The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Spark of Reason - On Taubes and Toilets

Well worth a read in my opinion. Dave starts with this...
One of our toilets has been acting balky lately. Last night I went to flush it and nothing happened. I started pondering on the possible causes of this, and had a brief vision of a bunch of Ph.D's standing around, stroking their chins and sagely examining the toilet through glasses perched on the ends of their noses. After a few knowing glances at each other, they pronounced: "From the First Law of Thermodynamics, we know the problem with your toilet is that, at some point in the past, less water came in than left!"

Reactions: cathyy and foxl

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
If you read WWGF and still think Taubes is claiming that thermodynamics doesn't apply to biological organisms, then you either didn't really read the book, weren't paying any attention, or have the logical facilities of a monkey on crack.
Now this is the kind of writing that I can get behind! Duly added to the RSS reader.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you read WWGF and still think Taubes is claiming that thermodynamics doesn't apply to biological organisms, then you either didn't really read the book, weren't paying any attention, or have the logical facilities of a monkey on crack.
Now this is the kind of writing that I can get behind! Duly added to the RSS reader.
I haven't even read the whole thing yet, and THAT blurb jumped out at me! heheh!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I recently read WWGF by Gary Taubes, and also Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. I highly recommend both. My husband was recently put on metformin after an elevated fasting blood sugar (over 100) too many doctor visits in a row. He has lost 32 pounds not from the metformin - it wasn't doing much for that - but by not eating wheat/carbs.

He keeps his carbs under about 40 a day, on the average, and those carbs are almost entirely from low-glycemic index vegetables. I have been losing weight very slowly but steadily - a pound a month - for about two years now by eating a low-carb diet. One of our big treats is a trip to Taco Bell. Once my husband ate 4 or 5 tacos and I had a burrito supreme. Now both of us are full and content with 2 regular hard-shell tacos each, at 18 total carbs each. Eating wheat makes you hungrier, and makes you crave more carbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts