The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not really been taking good care of myself, but that is changing as of today. Im starting to feel numbness in my feet and this morning I checked my level for the first time in about a year. I was at 458 (after eating cereal, though...but still...). 458 is terrible. I never checked my levels because I figured if I took my meds, then I was OK. Got myself a nice little wake up call this morning.

What can I do now to get this crap under control?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If you really want to get this 'crap' under control - read a book like "Think like a pancreas" by Gary Scheiner or any of the other diabetes books.

To start with - keep testing your blood sugar, both before and after each meal. You will then be able to see what the food you're eating is doing to your blood sugar. If you really want to keep your toes, eyesight, kidney function etc. ......... it is imperative you know what your blood sugar numbers are doing. Not testing is like sticking your head in the sand and leaving your posterior up in the air for someone to kick.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What meds do you take? Even if you were on insulin, it is not a panacea that allows you to eat anything you want.

The quickest way to get the results you want—that being blood sugars under 140, I have to assume—is to eliminate most of the carbs from your diet. No more cereal or grains of any kind (not even whole grains, not even oatmeal), no bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, sweets, milk or soft drinks. None. Make your meals with meat (even bacon), poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, olives, avocados, etc. Using full fat products like butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, heavy cream, etc., will complete the low-carb way-of-eating & your BG will drop like a rock. If you think this implies staying away from any processed foods and low-fat/fat-free products, you're right! =)

And if I were you, I'd get my caboose back to the doc & get him in the loop again. Better yet, find a good endocrinologist who believes in low-carbing & see if, with diligent effort, you can't get this "crap" reined in.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "crap" I ws referring to was the sugar pulsating in my veins. Didn't mean to insult anyone and if I did, Im sorry. Im on Metformin 500 x2. That is all Im taking except for Lisinopril to protect my kidneys.

I just so hate dealing with this disease, but if I DONT deal with it, then Im gonna be dead before my time. I saw what it did to my Uncle. This whole thing is really really unfair, but it's the hand I was dealt. :mad::(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The "crap" I ws referring to was the sugar pulsating in my veins. Didn't mean to insult anyone and if I did, Im sorry. Im on Metformin 500 x2. That is all Im taking except for Lisinopril to protect my kidneys.

I just so hate dealing with this disease, but if I DONT deal with it, then Im gonna be dead before my time. I saw what it did to my Uncle. This whole thing is really really unfair, but it's the hand I was dealt. :mad::(
It's the hand we were all dealt, but many of us now consider that wake-up call a blessing in disguise, since we began taking proper care of ourselves & realized we now feel better than we have in YEARS. If you can get your mind made up to work with it & not spend all your energy struggling against the unfairness of it all, I think you could come out the other side a better person. I sure have. A very smart man I know puts it this way: "You have a dangerous disease. The complications can be very devastating. Simply taking your meds or your insulin to keep your sugars down is not good enough. A healthy diet and regular exercise are vital. Aim for a healthy body and mind; don't simply rely on pills and needles."

You're using a pretty low dose for metformin - your doc might want to consider doubling that if you aren't having any gastric side effects.

And what I explained in my other post is exactly the answer to getting rid of the excess sugar pulsating in your veins.
The quickest way to get the results you want is to eliminate most of the carbs from your diet. No more cereal or grains of any kind (not even whole grains, not even oatmeal), no bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, sweets, milk or soft drinks. None. Make your meals with meat (even bacon), poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, olives, avocados, etc. Using full fat products like butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, heavy cream, etc., will complete the low-carb way-of-eating & your BG will drop like a rock.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Your intention to kick Ds ____ is a great thing. My suggestion would be to memorize the following:

1. Blood sugar comes from ingested carbs (all of them) and protein in excess of actual need (approx 16% of total calories). Period.
  2. The human dietary requirement for carbs is ZERO
  3. As a T2, carbs are a poison to your system with literally the ability to kill you (slowly).

There is really no mystery. Yes, you should test frequently to make sure you are on track, but this business about different foods having vastly different effects is really overplayed. Blood sugar is pretty much proportional to grams of carbs (or excessive protein) period. Sure, some will hit your blood very quickly, others more slowly and others will hide in your liver for some unknown period of time and then pop back up - but they ALL result in glucose.

For all these reasons, testing is not a very accurate measure of what food is doing unless of course you're testing every 15 minutes from before eating until 4 - 6 hours after eating! Just reading labels or getting nutrition information about foods you eat is much more reliable and accurate.

Think: "It's poison" and then act accordingly.

Hoping you will win this time...

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
He's right...just think (correctly) of it being poison and move on from there...there are sweets if that's your problem, and if so there are lots of recipes here and other sites that you can find.

Good luck,

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You are taking a very small amount of metformin. I had to raise my dose to 2550 to get some type of bg control. Even doing that I need to stick to very low carb diet . Even though I am in control I still continue to test everyday, especially 2 hours after meals. First thing if you haven't been to your doctors in awhile I would schedule an appointment and review your medications and possibly talk about insulin for awhile to get bgs down and to prevent damage. I would also get a hold of some good diabetes books like

Dr Richard Bernstein- Diabetes Solutions Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site
Gretchen Becker - Type 2 , The first Year Gretchen Becker - Home
Jenny Ruhl - Blood Sugar 101 www.bloodsugar101.com

Many of us have normalised our bgs, but it takes work every day. I'm sure you can do it , too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I am a bit late in the reply's :)
The advice given (I think) is pretty good. If you are serious to lower your BG then do some reading here How to Lower Your Blood Sugar
For me just eliminating sugar is not much help, most of my trouble comes from the varied carbs found in many foods of today. Check out the recipe section there are some great and tasty finds there. Just remember your meter can be a good friend. We are all different and what I can't eat you might - test - test - test. I have been oriented to always do the FBG (mornings) but after being here have come to understand the need to test before and 1&2 hour after meals!
Good Luck :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
this morning I checked my level for the first time in about a year
This is how I fall off the wagon. I must test on a regular basis. When I actually see the numbers, it helps me greatly. Isn't there a saying that goes : 'Out of sight, out of mind' or something like that? Very true in my case!

Take good care!

Reactions: SufeeGuy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts