The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :) I was just wondering if any one else gets a tingling (like pins and needles) in their hand and arm? I get it mainly in the left arm. I am wondering if this is just another symptom associated with diabetes or could it be something else? I will be seeing my doctor this week, but just thought I would ask you informative bunch also :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just an old hillbilly guessing, but:

For type 2 diabetes only:

As I understand it, diabetic neuropathy is a secondary characteristic of general circulation failure caused by metabolic syndrome after years of high insulin levels or high blood sugar levels or both. It will occur first in areas furthest from from the heart, that is in the feet and lower legs. If the "pins and needles" occur in the hands and arms first it may be more indicative of some other malady. And problems with the left arm only may indicate some kind of heart problem or mild stroke.

These Forums are mostly for diabetics to compare notes and commiserate.

You need a real doctor that is competent in such things to test and analyze your condition, not a general practitioner, but a general practitioner may be better than nothing.

ColaJim

I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV! :D :D :D

Hi :) I was just wondering if any one else gets a tingling (like pins and needles) in their hand and arm? I get it mainly in the left arm. I am wondering if this is just another symptom associated with diabetes or could it be something else? I will be seeing my doctor this week, but just thought I would ask you informative bunch also :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I often get that feeling if I have slept on my arm and cut off circulation. I'm not sure if it is a specific diabetic complication, since I do keep my HbA1c fairly low. It could be caused by a pinched nerve, carpal tunnel or many other things. I would definitely discuss this with your doctor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts