The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok, so as of right now, I am NOT seeing a doctor of any kind. I am beginning to think that all the Dr's here in GA are nuts. None that I have seen so far seem to have any idea what to do with my blood sugars. All they say to me is that I am a "fragile/brittle diabetic." They check my A1C which is a 10+ and then change a dose around or two and send me on my way. I am beginning to think that I should attempt to come up with a plan of action for myself. By this I mean that since no Dr has taught me this "counting carb" thing, I should most likely just learn it myself and give it a try. It can't possibly hurt. My BS fluctuates from 50-600 on a day to day basis, so this will be nothing new to me. All I have been told about it was that its a mathematical equation right? Can someone tell me what it is so I can look into it further?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
An endocrinologist appointment, a session with a diabetes educator and a basal/bolus program should put you in good shape. Find an endocrinologist and get the ball rolling. Good luck!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You can get hold of the reins, Bex, and finding a diabetes doc who listens is the place to start. You may have to shop around - it sometimes takes a few false starts - but having a doc whom you trust is worth its weight in gold.

Other resources include books by such authors as Gary Scheiner, who outlines the journey in a well-written book titled Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin. John Walsh is another one - Using Insulin, as well as Jenny Ruhl (blogger at bloodsugar101) and Gretchen Becker (low carb regimen). I haven't posted links, but these names are easily found by Googling.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I definitely feel a lot more secure about making good decisions since taking the diabetes education classes offered at our local hospital. Also, there is a support group there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well the fact is that the person who is most responsible for managing the diabetes is you. The doctor's only know what they read in textbooks or see in labs, the practical experience are learned in the trenches, so reading what other diabetics have written is very valuable.

Are you a type 1 or type 2? Type 2 is in my mind harder to get your blood sugars in control, you are required to change your lifestyle in order to see results which can be rough right out the gates.

Type 1 you just need to work out the right relationship of Insulin to Carbs, insulin to BG, and carbs to BG.

If you are a type 1 I will try and help with what knowledge I have gained overtime about trying to figure out your numbers. It's really just a matter of trial and error, you need to reduce as many variables as possible. So consider buying some cans of Chef Boyardee Ravioli as your lunch for a week. Or any canned food that gives you a nutritional lable, however make it the same food.

Every day pick a number... say 85 BG don't eat lunch until your blood sugar is around 90-85 BG. Then take your insulin and start making your meal. For me the conversion is 1 unit of humalog covers me about 4g Carbs. Depending on your weight you might start with a higher conversion such as 1u = 5-6g. so do the math on the food label, take total carbs (carbs -fiber) * servings then divide that by your 5-6 g per U and you will have rough estimate. Monitor your blood sugar for the next 2-3 hours at least every half hour and see how it changes. If it goes low in 2 hours then you took too much, and try it again the next day with with say a 7-8g... If it stays high try reducing the factor to a 4-3g type factor.

Eventually you will find the right number, once you do it make it a lot easier. A few things to note, as you add on weight you get less Bang for your buck with insulin so you will get less carbs per unit, the inverse is true too, more carbs per unit.

You should go check out diabeticjournal.com and sign up for an account it will give you a free 1 month premium account when you sign up for a basic, you can track your numbers and see charts of the numbers compared to your food intake, it helped me make sense of my numbers to visually see them. Not to mention when you actively try to watch and log your sugars you are more conscious of your foods how they affect you etc.

If you are type 2 I can't help in the dosage realm all I can say is to try and cut down your carbs over the course of the day and try and work exercise into your life on a consistent basis. Not being type 2 I don't have any really great advice in that realm.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Bex, if you try what isisagate has suggested, be very careful! Most insulin dependant diabetics need much less insulin than she is suggesting. Some doctors suggest starting with 1u of insulin for every 15 grams of carbs. Then they would make adjustments as needed, much like isisagate has suggested.

isisagate, are you a Type 1 with insulin resistance? I have been insulin resistant since the mid 1990's. My carb ratios are much like yours. 1:4 at breakfast, 1:6 the rest of the day until the late evening when it is 1:8. Insulin:carb ratios can vary throughout the day. A Type 1 diabetic with insulin resistance is called a "double diabetic". Do you use that terminology?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, so as of right now, I am NOT seeing a doctor of any kind. I am beginning to think that all the Dr's here in GA are nuts. None that I have seen so far seem to have any idea what to do with my blood sugars. All they say to me is that I am a "fragile/brittle diabetic." They check my A1C which is a 10+ and then change a dose around or two and send me on my way. I am beginning to think that I should attempt to come up with a plan of action for myself. By this I mean that since no Dr has taught me this "counting carb" thing, I should most likely just learn it myself and give it a try. It can't possibly hurt. My BS fluctuates from 50-600 on a day to day basis, so this will be nothing new to me. All I have been told about it was that its a mathematical equation right? Can someone tell me what it is so I can look into it further?
Hello Bex,
I have been a type 2 diabetic for 4 years now and I had very good fortune right out of the box and it has continued to this day.
Before I would offer any comments or suggestions I too, like some of the other posters, would like to know more about your specific condition.
All I can say at this point is, 50-600 on a day to day basis doesn't sound good, as I'm sure you already know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
An endocrinologist appointment, a session with a diabetes educator and a basal/bolus program should put you in good shape. Find an endocrinologist and get the ball rolling. Good luck!
i am just become diabetic fasting blood sugars 18.3 sorry for spelling dyslexic

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Parky, welcome to our support group. Are you Type 1, or Type 2? Tell us more about yourself and ask all the questions you want. We will be pleased to help but we need to know more about you. Tell us what you want to know.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to DF, Parky. Please do tell us more about yourself. We're glad you've joined our group and we'd like to become better acquainted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts