The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Fran and I am a 55 yr old woman with type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed in January 2007. I have been off all meds since November 2009. My blood sugar was low more often than high, so when I lost weight my doc said I could control it with my diet. So, I did.

My problem today is, for the second time in a month my bs has crashed for no apparent reason. I know that I have had a "bunch" of carbs today. My food today hasn't been "great". I am very tired from working a lot of overtime (13 hrs a day Mon-Fri, 6 hrs (or more) Sat & Sun) and I don't have much of an appetite. Anyway, I ran out of test strips, but I know what it feels like to have low blood sugar ... been there, done that ... too many times. I just don't understand why I am having problems.

I decided to join this forum to get info from those "in the know". I hope I'm in the right place.

~Fran

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Fran - welcome to the forum.

The first info you need is what is going on with your diabetes. You have a feeling, and you're probably right, but without testing and hard numbers you're trying to shoot a black bear in the dark from 200 yards away.

When you say you had a 'bunch' of carbs - do you know how many? But the number of carbs of course needs to be in context of what your numbers are.

Edited to add: there is no cure, unfortunately. But there surely is control.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Despite the what the talking heads on TV say there is no "cure" there is control.

without knowing number its tuff to tell what is happening, could be a reactive low eat a lot of carbs and your pancreas is slow to react so you get high BG then the pancreas puts out insulin and doesn't stop so your BG goes low.

OR

since you have not been testing your have high BG normally so when your BG is normal you feel low.

bottom line you gota test to know

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Fran - welcome to the forum.

The first info you need is what is going on with your diabetes. You have a feeling, and you're probably right, but without testing and hard numbers you're trying to shoot a black bear in the dark from 200 yards away.

When you say you had a 'bunch' of carbs - do you know how many? But the number of carbs of course needs to be in context of what your numbers are.

Edited to add: there is no cure, unfortunately. But there surely is control.
Yes, of course you are right ... there is no cure. :( But a girl can dream. :p

I walk 3+ miles every morning before work, then I have a protein shake (w/soy milk) which has 20 gms carbs for breakfast. When I took a look at what I ate today it came to close to 200 gms of carbs. I am so tired I do not have an appetite so I am eating "quick & easy" foods (or should I say "junk") that I do not ordinarily eat ... this overtime is exhausting ... but the end is in sight: July 31!

My niece is picking up my test strips from the pharmacy this evening ... the pharmacy will be closed by the time I leave work. So, I will check my numbers tonight and again in the morning.

If the shaky feeling, coupled with the stuttering and loss of focus, perspiring and general malaise is not low blood sugar ... I need to see a doctor -- soon. But you are right, I need to check my numbers and find out.

Thanks much.
~Fran

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Fran - welcome aboard. Looks like you've had a nice honeymoon, but now it's coming to an end. That's a bummer, but we can help. And as the others have mentioned, in order to help, we about need to know what your numbers are & what it is you usually eat.

I hope this work schedule will ease off pretty soon - that much overtime is insane! (oops - didn't see your post until I clicked the magic button! :eek: )

Take care & visit as often as you can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so far ... so good

Took my bgs about 20 mins ago ... 88 ... YAY!

Fingers crossed that it will be just as good in the morning.

Goodnight all, thanks for the advice!

~Fran

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't forget to add some protein some Peanut butter added to your morning shake ( I just switched to Soy too cause of hot flashes it really decreases them) protein will stabilize your BG otherwise your just gonna burn the carbs off with all that walking which is wonderful 3 miles wow wish I had the energy for 3 blocks

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As all diabetics know there is no cure. We also know diabetes is progressive. Many times we get what is called "false Lows". That means we may spike very high from too many carbs and then crash very quickly. Although it feels like a low it is still above 70. I know everyone is different and we all have a different tolerance for carbs. I know for me it is between 10-25 carbs depending on the time of day. In the morning I can't handle any carbs, for lunch I can handle 25 and about 10 for dinner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you hit the nail on the head ...

As all diabetics know there is no cure. We also know diabetes is progressive. Many times we get what is called "false Lows". That means we may spike very high from too many carbs and then crash very quickly. Although it feels like a low it is still above 70. I know everyone is different and we all have a different tolerance for carbs. I know for me it is between 10-25 carbs depending on the time of day. In the morning I can't handle any carbs, for lunch I can handle 25 and about 10 for dinner.
I think I may have spiked from eating too many carbs and then crashed very quickly. That makes sense.

By the time I got home from work last night ... around 10:45 p.m., my bgs was 88. I check again when I woke up this morning and it was 104. Went for my 3 mile walk and it was 114 ... huh? :confused: I am at work now, I drank my protein shake about an hour ago. Just check my bgs and it's 85. Okay ... well I will try to have more balanced meals today ... certainly less carbs.

Thanks to all.
~F

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Do you have any history of hypoglycemia?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have any history of hypoglycemia?
The answer to that question is ... yes ... and no. When I was on metformin 1000 ml 2x a day by bgs was low quite often until my doc and I decided I need less. Once the dosage was lowered it happened a lot less frequently. So, yes I have a history when I take too much medication, and no not if I am not overmedicated.

I have been taking a new herbal supplement "Ginko Biloba Energy Now", that may be the culprit. I don't know why but I remembered that the last 2 times I had this reaction, here lately ... has been after taking these supplements. I am going to stop taking them and see if things get better.

~F

1 - 12 of 12 Posts