The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been discussed in the past, but I thought it would be helpful to remind everyone that uses insulin to make sure those tiny bubbles are removed before you inject into your body.

Sometimes getting those little bubbles out is time consuming. If any of you have some suggestions on how to remove those tiny bubbles, your words of wisdom would be appreciated.

As far as I know, I may be over reacting to the removal of tiny bubbles; and if I am and those tiny bubbles are not a problem to concern ourselves over, PLEASE let me know, too! :whistle:

Shalom, and good health to all my fellow diabetics,

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good Morning Pastor Paul,

Understand your concern over air bubbles in the syringe injections. From what I've read the biggest problem with air bubbles is getting less insulin delivered for your body to use.
My self do 2 injections daily using NovoLog 70/30 a fairly long acting Insulin. It has worked well for me to draw the Insulin slowly, thereby avoiding bubbles. I currently use a 10 mL vial & 1 cc syringes, but may switch to the pen based injections for my next Doc visit/scripts.
My insurance provides BD syringes and I found the following link helpful, for those unfamiliar view the entire process of how to inject.
Insulin Injection Demonstration

G

·
I was shown by a nurse to flick the pen/syringe. But to be honest when I've had any bubbles I flick like crazy and it doesn't seem to disappear for me. :confused: I'd like to know if there is any other trick to it too. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I over draw the inulin by a large amout and then inject it back into the vial. Dr. Bernstein mentions this in his book. I don't get bubbles this way. At least I don't think I do, as I quit checking a long time ago. They won't hurt you any. As someone said, it just means you might get a little less insulin, but if they are very tiny I doubt it matters.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Flicking does nothing for me, either!

Slow-draw and over-draw work most of the time. When they don't, I shoot the insulin back into the vial, draw air into the emptied syringe, shoot the air into the upside-down vial, and start over again.

On a bad day ... lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm not concerned about any injury from air bubbles, since we inject under the skin, not into major veins. But a significant insulin underdose makes its own brand of hurt!

·
Registered
930 Posts
i do the same as Shalynne

Flicking does nothing for me, either!

Slow-draw and over-draw work most of the time. When they don't, I shoot the insulin back into the vial, draw air into the emptied syringe, shoot the air into the upside-down vial, and start over again.

On a bad day ... lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm not concerned about any injury from air bubbles, since we inject under the skin, not into major veins. But a significant insulin underdose makes its own brand of hurt!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was shown by a nurse to flick the pen/syringe. But to be honest when I've had any bubbles I flick like crazy and it doesn't seem to disappear for me. :confused: I'd like to know if there is any other trick to it too. :D
Hold the needle of the syringe pointing straight up then tap. The bubbles will collect into one bubble at the top, and you can push it out the syringe then, by pressing on the plunger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I never worried too much about it, like already said injecting under the skin.

It seems no matter what I do when giving the little one his insulin there are always "small air bubbles". even after cycling the syringe a few times.

I asked the doctor, he said don't worry about it, after showing him what I meant.

G

·
I use insulin pens... so perhaps the little bubbles I shouldn't be concerned with then. :D I usually do put the pen/needle straight up and flick... but the bubble never goes to the top where I can get rid of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts