The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I am pro salt! There I said it. :D I don't believe that it raises your blood pressure (crazy rare illnesses aside) and it's baloney to tell everyone to eat less salt.

I just don't get why there are so many black and white recommendations telling people to not eat things that are essential for the body to function!

Guess what cell walls are made of? Fat. Guess what all of your nerves are coated in? FAT! Guess what is required for your nerves to be able to fire and communicate? SODIUM! Argh, yes let's tell everyone to cut out as much fat and salt from their diet as possible. What could go wrong?! *face palm*

On a personal and non-rant note, I feel better when I get more sodium in my daily diet. It has helped me be headache free for the first time in a decade. I informed my doctor and she said she wasn't surprised. Evidently while she can't tell me to eat more salt, if I figure it out on my own, she approves! Oh well, I guess I shouldn't complain since I've finally found the key to preventing my chronic headaches.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
'They' have been saying lately if you don't have high blood pressure, it's OK to eat more salt. I am 67 and have been shoveling it in from almost day one, and my blood pressure is always low-normal. I know you have to cut down on salt once you have high blood pressure, but I think it must be something other than salt that causes it. Probably carbs. :doh:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Only problem I've had with salt was water retention. But I seem to have outgrown that now.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was told to give up salt 31yrs ago when pregnant with my daughter (with pre-eclampsia) ...being young and dumb lol I did it...since then I can't use it at all...everything tastes salty to me...I don't use it on anything except on roast lamb with MASSES of olive oil lol...yum...I'm sure cutting carbs has heightened my sense of smell/taste as most things taste stronger...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Salt is here for just one thing and that's just to enhance taste, That's all!!!
So what do you think what fast food places do to improve their food? SALT!!!
I would do nothing as there's natural salts in many foods so why should we need more. Butter is another example as they add salt just to improve it's taste. Try and make your own butter without salt and I can guarantee that you will not like it!!! ;)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Try and make your own butter without salt and I can guarantee that you will not like it!!!

actually I make butter & its wonderful . I don't add salt. I only make it from time to time , when I have cream that needs to be used.

I don't salt food for the most part. But I sure can tell when I have eaten something with hidden salt in it. I am swelled up like crazy the next day.

·
Registered
741 Posts
lol I use unsalted butter and I love it

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sodium is one of the major electrolytes in our human bodies, it is not just a luxury for enhancing the flavor of our foods or for preserving meat & fish. If you've ever gotten dehydrated on a scorching hot summer day, you may have experienced extreme weakness, dizziness, confusion, etc. That is due to your electrolytes getting out of balance from the dehydration & it's the very reason salt tablets are issued to troops in the tropics.

Granted, salt is misused in today's food industry, but don't ever underestimate the role of sodium in the good health of your body.

·
Registered
741 Posts
*nods* I agree...it took me 25 yrs to learn that insulin can strip your body of magnesium (a salt)..and magnesium needs calcium to work...and I think also potassium...I take a pill to know I have what I need every day...it's stopped my cramps...I wish someone had told me that when I first started on insulin it would have stopped 25yrs of crippling cramps...like I think they should coat metaformin tablets in B12...

·
Registered
718 Posts
When I was pregnant with my first, I put some salt on my corn on the cob and my parents jumped all over my case. I've NEVER had high blood pressure, even while pregnant. I've never had swelling, even while pregnant in the middle of summer. I do salt food when I'm cooking, but when I make almost everything from scratch, it's not overdoing it. I make my own broth for soups, and yes it needs salt, and yes I like the taste. We've go through a container of salt maybe every 2 years? We've bought about 5 since we've been married, and one of those was almost all dumped out by a toddler.

I have definitely gotten more sensitive to sweet and salty lately... and I'm actually starting to not like cooked food so much... guess I just feel better with raw fresh foods.

With this last pregnancy, I actually got a MAJOR craving for salt. Like my mouth was watering at the thought of it... so I ate more salt. I figure my body knows what it needs. It was also during the winter where I was doing major cooking from scratch and we were eating lots of soups/stews made from bone broth, tons of veggies, etc. It eventually passed, but for a good month, I salted everything at the table. (Didn't swell or raise my BP either).

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't 'not' add salt for any medical reason...for me it was just that I was taken off it and now I find it too strong...everyone finds my cooking lacking in salt or sugar lol...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. "They" want you to avoid salt found in packaged, processed foods and in restaurants. Salt found naturally in natural foods is fine. You have to be weary of "natural" salt when you are told to cut back even further. Same goes roughly for sugar, in my opinion.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Reactions: jojeti

·
Registered
633 Posts
There are valid reasons for eating extra salt but the valid reasons are rare. I do eat extra salt when exercising, not in the form of sports drinks cause I don't need the other stuff just the salt.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I crave salt and my sodium and potassium are always low on blood tests.

·
Registered
460 Posts
How much is extra? How much is excessive? I'm not convinced by the evidence for reducing salt so I see no reason why I should not eat enough.

Trust (or relearn to trust) your own body to tell you what it needs... we were all born with this innate ability.

Reactions: d33na and jojeti

·
Registered
741 Posts
totally agree...we all need differing amounts of (insert latest scare)...and if we believed all we read then they'd be nothing left! I figure the less processed the foods I consume are the more I can add to them to get what my body needs...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts