The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening one if the small toes in my left foot began to tingle and feel numb. It's scarring me! I've tried rubbing it out, walking more than I usually do, soaking it in warm water and it hasn't gotten better.

Please help what do I do?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Diabetes isn't the only thing that can cause numbness and tingling. It is best to contact your doctor who can give you a referral to a neurologist. The neurologist can determine what is causing it.

While you are waiting for your doctor appointment, you might try lowering your bg to see if that will help. Numbness and tingling (Diabetic Neuropothy) can happen when bgs are as low as in the 120's. I was having the same thing in my feet and toes, so I got my bg below 120 and have kept it there, and the numbness and tingling went away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gizmo said:
Diabetes isn't the only thing that can cause numbness and tingling. It is best to contact your doctor who can give you a referral to a neurologist. The neurologist can determine what is causing it.

While you are waiting for your doctor appointment, you might try lowering your bg to see if that will help. Numbness and tingling (Diabetic Neuropothy) can happen when bgs are as low as in the 120's. I was having the same thing in my feet and toes, so I got my bg below 120 and have kept it there, and the numbness and tingling went away.
Thank you for responding. I thought this only happened in cases where bg was extremely high n persons who have years of being w D. My bg has been ok today. 114 fasting and after lunch 104. I didn't think I was in such bad shape this would be happening. My appt yesterday I was avg at 124. I was just diagnosed in september w D and started making changes right away to prevent things like this.

Im relieved to know it can go away. It feels really ugly I would hate to have something like this long term :(

Thank u again!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Lots of things can cause neuropathy, high bgs is just one of them. Were your bgs higher when you were diagnosed? Sometimes when you lower bgs very quickly in to a good range this can happen. Many neuropathies will disappear as bgs become more normal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jwags said:
Lots of things can cause neuropathy, high bgs is just one of them. Were your bgs higher when you were diagnosed? Sometimes when you lower bgs very quickly in to a good range this can happen. Many neuropathies will disappear as bgs become more normal.
Yes when I was diagnosed it was avg at 250...I've been able to keep them more in the normal range now.

Thank you for responding. I was panicking! I wasn't expecting something like this to happen. I was already thinking I was probably gonna lose my toe. Funny too cause the doctor had just asked me Friday if I had any numbness or tingling which I hadn't up until that very night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts