The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blood glucose testing is the most powerful diagnostic tool available to a diabetic. Unfortunately, most diabetics are not taught how to properly test and use the data to control and manage the disease.

I have done a lot of research in this area, and found that one of the common themes for healthy diabetics is that they get it -- it's all about the data ...

Of course, nutrition, exercise, support, etc. are also important, but if you're not taking full advantage of the data, you can't achieve optimum health.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I am a mathematician and I enjoy working with numbers. There are a lot of numbers involved in pumping insulin. I love my pump. A good A1c (below 6.0) is not good enough though. It is necessary to also have a low standard deviation in order to minimize the risk of complications.

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
BG testing

H, What am I supposed to look for. My Diabetic nurse said to check about once a week which I felt was useless. I check about 4-5 times daily although I am only allowed 50 strips a month so I have to buy the rest. DO not know what I am aiming for. I am not on medication of any sort for the diabetes although on several for other things including high BP and Cholesterol . Please advise.

Yrfee
I have done a lot of research in this area, and found that one of the common themes for healthy diabetics is that they get it -- it's all about the data ...

Of course, nutrition, exercise, support, etc. are also important, but if you're not taking full advantage of the data, you can't achieve optimum health.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re Power of glucose testing

Please let me know what I am supposed to be looking for in my readings As I really do not get much help on the suject here in WALES uk. do NOT TAKE DIABETIC MEDS - yet.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am a mathematician and I enjoy working with numbers. There are a lot of numbers involved in pumping insulin. I love my pump. A good A1c (below 6.0) is not good enough though. It is necessary to also have a low standard deviation in order to minimize the risk of complications.

Richard
How do you calculate the standard deviation? I know it is a complex formulae. Is there somewhere I can just plug in numbers and the computer does it for me? I DON'T enjoy working with numbers. LOL

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Are you officially diagnosed as a diabetuc? If so, which type do you have? I assume you are Type 2 since you mentioned medication instead of insulin. Your fasting blood sugar level is very important. That is your level at the time you get up in the morning, befor eating anything. I try to always be less than 6 at that time of day. The range 4.7-6.7 is ideal for good diabetes control but it is not always possible to stay in that range at all times. I have been diabetic for 63 years and I manage to stay in the range 4-7 about 90% of the time. There is a blood test called the A1c test that gives you your blood sugar average for the preceding three months. My doctor wants my A1c to stay beyween 5.5 and 6.0. That is a nondiabetic level. With good control a diabetic can achieve that level. In the UK you will probably be told that 7.5 is considered a good A1c but a long term diabetic can develop complications at that level. I keep my A1c below 6.0 and I have no complications with my eyes, kidneys and heart. I know many diabetics in the UK and I realize what diabetic care is like there. It is very different from the USA where I live. Good luck to you!

Richard

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
How do you calculate the standard deviation? I know it is a complex formulae. Is there somewhere I can just plug in numbers and the computer does it for me? I DON'T enjoy working with numbers. LOL

There you go Ruby. I'm the same as you....basic math Fine....Algebra......forget it, let's go shopping. :D

Read the steps first. Then you can just add all your numbers from your meter from say, this week and press calculate to get your standard deviation(SD).

Standard Deviation Calculator

·
Registered
4 Posts
HbA1c reading

Had to see the diabetic nurse today for the results of my first A1c test. She said my result was brilliant at 6.4% as it is recommended to be under 7%. I am trying to aim for a range 4.5 to 7 on my BG readings but at present my fasting reading is in the range 6.3 to 8.2 not sure how to reduce the readings. the last thing at night reading is very similar. At present I am checking after eating various foods to see whether there is any difference if I have more carbs etc, I am trying to follow the low GI at present.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
You are doing the right things. That is a good start on your A1c. You might eat fewer carbs each day. I eat 130g per day but I know people who eat 90g or less. Exercise every day.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Wow!! That's a Good A1c, especially for your first one. You must be doing something right. Most People's first A1c is in the 8's, 9', and 10's. Granted, your sugars may be a combination of some highs, some lows and mostly middle numbers but even so. I think it's better than sitting on higher mediums and highs with a regular 8 or 9 or 10 A1c.

I'm Glad that you are getting into this quick. Some People go into denial for many years which wastes a lot of precious learning, testing and trial and error time. Not to mention the damage that happens in their bodies.

