The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I learned that some body organs can only be harvested when a person is 'brain dead' but not all the way dead, it disturbed me enough to have the 'organ donor' removed from my driver's license because I knew that when someone is declared brain dead, their heart is still beating.
Organ Donation and Harvesting | The Life Resources Charitable Trust
and some believe they can still feel pain, as in when the organs are harvested.

A couple of years ago on the news was a boy of about 8 to 10, and his mother. The boy had been declared brain dead, and yet he recovered with no ill effects. Here are just 2 examples of the same thing happening, and I have no doubt there are many more.

Woman Diagnosed as “Brain Dead” Walks and Talks after Awakening | LifeSiteNews.com

NeuroLogica Blog » Brain Dead

The thing that brings all this up again today is an article in the Daily Mail online UK newspaper.
New organ donation rules: Surgeons won't have to wait to make sure a heart has stopped | Mail Online

The article says there is currently a ban on considering anyone to be a potential donor before doctors and family members have independently decided to stop trying to resuscitate them. And when doctors are retrieving organs they have to wait at least two minutes to ensure that the heart doesn't spontaneously start again. This will be eliminated if the plans by the group that co-ordinates organ allocation in the United States are adopted.

It would mean that after the donor's heart has stopped, surgeons will not have to wait to make sure it doesn't start beating again before removing organs, and confirmatory tests will no longer have to be performed to assure the family and the hospital professional staff that the patient is dead.

The proposed changes by the United Network for Organ Sharing, the Richmond nonprofit organization that coordinates organ donation under a contract with the federal government, are part of the first major overhaul of the 2007 guidelines governing donation after cardiac death.

Critics say the move heightens the risk that potential donors will be treated more like tissue banks than like sick people deserving every chance to live, or to die peacefully.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
When my husband, a retired doctor, found that one of his friends was 'brain dead', but they were keeping her technically alive for several days even tho' she had totally made her wishes known to everyone that she wished to be an organ donor until her children arrived from across the US. I'm still listed, but I'd hate to put my children thru that.

I may change my mind, but I do believe in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts