Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My blood work came back normal.
I could have told the doctor they'd be normal, because my fasting blood sugar is always normal.

I don't have problems until I eat something carbohydrate rich.
Then my blood sugar shoots sky high.
For example, my fasting blood sugar was 68.
I ate bowl of corn flakes, and when I tested two hours later, it was at 242.

What's wrong with me?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm assuming you doctor only did a fasting glucose test then?

I would request an A1c.

With your post meal numbers, I'd say you are at least pre-diabetic or insulin resistant, but I'm not a doctor. If it's 242 at two hours, it's probably higher than that at one hour.

I would restrict carbs and see what your post-meal numbers are then.

If you haven't read bloodsugar101.com, then I would recommend it. I believe it touches on the fact that fasting numbers are usually the last to go. So, if you've caught it now, then good job, you may save your pancreas and your body some unnecessary damage!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Here you go -

The Patterns in Which Diabetes Develops

"Abnormal Post-Challenge Blood Sugar with Normal Fasting Glucose is The Most Common Pattern for Those Developing Type 2 Diabetes

If you wonder which is more common a manifestation of early blood sugar abnormality, high post-meal numbers or high fasting glucose, The Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging data answers that clearly.

In the group that went on to develop diabetes, 225 people initially developed abnormal 2 hour glucose tolerance test results (Impaired Glucose Tolerance) while maintaining normal Fasting Plasma Glucose.

Of those who eventually developed diabetes, only 30 participants developed abnormal Fasting Plasma Glucose without showing abnormal results on the glucose tolerance test.

When these groups of participants were followed over time, it was found that 37% of those with abnormal fasting glucose went on to develop abnormal glucose tolerance test results while only 15% of those originally diagnosed with Impaired Glucose Tolerance went on to develop Impaired Fasting Glucose.

This should make it very clear how little help an abnormal fasting plasma glucose test result can be when doctors try to identify the people at risk for becoming diabetic in this population, since 67% of the people who progressed to diabetes as measured by the glucose tolerance test did so without ever developing impaired fasting glucose."

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Many doctors miss the early stages of diabetes because all they care about is a fasting bg. Usually the fasting is the last thing to rise. An HbA1c will tell you more but an OGTT ( oral glucose tolerance test) is probably best. They have you drink a sugary glucose drink and then monitor bgs over 2 hours. That should pick up your spikes. Also do you seem to get a lot of hypos? Many times in the early stages of Insulin Resistance bg spike quite high and then your pancreas overproduces insulin and you crash.

Reactions: Daytona

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wdmama: Thank you so much for that article! It explains much, and I'll definitely be seeking more tests.

jwags: Yes! I get hypos occasionally. Thanks for responding.

Off to request more tests...!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Sorry to hear you have it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Rebecca.. I also have normal fasting glucose but I am unsure of my post meal numbers, but I do get frequent urination(hyperglycemia?) after eating. Anyway, did you do more tests and what did they reveal?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Winnie? You're still new & getting the hang of things, so I'm just letting you know that MistyRebecca hasn't logged in here in nearly a year. So check the dates before you post - sometimes it's relevant to revive an old thread, but in this case when you want information from the original poster, it isn't likely you'll get a response. You can always click on a person's profile and it tells when they were last active.

You'll get used to it . . . never fear! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.