The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my endo today because my numbers are higher than I'd like due to oral steroids I have to take long term. I'm not currently on meds and wanted the doc to give me something to help lower my BG. The nurse called back to say that my doc thinks my numbers are fine and he'll see me in June for my next appt. WTH? I'm going to call back tomorrow armed with more numbers to give the nurse and see if that will change his mind about meds.

What do you think? Keep in mind my diet is very low carb, but I don't have a chance for good numbers on my current dose of steroids. My goal is to never be above 140 and currently, I'm above that for roughly 6 hours a day. Here's my numbers.........

Fbg average = 115
b4 lunch = 150
2pp = 170ish - 200
B4 dinner = 130ish
Bedtime = 120ish

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My dad is on a daily dose of steroids for an auto immune condition and developed prednisone induced diabetes. So you're right they do raise bgs. I'm surprised they don't give you meds to reduce bg. The problem with doctors is the only number they seem to care about is the Fasting bg. You say you are doing low carb could you tell us what you are eating. Sometimes adding fat to your meals may help delay the spike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jwags said:
My dad is on a daily dose of steroids for an auto immune condition and developed prednisone induced diabetes. So you're right they do raise bgs. I'm surprised they don't give you meds to reduce bg. The problem with doctors is the only number they seem to care about is the Fasting bg. You say you are doing low carb could you tell us what you are eating. Sometimes adding fat to your meals may help delay the spike.
That's exactly how I developed diabetes, too. Some meals.....Eggs and bacon....Greek yogurt with raspberries/blueberries. Thanks to this group, I just bought and ate my first avocado yesterday! Other meals are lunch meat, cheese, sf jello, salads with meat/cheeses/olives/nuts.

Before the steroids, my fasting BG was in the low 90's, now it's over 100, which isn't a good starting number for the day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.