The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was making some low-carb graham crackers that called for flax meal. We had purchased flax meal a few months ago and used a little bit for something, but kept the rest in the cupboard. I got it out last night and read "refrigerate after opening" on it. Uh oh.

I opened it up and it was rancid. Smelled like oil paint, actually.

Luckily I had some flax seed (for making the nummy Optimist crackers). I tried grinding it in the food processor, and it just bounced around. Then as a last resort I tried the coffee grinder... and it worked!

So from now on I'm going to keep the seed around and grind the meal as I need it, in the coffee grinder.

You old hands are probably nodding and grinning at my newbie discoveries. ;)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
That oil paint smell? It's like boiled linseed oil. Hmmmm, wonder why ....

But seriously, I am NOT buying flax oil caps ever again! I got that smell, too, only in burps -- UGH!

I keep a working portion of my flaxmeal in the fridge, and the rest in the freezer, to prevent rancidity ...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I also keep my flaxseed in the freezer. Sometimes when I am working with it, I will forget to put it back in the freezer. But at most, it sits on the counter for a day or two - no more.

My 'specialty' flours like almond, coconut and hazelnut I also keep in the freezer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts