The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Type 2 for 10+ years on oral meds transitioning to insulin end of November 2010. I was taken off all oral meds at that time (metformin, actos, glimepiride) and put on Lantus starting at 12 units and am now up to 86 units. I was started on fast-acting insulin, Novolog, mid-December and am on a 1:5 ratio for lunch and dinner and 1:4 + 2 units for breakfast. Fasting numbers are in the 150-190 range, post-breakfast 250+ and the rest of the day still mostly high. I download my readings to software and only 20% are within range (<140) for the past several weeks. Is it normal to take this long? Should I look for another endo? I have told him I'm willing to be more aggressive to get this under control.

What about using oral meds and insulin? I see some people list that in their tags. He hasn't even mentioned that as a possibility. I'm doing everything they tell me to do and am not "cheating" and keep careful track of carbs. I'm just getting a little frustrated. Actually, not a little, a lot. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Zander, was your oral medication therapy working to keep your blood sugar controlled? If it was, why did the Endo recommend such a change?

Jen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I has a great endo for first 3-4 years until he was recruited by Mass General in Boston. Then my PCP said I didn't need to see an endo as I was in the low 6s for my A1c. Starting around the beginning of year 10 my bG statred creeping up. I was delaying getting an endo as I was pretty sure I was going on "the needle". When I got to 9.2 I made an appoinment in the same office I went to before, but a different endo. Ergo, major changes in treatment.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As you can see I am on insulin and oral meds and I am not sure if any of them are really working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts