The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am 32 and have had tingling sensations in my legs for about 7 months now and more recently in feet and hands. I have had an MRI done which showed some demylenation but I have to wait 6 months to see a neurologist. The report was vague and the doctor said it could be nothing and may have been there since birth.

I am concerned my doctor did not take bloods to test for diabetes (had bloods tested over 2 years ago). I have no other real symptoms apart from tingling which could be why he didnt do blood tests but I am worried it could be diabetes. Has anyone had the tingling as their only noticeable symptom or first symptom? I also have anxiety now and I think that is a combination of having an attack during the MRI and the 'in-limbo' feeling I have at present.

I would appreciate any help. I understand I need to wait to get a professional diagnosis but waiting 6 months seems like a long time right now.

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
any other symptoms like rapid weight loss, fruity smelling urine, blurry vision? think neuropathy is one of the symptoms you get after years of nerve damage (someone please correct me if i am wrong on this)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Joe, I agree with you. The other symptoms you listed are the ones normally experienced in the very early stages of diabetes. The neuropathy, eye problems, etc would come much later if the diabetes is not in good control.

If the tingling is the only symptom, then it is very unlikely to be diabetes. A neurologist could give a test to determine if there is any kind of nerve damage present. Diabetics are not the only ones who can have nerve damage.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I had a lot of the tingling in legs, feet and hands for several years before diabetes. I was going through menopause at the same time and did exercise quite a bit. So I never thought it was diabetes. Now that my bgs are much lower most of that has disappeared unless I overuse my hands like wrapping Christmas presents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any other symptoms like rapid weight loss, fruity smelling urine, blurry vision? think neuropathy is one of the symptoms you get after years of nerve damage (someone please correct me if i am wrong on this)
No other symptoms that I know of. The scan report said the demyelination is not typical of MS. Thats all I know at this stage until I see the neurologist. I am just worried as there is a history of diabetes in my family.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Many diabetics never even get to suffer nerve problems, it certainly is not the thing I would jump at first.
The main and obvious ones are the drinking, and peeing long before other problems.
I spotted my diabetism for lack of a better word, before my doctor. It is in the family though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts