The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my phone so this will be short. I'm out for dinner with friends and am sittig here panicking ruining my night

It seems that after food I am getting pretty sleepy this just started a while ago maybe 5 m days but worse now

I'm fixated on diabetes but I've tested my sugars 3 hours after a meal and I was completely normal probably even ideal. But my worry is this: is my sugar spiking really high right after meals? If not for sugars or anything diabetes related then what he heck is this?!! I'm praying it's not what I think it is. I need some input. I'll also seem to get a bit headachy after food too? And I'll feel shaky as well like inside my body, but my hands aren't shaking or anything. It's not super intense but it's noticeable. Is this just anxiety associated with food
Or what

I'll test my sugars when i get home but I already know they normalize to normal levels after food. So could it be spiking right after food or?!!

Inputs please. I'm freaking out. I'm out at dinner on my phone panicking, my friends think I'm insane it's so frustrating. Help please!

Like I said my sugars seem completely normal today. I knownit was three after food but my number was 4.4

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your friends are right, you're driving yourself insane over this. As I've said before, whatever techniques you've learned over the years to rein in your anxiety (and surely there have been SOME efforts in this area, since you have been and are being treated for it), you need to utilize those tools now. You know what the problem is and it is not diabetes. You also know what to do about it, and yet you allow these irrational thoughts to continue and escalate.

G

·
But my worry is this: is my sugar spiking really high right after meals? If not for sugars or anything diabetes related then what he heck is this?!! I'm praying it's not what I think it is. I need some input.
Praying will get you nowhere. You want your question answered about your blood sugars right after a meal...use your dang meter, an excellent device for "input".

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.. yes, I am making myself a crazy person over this.

Well I have considerded testing right after food but was told that it's not going to be accurate. Then again I am testing to see if I spike really high, does this even sound likely though? I've tested today at the one hour and two hour marks and it's all fine, the two hour mark goes back to 4.7-4.8, my usual readings. I tested last night after dinner was was carby, plus I had just had a glass of OJ when I got home and again, numbers were fine.

I need to get rid of my meter, it's just going to keep fueling the fire for me but at the same time it provides instant relief. I suppose I need to get rid of my anxiety first and foremost.

I'll try testing right after food and see, but so far once again the 1 hour and 2 hour numbers are showing normal results as per usual...

Sorry for being a broken record.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for the replies.. yes, I am making myself a crazy person over this.

Well I have considerded testing right after food but was told that it's not going to be accurate. Then again I am testing to see if I spike really high, does this even sound likely though? I've tested today at the one hour and two hour marks and it's all fine, the two hour mark goes back to 4.7-4.8, my usual readings. I tested last night after dinner was was carby, plus I had just had a glass of OJ when I got home and again, numbers were fine.

I need to get rid of my meter, it's just going to keep fueling the fire for me but at the same time it provides instant relief. I suppose I need to get rid of my anxiety first and foremost.

I'll try testing right after food and see, but so far once again the 1 hour and 2 hour numbers are showing normal results as per usual...

Sorry for being a broken record.
If your one and and two hours numbers are fine...I am really going to suggest that the reason you are feeling this way is likely due to your anxiety and not diabetes. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about this and see if they can help?

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm going to see him next week.

So I'm freaking out on the train right now because I just tested my sugars a few times. I had three timbits at work (small little doughnuts) and tested right after. I was at 6 (also had a large sub for lunch)

So I test half hour later and I'm at 3.6!!?? I'm scared. I feel fine untilup seen that number now i feel off so i tested again, 3.7. A few more tests and I was from 4.3 down to 3.6.

Should I be worried? Why is this happening? Ugh I knew I shouldn't have bought strips. I'm super scared I'm going to pass out on the train. The 3.6 is the lowest I've ever had. And after sugar too??? The doughnuts were glazed and super sweet. I was expecting it to be high!

G

·
Well I have considered testing right after food but was told that it's not going to be accurate.
That depends on what you, or whomever you're listening to considers accurate. In your case, what I call diabetes-lite...you don't need pinpoint accuracy as to your blood sugars because you don't have to use that number in a mathematical equation...e.g. an after-meal bolus injection. True, the glucometer manufactures are held to a accuracy of within 20% of what your blood glucose really is...but I've never honestly heard of any meters that consistently range that far out of spec's. Accuracy isn't the point...monitoring is.

Then again I am testing to see if I spike really high, does this even sound likely though?
Depends on your carbohydrate intake and anything else you eat at that meal that will likely slow down the digestive process. Sugars spike the fastest, then breads, then pastas, and so on. You may eat a Krispy Kreme donut by itself that contains 75 carbohydrates and 30 minutes later spiked up from an 85mg/dL-4.7mmol/L reading on your meter...to 175mg/dL-9.7mmol/L. You may eat a meal that contains meats, fats, carbohydrates, fiber and fruits that contain a total of 75 carbohydrates and a half hour later you've gone from 85mg/dL-4.7mmol/L to 115mg/dL-6.3mmol/L. At 1 hour it may be 130mg/dL-7.2mmol/L, and at 2 hours it may be back to 100mg/dL-5.5mmol/L.

What I'm saying here is that different testing times produce different results depending on the circumstance. Just being axious over all this can raise your blood sugars.

If someone just took their blood sugars at random and it read 4.7mmol/L they might think they're not diabetic. That's because the pancreas is cruising. Put that pancreas to the test with a heavy sugar/carbohydrate meal...and you'll see how the pancreas produces under a load.

Try this: Take a fasting blood glucose test when you get up. Write it down. Eat breakfast and go do what you do during the day. At lunch...eat a meal that contains at least 40 carbohydrates. From the first bite...take a blood glucose reading at one hour, and then again at 2 hours. Write it down. Do this for 3 days and come back and post your numbers...we'll see how anxious you should be over all this.

I'll have to agree on the get-a-grip part. :cool:

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just checked again on the train and 6.6 now. What the heck?

Could me checking my sugar outside in the cold give false results? It's chilly here so all's I can think is the climate did something to the strip?

Man I'm a mess. Going to call the doctor in the morning and get a rush appointment.

G

·
All meters and strips are temperature and moisture sensitive. My meter will throw an error code if it's used in a test below 50 ºF/10 ºC. Check with your owner's manual for your specific meter.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm pretty sure that's what it was, I'll look in the manual at home. Pretty foolish of me not to read the manual and learn about how it all works.

As soon as I was in the train with no cool air or breeze I got 6.6. Way to continually keep freaking myself out.

G

·
You need to calm down, dude. 6.6 for a freaky guy on the move...ain't bad. If I might...what's your history with diabetes? It's hard to help you without knowing a little heath history and what makes ol' OCDP tick! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I don't even have diabetes. I'm scared I'm getting it and so on, I have horrible anxiety (obviously) and am fixated on this issue. I'm going to call the doc tomorrow and tell him I am admitting defeat with my anxiety. Hes done an a1c on me and a random glucose. I've taken my own fasting and all normal. I'm all over the map, that I'm either too high after meals and then I also worry that o drop too low but so far haven't.

But anyways, I was 6.6 an hour ago and now 4.4. To me that sounds like a quick drop and usually I'm at 4.7-4.8. But I'm going to move on otherwise I'll test all night and feel like crap thinking I'm going too low. Agh I am truly a mess. I don't want to spend my night thinking I'm gunna drop low.

Once again, I really am sorry for being a broken record. Hopefully I see the doc soon and get my anxiety sorted out.

G

·
Agreed...go get your anxiety concerns solved. As to your worries over diabetes...do like I suggested in post #7. Do that once a week, same exact meals and I promise...diabetes will not "sneak up" on you.

There was a guy in another forum (which I won't mention) who admitted that at 430 pounds he'd decided to go on a diet. I asked him what kind of logic lets someone think that at 425 pounds you're okay...but at 430 pounds you decide to go on a diet. I got a "timeout" for being rude.

What I'm saying here is most people just find out they're diabetic. You, you remind me of my dog waiting for the mailman. He knows the mailman's gonna show up eventually...I can only guess he's just making sure he doesn't get caught off guard when he does! :rolleyes:

Sunday Night Football's on...gotta go!

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for comparing me to a dog, very kind of you.

If anything positive can come from this it's that I'll end up with knowledge and use it. Right now I get what your saying just worrying daily about getting it but that's my anxiety disorder and OCD. I guess bottom line is I can't help it. If I could I would have been over this months ago.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
How old are you OCDP?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
I'm 24 years old
FAAAR too young to have all this going on.

i hope your dr is able to give you some peace of mind pills or something because you should be living your life to its fullest right now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your period between feeding might be to long. Some diabetics work on 3 hours feeding other maybe 2 hours. Do some experimenting with the times that you eat. I always carry a zipper lock bag with a measured amount of nuts incase I am running late for my next feed. But be careful it is easy to over eat on nut.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.