It seems like you know that testing often is important. I don't understand these medical People who think testing once a week for Type 2's is adequate. How is a Person supposed to know when to change something in their food and exercise habits, during illness, etc., if they don't know where their blood sugar numbers are? I mean after they get their regime figured out, Fine then they can do less testing once they are aware how their new regime works for them.

To perhaps solve that higher sugar in the evenings maybe you could try eating your main(larger meal) at lunch time instead of at supper time. That should give you more energy during the day when you need it and put your evening number and waking blood sugar a bit lower.

I try to keep my sugars between 4.0 and 7.0. Sometimes though, I get a high or low, mainly through my being distracted by something else. I usually eat 4-6 small portion meals a day. My Hubby calls it snacks. :D Hey, it works for me since I've never been a Big eater, that's all I care. Low carb, low GI, small portion, much exercise.....whatever works for each Person.

Anyways my Dear, thanks for trying to improve your Life. It's Nice to meet you. Congrats on your GrandKids. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
You want your morning readings to be in the low 100's. My diabetic nurse told me that if your readings are consistently above 140 two hours after eating it will lead to complications such as nerve damage, eyesight problems, etc.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Vic, you are correct. The ADA says 140 max is OK for 2 hrs after eating but then they alao say 7.0 is a good A1c. An A1c below 6.0 is a nondiabetic level. I worked hard for several years to get my Aic below 6.0. It has been there for several years. I aim for a max of 120 for two hours after eating and a max of 100 four hours after. It is very tight control but it is keeping me from developing those complicfations you mentioned.

·
Registered
663 Posts
There you go Ruby. I'm the same as you....basic math Fine....Algebra......forget it, let's go shopping. :D
Yes same here too Terrie as I am hopeless in the maths class. :(

Richard, How would you do a Quadratic Equasion? and Algbra GHAD!!! and these equasions are centures old!!! :confused::confused:
I can see that there will be new ways to test blood in the near future as we see that today the computer can do most of the maths for you. So they will become smaller more functionable as only time will tell. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes same here too Terrie as I am hopeless in the maths class.
:(

Hi Peter: :)

Ya, shucks eh? Since I majored in English and Arts, go past basic math and I'm outta there. Since Richard is a retired Math Teacher, I had commented to him that I would've probably flunked his class. But you know maybe not. Some Teachers are Really Good at finding different ways to teach their various Students. Not all fit into the normal range....just like Diabetes. You obviously majored in a different subject Peter. That's Fine.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Math is great!!

You are good boys and girls! I am proud of you. :) You say you are not good with math. You did NOT say math su**ks and you hate it. Thanks! I coached and tutored many students through math classes. I was definitely too lenient wiith some of them and they were grateful. Those days are long gone but never forgotten. It was MATH that gave me my paychecks, the paychecks paid for my diabetes supplies, thr diabetes supplies keep me healthy, the good health enables me to help my fellow diabetics online. See how it all ADDS up? The whole EQUALS the SUM of its parts and my whole life has revolved around MATH. Math is great! ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
:(

Hi Peter: :)

Ya, shucks eh? Since I majored in English and Arts, go past basic math and I'm outta there. Since Richard is a retired Math Teacher, I had commented to him that I would've probably flunked his class. But you know maybe not. Some Teachers are Really Good at finding different ways to teach their various Students. Not all fit into the normal range....just like Diabetes. You obviously majored in a different subject Peter. That's Fine.

Yes, some teachers ARE really good at finding different ways to teach. I am very poor in math. I was a victim of that "New Math" in the early '70's, I believe it was, maybe late '60's. Ruined my mathwise for life. BUT I took a college Algebra class and that sainted instructor was soooo good, I got a B in that class. She made sure I understood and was as patient as the day is long. God bless her, wherever she is now.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You are good boys and girls! I am proud of you. :) You say you are not good with math. You did NOT say math su**ks and you hate it. Thanks!
Goodie!! Can we go out for recess now?? YW! ;)

richard said:
I coached and tutored many students through math classes. I was definitely too lenient wiith some of them and they were grateful. Those days are long gone but never forgotten. It was MATH that gave me my paychecks, the paychecks paid for my diabetes supplies, thr diabetes supplies keep me healthy, the good health enables me to help my fellow diabetics online. See how it all ADDS up? The whole EQUALS the SUM of its parts and my whole life has revolved around MATH. Math is great! ;)
Yes, I'm sure that you were one of the Better Teachers Richard. You are a compassionate Guide. For sure. It's amazing how Math is so important in so many ways, in our lives.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts