The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the top 23 favorite low-carb snacks as they appear on another diabetes site.

Peanut butter
Cheddar cheese
String cheese
Cottage cheese
Broccoli with melted cheese
Salad with free veggies and low-carb dressing
Tomato and mozzarella salad
Celery with peanut butter
Fresh berries with low-fat plain yogurt
Veggies with hummus
Cucumbers with olive-oil and rice vinegar
Carrot sticks
Snap peas with Caesar dressing
Radishes with tzatziki
Green beans cooked and cooled with lemon juice
Nuts
Sauteed Spinach
Pickles
Rotisserie chicken
Deli meat
Pepperoni and cheese
Beef jerky
Hard boiled eggs

·
Registered
28 Posts
They are all delicious. I know because I've had most of them. The only foods on that list that I stay away from are deli meat, pepperoni and beef jerky. They contain too many chemicals, including nitrates and nitrites, also hidden sugars and fats.

Reactions: Msfranxie

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here are the top 23 favorite low-carb snacks as they appear on another diabetes site.

Peanut butter
Cheddar cheese
String cheese
Cottage cheese
Broccoli with melted cheese
Salad with free veggies and low-carb dressing
Tomato and mozzarella salad
Celery with peanut butter
Fresh berries with low-fat plain yogurt
Veggies with hummus
Cucumbers with olive-oil and rice vinegar
Carrot sticks
Snap peas with Caesar dressing
Radishes with tzatziki
Green beans cooked and cooled with lemon juice
Nuts
Sauteed Spinach
Pickles
Rotisserie chicken
Deli meat
Pepperoni and cheese
Beef jerky
Hard boiled eggs
The only two I question are cottage cheese and the tomatoes. I treated myself to a bloody mary this past weekend and my sugar rose quite a bit. Besides that Richard, you are always full of great info. Thanks:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are all delicious. I know because I've had most of them. The only foods on that list that I stay away from are deli meat, pepperoni and beef jerky. They contain too many chemicals, including nitrates and nitrites, also hidden sugars and fats.
ive got to agree with Rosebud there , and with the tomatoe,s as much as i luv them they send my BS up .

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is great information. Thank you for posting it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great list, Richard, thank you. The way I use lists like these is as a starting point. Like others who have omitted some items for themselves or have added some items in, customizing the list in the context of your own diet/meal plan is what makes these lists really worthwhile.

Jaye Marno

** Set your goals and how to acheive them, measure your progress along the way. **

G

·
How Big or Small of a Portion can be eaten?

But at what amount, ie: "how much" of a portion can be eaten?.. and Thanks for the list.

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much you eat is to be determined by you. Trial and error and frequent testing would help you decide. What foods work best and the amounts that work best differs from one person to another.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Raw Pumpkin Seeds (aka pepitas) are on most lists of "super foods." They help reduce cholesterol, are high in minerals, and have the good fats (Omega 3 and 6) that promotes heart health. I usually sprinkle some on a salda or on my morning bran buds

For a snack I toss them with some lime juice and chili powder or garlic powder (and some sea salt if you want). Throw them in the oven til crispy. Cooking the seeds does damage the good oil, making them not as healthy, but still much better than potato chips.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Punkin Seeds

It is good to see you are still with us Finnegan. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
re: he Top 23 Low Carb Snacks

All those mentioned are really good ones as low carb snacks. But i am not quite sure about Pickles as they contain high amount of preservatives which are not good for health. But small amounts will do no wrong!!
Thanks for posting it!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok... I know this is an old post but, I wanted to share anyway... I stated by buying a Sheet of mozzarella cheese and then cuttting a tomatoe and rolling it up kind of like a Pumpkin roll but second time was better.

I watched a couple of youtube videos and made my own mozzarella cheese and flattened it into a sheet no parchment paper... the I diced up the tomatoes and soaked them in Balsamic Vinegar with a little Truvia mixed in... I then removed the stems from the baby spinach ad spread out the tomatoes and baby spinach on the mozzarella cheese and coated it with some more vinegar. I tightly rolled it op and cut it into about 1/4 inch disc... Served it and every one loved the presentation... not the easiest way to eat it but the red whit and green did Look Pretty spread out.

Other person brought Deviled Eggs with real Crispy bacon gut into small pieces and placed on top of Egg... Tasted GREAT!!!1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.