coincidence on Fri., given that when I joined this forum all I really knew (or had paid attention to) was that I had to be more careful with my diet given some observations th doctor made last month during a routine physical. So I came on here, got some input, and decided to speak to the nurse on Friday to find out more specifics if there were any.

That's when she said I would need to come in for testing, and was actually supposed to have made an appointment a week ago! It wasn't just a case of a more or less gentle "better be careful, Steve" like I thought but rather, "we need to check this thing out NOW, buddy." so it's been a weird few days for me and Amy, but glad to be here where there's so much info and support.

sorry for the preface.

so Anyway I've been reading around a lot and getting some more insight, especially diet-wise, as without knowing much _for sure_ that's all I really know to focus on at this time. It makes me feel a bit more in control here. My fiancee tells me that I would be happy in Italy (she lived there in her teens) because of my olive/cheese/meat/bread obsession. I agree. Others have said, "you could live on a Mediterranean diet, pretty much, huh?" or something to that effect

But I didn't (don't) really know what that meant, "Mediterranean," until I came across this article that merges two things in my life: an apparent love of mediterranean foods, and a recent fact-hunting mission Re: diabetes. Swear I was searching for "diabetes diet" and not "I love meat/cheese/olives + diabetes?" though don't put it past me :) Here's what I got: Going Mediterranean Could Cut Your Diabetes Risk | Pure Matters Ittalks about olive (oil) and nuts,which is nice--any idea if cheese/bread come under here as well? Again, still not sure what all is "Mediterranean." Guessing this might not apply, since it says "Cutting back on saturated fat, found in fatty meats and in full-fat dairy products, also helps maintain or improve insulin sensitivity, research suggests." :(

Any idea if this is a tried-and-true good track to be on for the undiagnosed? Also, what else might be easily integrated and tastes good? Really, any general ease-my-way-in diet advice is much appreciated. Still bummed about the full-fat dairy and fatty meats warning, though.... :)

Thx
-Steve

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
People are on different types of diets here, we even have some vegetarians, but most seem to go with the low carb/high fat diet. Yes, I know, it goes against everything we have been taught, and everything our doctors and dieticians tell us, and it would take too long for anyone to explain it here, so we usually recommend that newbies go to Welcome to BloodSugar.com and read the whys and hows, and there is sound research to back up the low carb/high fat diet as healthy, not only for diabetics, but for everyone. I can give you a partial list of foods that can be eaten on that diet. Some of us stay away from processed food, some eat sausage, pork rinds, and other things that are processed, that is up to you.

All meat, poultry, fish, eggs. Veggies that are low on the glycemic index like cabbage, green beans, etc. Use real mayonnaise, not the fake stuff. Real butter, not margarine. Heavy cream (whipping cream) diluted half with water instead of milk. Real cheese instead of processed. Some use olive oil, some use coconut oil or both. Yes, olives are fine and so are nuts. When it comes to bread, there are low carb breads on the market. Some can eat them, some can't because it spikes their bg too much.

If you go to the Atkins website, they have food lists there and that is pretty much the same things we eat. There is a recipe section here that you can check out. There are low carb recipes in existance for pumpkin pie, cakes, cookies, just about any junk food you can name. So we don't give up all the good stuff, we just use our healthy ingredients to make 'junk food' if that is what it takes to keep us on our low carb diets. Some can stick on the diet forever eating only meat and veggies, others wouldn't be able to stick with it if it wasn't for the faux junk food recipes.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Oh, Gizmo, you forgot the wonderful Chocolate Cake in the recipe section! And, today I found a very low carb Chocolate Oopsie /berry/almond/whipped cream dessert idea. I'm sure I can find it again if it's okay to post recipes from other sources. It would be lovely for guests. I don't really eat desserts often, but knowing where some are when I need something for guests.

Go look at our recipe section for some other ideas, and the 'what's for supper' gives lots of brain starters too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great response; thank you very much for taking the time. I will check out BloodSugar.com this evening, for sure. I especially like what you have to say about the "reals" and "faux junk"--I'm looking forward to sharing this info with my family/friends, even those who aren't "at risk." I've noticed that my local grocery store has some low carb breads in stock, so I'll definitely give a loaf a try. I'm a bakery fiend--but I'm also more keen on compromising these days, for my health and my future. Thank you, -Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Patdart! That sounds delicious. I'm a baker myself (uncle and grandfather ran a bake shop near Madison for many years up until '95), so you can imagine how enticing the recipe section is. -S

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds great to me, Jason. I like that it's been around so long, and the "menu" it offers aligns very well with my habits. Great stuff. -S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts