The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last week or so, my fingers have been getting tingly and/or numb. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. Anyone have insight whether this is diabetes related or more likely the carpal tunnel? I'm planning to ask about it during my next appointment June 8; I'm just wondering if I should keep worrying or not. :confused:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Yes, diabetics definitely get more carpal tunnel and frozen shoulder as well as other things involved with ligaments and tendons. I have chronic plantar fachitis and tennis elbow. From what I heard keeping your HbA1c the lowest you can is the best defense, preventing glycation and sugar sticking to your nerves.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, diabetics definitely get more carpal tunnel and frozen shoulder as well as other things involved with ligaments and tendons. I have chronic plantar fachitis and tennis elbow. From what I heard keeping your HbA1c the lowest you can is the best defense, preventing glycation and sugar sticking to your nerves.
Ugh! :eek: After working in retail for 9 years, I had surgery on both feet due to plantar fasciitis. That was about the same time I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel. I'm pretty sure I'll need surgery again due to female stuff, so I definitely don't wanna have surgery for either of those. Speaking of surgery, what kind of surgical complications are usually attributed to diabetes?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
This is better asked of your doctor. I mentioned it to my PCP in this years checkup after assuming it was neuropathy but having been told it was not, I had an ultrasound and it turns out it is a circulation problem and will most likely need surgery for it...I'll know Friday. Numbness is more than just neuropathy from diabetes it seems.

Never knew that!

Scardy Cat, me...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is better asked of your doctor. I mentioned it to my PCP in this years checkup after assuming it was neuropathy but having been told it was not, I had an ultrasound and it turns out it is a circulation problem and will most likely need surgery for it...I'll know Friday. Numbness is more than just neuropathy from diabetes it seems.

Never knew that!

Scardy Cat, me...
A few months ago, I would've just assumed it was my carpal tunnel acting up, but the nagging thought that it could be diabetes related started to freak me out a little. I have an appointment with my doc Wednesday, so I'm definitely asking about it. I haven't worried about circulation because I've never had problems with it. The cardiologist said it was great 6 years ago. But, then again, I wasn't diabetic 6 years ago, either. Btw, what did you find out? Do you need surgery?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
The cardio-vascular surgeon will do an angiogram to see if I need a stent or not and do one if so. He says this is not an uncommon problem for those of us who smoked years back...so mention it when you see your doctor.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
For the past 2 months I have been having trouble with pain in the hips, plus legs and feet falling asleep, hand and one finger falling asleep, and had a couple of bouts of carpel tunel. I thought it was diabetes realted, but doc said no, my bg is too low for that, he checked my circulation and it is fine. Then I read on the forum that when your spine is out of alignment, it can press on nerves and cause these things.

I went to a reputable chiropractor, the x-rays show my back is in an S curve. He said the neck has to do with the nerves in the arms and hands, and the lower back has to do with the nerves in the hips and legs. I haven't had any pain in my lower back, even though it is out of alignment, and not much pain in my neck. Only pain has been off and on in the middle back because of the curve. I have had 3 treatments and still have a way to go, but no more carpel tunnel and the numbness is a lot less than it was. So if your doc doesn't think it is diabetes-related and if your circulation checks out, you might want to consider having a chiropractor check it out with x-rays.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been needing to visit the chiropractor because of my back. I never even considered that my misaligned back could be causing the problems with my hands. I'm prioritizing my doctor's appointments, so that one's kinda on the back burner right now, but I'll definitely talk to him about that when I go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts