The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 20 years old, and only weigh about 120 pounds (if even that). That right there eliminates several of the risk factors. In fact, the only risk factor I have are the two grandparents with diabetes (one with type 1, the other with type 2...different sides of the family).

I grew up always hearing about diabetes, and because of this I usually have a scare about once a year, maybe more, where I think I have it. However, this time it is different and I'm genuinely freaking out over it.

Some of the stuff I say is probably irrelevant, but I will post it just in case.

I often complain of blurry vision, but that could easily be a problem with my contacts or even just my head as I always seem to be searching for symptoms. I do have to blink a lot to focus on things, especially when turning my head from something far to say a computer screen (prob. normal though). Almost a week ago, I got extremely depressed about something, and it lasted the whole night. At one point, I started feeling really weird and then I got very hungry even though I had just eaten a large pasta meal a few hours earlier. Ever since this night, I've been more hungry than usual, and this past week I've had excessive thirst no matter how much I drink (although admittedly, I haven't drank A LOT of a water). I also have a slightly odd taste in my mouth although I don't know what it is. As for the hunger, it may just be the amount I eat (although I could be in denial and that's why I'm trying to make an excuse for it)...Hell, I'm even worried right now about my hunger even though all I've had today is a salad and some fruit (it's 4:25 PM where I am...I'm studying abroad).

I don't urinate any more than I usually do (three or four times a day), nor have I woken up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I haven't been more fatigued than usual (well, maybe a little, but plausibly because of jet lag).

I plan on going to an English speaking doctor here to see if he can run a glucose test, but I might end up being too scared to go.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Mich, welcome to our community! I think I know you from another diabetes site. Perhaps? I cannot tell if you are diabetic but I doubt it at this stage. I think it is a good idea for you to see that doctor so it csn relieve your worrying. If you are running too much blood sugar then you may be a prediabetic. I suggest that you get yourself a glucose meter and some test strips and test your blood sugar when you get up in the morning and again two hours after each meal for a couple of days. If you do that then tell us what your numbers were and we will have enough information to make some suggestions.

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Mich, welcome to our community! I think I know you from another diabetes site. Perhaps? I cannot tell if you are diabetic but I doubt it at this stage. I think it is a good idea for you to see that doctor so it csn relieve your worrying. If you are running too much blood sugar then you may be a prediabetic. I suggest that you get yourself a glucose meter and some test strips and test your blood sugar when you get up in the morning and again two hours after each meal for a couple of days. If you do that then tell us what your numbers were and we will have enough information to make some suggestions.

Richard
This is the first time I've ever posted on a diabetes site, so you must be thinking of someone else!

Thanks for the reply. I just realized I may simply be dehydrated because I'm at a higher altitude and I may also be a bit jet lagged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to the doctor tomorrow because the thirst has not at all subsided and it has me even more worried; I can't get my mind off this whole thing whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I am glad you are going Mich. Good luck!

·
Registered
663 Posts
G'day Mich :), Welcome to our happy diabetes site.
Those BG's seem to be OK but you still have some symptoms that is troubling you and it's diabetes related. You appear to be thin and that how I was when I was diagnosed. Get your doctor to run tests that will give a better understanding to your problem. If you don't get this from your doctor then see another. Better still see an Endocrinologist. ;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
95 is a wonderful fasting number Mich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts