The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I'm wondering if I should take my Metformin during a meal or AFTER. I take about 2800mg spread 3x through the day, as well as the glubutride cut in half 2x per day 30 min. before the meal as recommended in my Johns Hopkins book and other medical brochures. I guess the glubutride lowers the blood sugar before eating. But as for the Metformin, maybe taking it post meal spikes from relatively high bg, to low?

Tx for any feedback.

:canada:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
metformin seems to act longer-term than that, in preventing your liver from releasing glucose. Are you on the rapid-release? If so, perhaps taking it with food may prevent digestive difficulties.

I just try to take mine (XR) 12 hours apart.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
metformin seems to act longer-term than that, in preventing your liver from releasing glucose. Are you on the rapid-release? If so, perhaps taking it with food may prevent digestive difficulties.

I just try to take mine (XR) 12 hours apart.
Hi foxl,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Not sure what the half life of Metformin is, but i know it is longer than the glubutride and glyclazide. I am not on RL. I have not digestive problems with this drug. I like its side effects which are all beneficial to the heart, the liver, the cholesterol, and the appetite decrease. But i ask about taking it with or after meals in case hypglycemia may result from taking it without food, after a meal preceded by glubutride. If it makes no dif. juist as well.

tx

:canada:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I take 2550 mg of metformin which I thought was the maximum. I never take it at meals. I experimented with the timing to see when my bg spikes. Since metformin works in the liver it does not have the same effect as other diabetes drugs. I find it has a small immediate effect and then a larger cumulative effect as it builds up in my system. I find if I miss a dose I will get a 10-20 point spike. I take my first 850 when I first wake up, the second 850 some time around 9-10 am and then the last one right before I go to sleep usually around 11 pm. I also have found that metformin works better with a fairly low carb diet and some daily exercise.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take 2550 mg of metformin which I thought was the maximum. I never take it at meals. I experimented with the timing to see when my bg spikes. Since metformin works in the liver it does not have the same effect as other diabetes drugs. I find it has a small immediate effect and then a larger cumulative effect as it builds up in my system. I find if I miss a dose I will get a 10-20 point spike. I take my first 850 when I first wake up, the second 850 some time around 9-10 am and then the last one right before I go to sleep usually around 11 pm. I also have found that metformin works better with a fairly low carb diet and some daily exercise.
Hi jwags,

that's pretty informative; it *is* the spikes i am interested in; that larger cumulative effect - is that contributing to lowering the bg? I basically have the same regiment as you, except that i take my 3rd one after supper, and due to a semi-hypoglycemic effects sometimes, i am thinking of experimenting with taking WITH the meal, as the Johns Hopkins book recommends. Do you take it before bed due to aiding sleep? Low carb - yup -- that is hard because it takes time to prepare different meals for my family, but yeah, i will try.

tx so much for your informative post.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't think metformin helps with your sleep, but it does help with the spikes I get during the night. I take melatonin to help with sleep. On Jenny's 101 blog she feels taking metformin at night makes you go to the bathroom more, but I have to go to the bathroom at least once a night either way. I know if I take my metformin at dinner my morning bgs will be much higher. I like to keep them under 100. For me it doesn't help taking it at meals. I do think the reason they recomend that is to help with stomach distress. Luckily I don't have that problem. Also if you are experiences lots of spikes it could be due to eating too many carbs. I find when I cheat and eat more than 15 carbs at a time the extra carbs are stored as glycogen in the liver. It is this glycogen store that the liver draws on when it thinks you are low and converts it to glucose. This is what causes DP in the morning. By eating low carb you are depleting some of the glycogen so you get less spikes. I did a lot of bg testing and finally figured out that during the day I need to keep my spikes below 110 if I want to see morning bgs below 100. Because of hormones I seem to spike more in the morning than other times of the day. If I forget my morning metformin I will spike even if I don't eat but I rarely spike in the afternoon or evening

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, i think you are right that the authors of Johns Hopkins book on Diabetes recommend post meal Metformin due to many people complaining of stomach ache. I am fortunate to have absolutely none because this is a good ajunct drug. And yeah, it could be too many carbs -- i think i am not the only one with this problem -- however there may be a possibility that post-meal Metformin and for me esp. supper, it could be a spike of low bg. then supper going up, and then Metformin bringing it down. I do watch my quantities but must correct my carbs. I don't have problems with voiding at night -- for the past 30 yrs. it has been once at night and that is probably the lithium, which btw. was much worse for that and others before being treated for diabetes.

tx for your knowledgeable comments;

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I take the XR metformin and have noticed no difference as to when I take it. In fact, if I miss a dose, the result of that doesn't show up for a day and sometimes not at all.

This could be due to the XR. My doc said to take the 2000 mg once/day but I split it AM/PM at various times, sometimes w/ meals, sometimes forget and take later.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take the XR metformin and have noticed no difference as to when I take it. In fact, if I miss a dose, the result of that doesn't show up for a day and sometimes not at all.

This could be due to the XR. My doc said to take the 2000 mg once/day but I split it AM/PM at various times, sometimes w/ meals, sometimes forget and take later.
It's not very strong as an anti-diabetic, but it helps and perhaps potentiates the other new classes, such as glubutride. Here is the Wikipedia blurb on its history - quite a fascinating drug really; almost in the class of the big ones like aspirin and penicillin, and lithium: (the only drawback seems to be lactoacidosis, but very rare and in specific population groups):

Metformin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

I split mine into an AM and PM dose. I take 2000 mg of the extended-release also. I only split it because I find my fasting numbers are better with doing so, vs. taking it all at once.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm still experimenting with taking at different times...I was taking all 2000 mg at night (closer to bedtime), but it really hasn't made that much of a difference with my fasting bg. I think I might take my Levemir earlier than bedtime by about two-three hours and see if that helps as well. I've noticed that my daytime numbers have been a bit higher as well and don't know why. Could be taking the metformin all at bedtime. I had a 166 fbg the other morning, had a omelet with cheese and before lunch was 208? This was after taking 13 units of Humalog. That certainly did not make sense to me at all. Hubby made the omelet for me and used coconut oil to cook, so I'm very confused on that one. But, then again, my body likes to do things that even the doctor's sometimes scratch their heads over. Go figure.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It may not be enough to throw off your omelet, but I've been backsliding by buying shredded cheese in bags, and it contains starches to keep it from caking together. So if you're using pre-shredded cheese too, you're getting both potato starch and cornstarch in your cheese. Ambushed by the food industry again . . . :mad:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't know where you go to just ask a question that is not really related to an ongoing thread so I am probably in the wrong place again. It does have to do withe medicine though. Does anyone take creon? I have to take 2 before every meal.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Ah Shanny, that could be the culprit! Is it the same for string cheese? I'll have to look at this. Doesn't surprise me that you can sabotage yourself without even knowing it! I had a morning bg of 198 (damned DP) and took my bolus and had a string cheese for breakfast (wasn't real hungry this morning). My number before lunch? 261! :eek: I'm thinking did I not eat enough? I know sometimes this can cause a liver dump, but my lunch is usually 2-3 hours later. I figured with a high morning number and not feeling too hungry I would just eat some cheese and would be fine. I guessed wrong. Damn. So now what? Buy cheese in the brick and shred myself? Is this okay too? I hate having to read every single little thing on a label. They (food companies) are not making it easy on us diabetics. Ugh.:mad::(:ban:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't think string cheese is treated with starches - there's nothing there to stick together like shreds of grated cheese. Check the labels - it's included on the labels of shredded cheeses.

But yes, I'll go back to buying cheeses in bricks & grating it myself - I just got lazy in recent months.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I did check the labels on the shredded cheese we have at home, and you were correct, there is corn starch and potato starch in it! Unbelievable! So, I went out and bought three different bricks of cheese that I can shred myself. I also realized last evening that I have the start of a cold; today it is in my chest and coughing...yuk! So, I'm sure this will affect my bg's for the next several days until it clears. :pout: I almost started crying last night thinking about the fact that I've given up all breads, pasta, potatoes, rice, sugary treats and desserts, etc. etc. and I am still having difficulty with my bg's. I exercise, probably not enough, but I do. I truly watch everything that goes into my system now (with the exception of being ignorant to the fact that bagged shredded cheese had starch in it!), and I still struggle to control my bg's. I feel like my body is my worst enemy, and I don't understand why. I treat it good. I think part of my problem is serving sizes. With that said, I typically watch the portion size that I take, but when it comes to the LC/HF desserts, I'm a bit glutenous I must admit. I need to tame that wild beast inside me that says something tastes good, eat the heck out of it until you make yourself sick! But, with that said, I do not do that everyday or all the time either. That is why I hold off on making some LC desserts. I don't want to eat the whole thing! I just want to be successful like everyone here. And I know it did not happen overnight for everyone; I'm just impatient. And now to be sick on top of it....AAAUGGGHHH!
Oh well...gotta get back to my paying job :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts