The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple of months ago, I was having a heck of a time controlling my diabetes. I finally got into to see an Endo, and he switched me over to Novolog before each meal. I had been on Lantus for more than a year, but, it was not working at the time of my visit to the Endo.

The Endo adjusted my Lantus dosage, and along with the Novolog, my numbers began to fall back into the mid 100 to low 200 range.

However, I started to have some problems with low BS following my lunch meal. Some of the lows were extreme, and in correcting the low, I'd over-correct, and have a few days of mid 200 numbers.

This is where the members of this forum, and several other forums came into play.

I sent out a personal SOS, and received MANY fine suggestions as to what I could try.

I tried numerous suggestions, and settled on paying closer to knowing - no longer guessing - how many carbs I was eating at each meal, and per my Endo, I was allowed to use a sliding scale to come up with an appropriate amount of Novolog to counter-act my carb intake.

As for the low BS's, I tried several ideas proposed from members, and found that using the Glucose tablets - in place of the glucose gels and drinks - worked the very best. I also found that I needed to take my BG when I felt the slightest symptom of a low onset coming on.

This allowed me to catch the BG at 55 to 65 points, and from there I knew how many tablets I needed to get me back up to about 90. And I now know that it is VITAL that I take my meter EVERY WHERE I GO!

All of the suggestions have truly helped me to get things back under tight control, and my average numbers over the past 30 days are 145. Better yet, over the past 14 days, my BG level is at 110.

For those who are new to this forum, you can be assured that if you have a question, problem, or concern, you will find an answer. So I'd like to encourage all of you to hang in there, keep taking your meds, your injections, stay on a tight diet, and exercise no less than 30 minutes most days of the week (and be sure to increase that 30 minutes as time allows).

I have found this forum to be JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. I hope that you can say the same as you explore all the topic/subject areas on the forum and participate. And don't forget to share what works for you when you read someone else's post with a problem you overcame!!!

Shalom, to all my fellow diabetic. Here's to a long and healthy life, with as few complications as possible.

Pastor Paul

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Well said!

this place is the best place ive run across with fellow diabetics

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have to agree, this place is awesome! Everyone really helped me out when I needed it and they continue to do so everyday. I sure am glad I stumbled across it! Big hugs for everyone :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Pastor Paul, I am pleased to hear that you are doing so well, and that our website has helped. I know you have joined discussions here and helped others. I hope you will stick with us indefinitely.

Richard

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
This forum has helped me out tremendously. I am so glad that I found it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Plan to Remain...

Pastor Paul, I am pleased to hear that you are doing so well, and that our website has helped. I know you have joined discussions here and helped others. I hope you will stick with us indefinitely.

Richard
I can't predict what tomorrow holds, but, it is my plan to continue to stay with you folks. :cell:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts