The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and wanted to make a quick post. I apologize if this is a topic already covered. If it is please direct me to a more appropriate place for this post.

I have been diabetic for over ten years and recently my stepfather was diagnosed as well. Since the diagnosis I have spent hours going over the many things I have learned over the years but am sure I am forgetting a million things I just “know” because I have been dealing with diabetes for so long.

If you have a moment I would greatly appreciate and tips, tricks, suggestions or things you know now about diabetes that you wish you were told when you were first diagnosed that I could share with him.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Take care,
Kevin

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you have a moment I would greatly appreciate and tips, tricks, suggestions or things you know now about diabetes that you wish you were told when you were first diagnosed that I could share with him.
Every diabetic is different, but there are several tips that unite us all and that we have in common with non-diabetics as well. My family physician and my endo both agreed on these, and I have them on my fridge.

1. Water
2. Exercise
3. Water
4. Exercise
5. Food Awareness
6. Regular Meds (if you take them)
7. Regular Glucose Tests
8. Regular Doctor Visits

Everything in our lives hinges on these seven things. Water and exercise are the most crucial to any North American and have the greatest impact on the human body before any kind of diet or lifestyle. Far more often than not, people are lacking enough of one or the other. You can eat healthy all you want, but you will never be at your healthiest physical potential without regular water and regular exercise, and it's never too late to start.

5-8 are more individualistic cases for diabetics, but the gist of them is universal. You should trust your doctors and attend them regularly, because by and large they're not out to make you feel miserable about your life but find ways to help you improve it. But they're last on the list, because you're responsible for your ultimate choices.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and wanted to make a quick post. I apologize if this is a topic already covered. If it is please direct me to a more appropriate place for this post.

I have been diabetic for over ten years and recently my stepfather was diagnosed as well. Since the diagnosis I have spent hours going over the many things I have learned over the years but am sure I am forgetting a million things I just “know” because I have been dealing with diabetes for so long.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Take care,
Kevin
Welcome Kevin! Are you both T2? Do either one of you take any oral medication or insulin? When I was first diagnosed, I would have liked to have attended some diabetes self management classes. I waited until I needed to go on insulin before I asked my doctor about diabetes education. I did purchase a few books to help me understand diabetes better, doctor's usually don't have the time to answer all of our questions and we can't always think of questions when there is a doctor around. I hope you have the time to visit often!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am T1 and taking insulin. A few months back I started using Omnipod which has thus far been pretty great.

·
Registered
204 Posts
hi there :) the ONE thing i wish i knew - eat to your meter. that would have changed everything for me in the beginning. it gives great feedback and lets you know what works and what doesn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts