The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I had gestational diabetes with both of my kids. That was 10+ years ago. Every year we have a health fair at work and every year they tell me my reading is high like 150-170. I have noticed an increased thirst the last few months, so I bought a glucose monitor. I took some fasting readings, they have been from 106 to 123, which I know is in the prediabetes range. Also took readings a couple of hours after eating, they have been 145 to 203.

I went to my dr and asked for a test, (i didn't tell her I was testing at home), she ordered a fasting blood glucose test.
I tested myself before I went, it was 111. The FBG came back as 83. How can they be so different?

Is there such a thing as just being slow to process sugar? It seems to me I run a tad high after eating, but not truly diabetic.

Thanks for any input..

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello everyone,
I had gestational diabetes with both of my kids. That was 10+ years ago. Every year we have a health fair at work and every year they tell me my reading is high like 150-170. I have noticed an increased thirst the last few months, so I bought a glucose monitor. I took some fasting readings, they have been from 106 to 123, which I know is in the prediabetes range. Also took readings a couple of hours after eating, they have been 145 to 203.
I went to my dr and asked for a test, (i didn't tell her I was testing at home), she ordered a fasting blood glucose test.
I tested myself before I went, it was 111. The FBG came back as 83. How can they be so different?
Is there such a thing as just being slow to process sugar? It seems to me I run a tad high after eating, but not truly diabetic.
Thanks for any input..

Hello Lynne. Welcome to our Community.

With Gestational Diabetes, the woman will become a Diabetic
usually within 10 yrs. after having her child.

How long was the time frame of your testing with your meter
and the Lab test? Your body still makes Insulin so it would
bring your sugar down given time. It doesn't take much. Also
your blood moves constantly which changes the outcome when
the Insulin is working in your system. Does your meter test plasma
or whole blood? It would say on the booklet.

The FBG is normally done twice and they compare the results to
make sure. I hope this helps. :)

I take my meter to my Drs. office and compare the results of both meters twice a yr. to make sure mine is in the right range.

Q: How do I know if I have pre-diabetes?

A: Doctors can use either the fasting plasma glucose test (FPG) or the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) to detect pre-diabetes. Both require a person to fast overnight. In the FPG test, a person's blood glucose is measured first thing in the morning before eating. In the OGTT, a person's blood glucose is checked after fasting and again 2 hours after drinking a glucose-rich drink.

Q: How does the FPG test define diabetes and pre-diabetes?

A: Normal fasting blood glucose is below 100 mg/dl. A person with pre-diabetes has a fasting blood glucose level between 100 and 125 mg/dl. If the blood glucose level rises to 126 mg/dl or above, a person has diabetes.

Q: How does the OGTT define diabetes and pre-diabetes?

A: In the OGTT, a person's blood glucose is measured after a fast and 2 hours after drinking a glucose-rich beverage. Normal blood glucose is below 140 mg/dl 2 hours after the drink. In pre-diabetes, the 2-hour blood glucose is 140 to 199 mg/dl. If the 2-hour blood glucose rises to 200 mg/dl or above, a person has diabetes.

Q: Which test is better?

A: According to the expert panel, either test is appropriate to identify pre-diabetes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts