The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a member on another site:

"A research team wanted to test a hypothesis that frogs hear through their legs.
They trained a frog to jump at the sound of "jump frog jump".
Testing the baseline, they told the frog to jump, and away he went.
Now they took one of his front legs off, told him to jump, the frog jumped but to one side only.
Intrigued, they took the other front leg off, told the frog to jump, he jumped ok, but landed on his chin.
Still wondering, they decided to take one of his back legs off, jump frog jump, the frog sort of went around in circles.
So they did what all researchers would do, they took his last leg off, jump frog jump, the frog did nothing but lie there.

The conclusion was, a frog with no legs can't hear."

I am wondering if this team of researchers also did some of the diabetes research.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Would explain a lot! LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Richard, et al - What are the guidelines on b/s levels for a T2 diabetic? My fasting glucose is 125 virtually every morning and drops to 95 w/in 1-2 hours after taking my metformin. (850mg) I know I should keep my max number <140, but what should my fasting numbers be?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Richard, et al - What are the guidelines on b/s levels for a T2 diabetic? My fasting glucose is 125 virtually every morning and drops to 95 w/in 1-2 hours after taking my metformin. (850mg) I know I should keep my max number <140, but what should my fasting numbers be?
I was told that fasting numbers should be between 70-110.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was told that fasting numbers should be between 70-110.
Thanks. My GP said my #'s were "acceptable," but I guess I should have pressed him for a definition. I guess I'm going to have to his this harder now, my goal is to lose another 50lbs by EOY 2011 and get off/reduce my metforming alltogether. May not be achievable, but that is what I'm shooting for....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks. My GP said my #'s were "acceptable," but I guess I should have pressed him for a definition. I guess I'm going to have to his this harder now, my goal is to lose another 50lbs by EOY 2011 and get off/reduce my metforming alltogether. May not be achievable, but that is what I'm shooting for....
Have you been to diabetic education classes? Many doctors do NOT give you all of the information that you need to control this disease because there is so much to learn and it takes a lot of time. If not, you should call the doctor and ask to be referred.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you been to diabetic education classes? Many doctors do NOT give you all of the information that you need to control this disease because there is so much to learn and it takes a lot of time. If not, you should call the doctor and ask to be referred.
I attended one DB management class, the lady was a drug rep and db educator. While somewhat informative, I didn't glean much from it. I intend to go to another, sponsored by the hospital, in early 2011.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I attended one DB management class, the lady was a drug rep and db educator. While somewhat informative, I didn't glean much from it. I intend to go to another, sponsored by the hospital, in early 2011.
I have been to 2 of a 3 part class at the local hospital. The classes were 2 hours long each and my last one is in Feb. The information I have received there is invaluable. I hope you get something similar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You inspired me to get off my butt and make the call. I just left a message for my GP for referral to the db mgmt class. I'm tired of being the db 'victim' and am gonna kick the crap out of this disease starting today!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You inspired me to get off my butt and make the call. I just left a message for my GP for referral to the db mgmt class. I'm tired of being the db 'victim' and am gonna kick the crap out of this disease starting today!
GOOD!!! After those classes, I was armed with what information I needed to take control of this.

I figure there are 3 ways to go...let it control me...fight back and forth all my life...or simply get control and keep it.

They will teach you not only what to do, but WHY to do it and HOW to do it.

Good luck to you!!! My 3rd class is Feb 4.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Thanks Richard.

From a member on another site:

"A research team wanted to test a hypothesis that frogs hear through their legs.
They trained a frog to jump at the sound of "jump frog jump".
Testing the baseline, they told the frog to jump, and away he went.
Now they took one of his front legs off, told him to jump, the frog jumped but to one side only.
Intrigued, they took the other front leg off, told the frog to jump, he jumped ok, but landed on his chin.
Still wondering, they decided to take one of his back legs off, jump frog jump, the frog sort of went around in circles.
So they did what all researchers would do, they took his last leg off, jump frog jump, the frog did nothing but lie there.

The conclusion was, a frog with no legs can't hear."

I am wondering if this team of researchers also did some of the diabetes research.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts