The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting my latest unflattering A1C reading, I want to make a much harder effort on trying to change my diet. Problem is I have NO CLUE where to even begin. I assume that I am a high carb person. Generally my breakfast is 75+ carbs, lunch around 100, and dinner usually 125-150 (or higher). If I test 2 hours after eating, my blood sugar is usually over 300. After 4 hours I'm usually back to normal range, but I imagine that huge spike is what is killing my A1Cs. I have read THOUSANDS (literally) of articles, tips, hints, tricks but all it does is make my head spin. My memory sucks, so if I read a list of foods with glycemic index or something like that, I will forget anything about it as soon as I close it or set it down.

I will read diabetic meal plans and 100% of the time it will just be a bunch of things I have never heard of and/or they will require some sort of cooking (which I cannot do...don't have the time or the knowledge) so I scratch that plan. I can't afford the 100's of 'ingredients' I'd have to buy anyways. I really cannot even make the time to prepare a lunch before work (I really do not have a whole lot of 'meal' type food at home anyways other than sandwich type stuff or microwaveable things), so my lunches generally consist of sandwiches from Subway, Jimmy Johns, grocery store or a local eatery down the street from my work (no fast food). If I try to eat just one thing of yogurt in the morning for breakfast, by 10:00 I feel as if I am going to pass out from starvation. I could make toast at work, but I since I have bread for just about every single lunch, I try to avoid it for other meals, I'm assuming cereals would be a no-no as well. I would like to avoid fruit, but things like bananas or apples are easy and fills me up so that I can make it through the morning. One thing a dietician recommended that I did remember and have been following are replacing some of the microwaveable crap that I used to eat with Kashi microwaveable meals. I like them, they are healthy and they fill me up...but again, more grains.

I could survive just fine on a typical healthy diet without fruits, grains, dairy, etc. But I cannot possibly imagine how something like just a salad for lunch would get me through an afternoon at work. It absolutely would not...no possible way. I eat a lot of asparagus, corn, broccoli, etc. but I imagine somebody at some point will tell me those are all horrible for my diabetes as well. And of course, I can't eat just that because I need to get protein, this, that and the other thing as well from things that I am not supposed to eat. I also work out intensely usually 5 times a week (5 mile/40 minutes on elliptical 5 days a week and 1.5 hours of weight training 3 days a week), so I need something substantial to fuel me for that.

I don't know. If anybody had similar problems and was able to come to some sort of resolution, I'd be interested to hear. Even if it is just something like a diabetic meal plan that has things that people like me will have heard of and not requiring hours in the kitchen to prepare. If it weren't for these post-meal spikes, my blood sugars would be just about perfect. I rarely am too far out of range before meals.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
You are spiking after your meals because you have a high-carb diet (bread, fruit, etc) and the challenge, of course, is to find alternative for those.

You would of course go hungry on just a salad - you need more healthy fat in your diet. Do you like avocados? I often have just that for breakfast either plain or with a high-fat blue cheese dressing (look at the label to make sure there aren't lots of fillers - I get a fresh refrigerated one.) You don't cook, but you can probably scramble an egg, and nuke or fry a sausage. You can still eat your sub sandwiches or fast food burgers, just don't eat the bread.

I made an egg/tuna salad yesterday (it's not cooking, just hardboiling eggs and mixing with mayo and tuna in oil ... and grab a few tablespoons of that for a snack. It was quick to mix up, will last me for days.

If you like cheese, keep an assortment of that around to snack on. You can roll some lettuce around cheese and a coldcut (ham, roast beef, whatever) for a great, filling snack.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
All good ideas, Moon. I try to keep lots of cheese around, full fat yogurt is good for me except in the mornings, but it took me a while to learn that, and remember the full fat rule always! Subway has good tuna salad and their salads are good too. I can ask them for a salad instead of that yummy bread. I posted the other day that I've learned to order a footlong chili dog with cheese and onions and bring it home and just NOT eat the not so good bun...it works also.

Ecal, read some of the older messages. There are some good ideas there...and, you can order a McD's burger loaded with cheese and just take it out of the bun, or even just order it without bread and another piece of lettuce and that works too.

Good luck and ask anything you need of us, we're here to help and share ideas.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You might want to give the primal or paleo diet a chance. The protocol is high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrates. Fixing meals couldn't be simpler, once you wrap your head around it. The easiest way to sum it up is this:
A hunk of meat, some fat, and vegetables. Half plate of veggies, the rest meat and fat. Water.
As for ease of preparation, I understand you don't want to spend all day in the kitchen. Keep it simple. Start out with a base of veggies you can stand, and make variations on that.
Breakfast could be scrambled eggs with last night's leftover veggies.
Lunch can be a big-assed salad, with veggies, a can of tuna, olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Supper could be a grilled steak, butter, steamed green beans with butter, and a tomato salad made of sliced tomatoes, salt, pepper, and balsamic (or red wine vinegar.)

The point is, low carb doesn't mean boring, it just means changing your mindset.

Check out my website for more ideas, it is geared towards a person like you.

Well Done Chef! | Real Food For Your Life

·
Registered
718 Posts
You should eat 5-6 small meals a day to help with the hunger and to keep your blood sugar stable. Low carb / high fat is best... paleo / primal / low-carb...it's all similar.

As a mom of three - prep is definitely the hard part, and some times I'm just sick of all the work that goes into eating this way. But there are ways around it. I rarely cook complicated meals and I don't use any of the special low carb foods. I just leave out the grains and rarely eat starchy vegetables.

In the mornings, I don't have time or inclination to cook. I have some cheese and nuts. That carries me until I have some time to scramble some eggs w/ veggies, and sometimes add bacon or sausage.

I have a huge salad for lunch, with leftover meat of some kind on top and homemade blue cheese dressing or some store bought Caesar that I like. I have a side of fruit because it doesn't affect my numbers. It lasts me until time for my afternoon snack.

Dinner is a hunk of meat and loads of veggies. Throwing meat on the grill or on the oven is easy... steam up some veg, or make a salad, and you're good. If you like tacos or fajitas, use lettuce instead of tortillas, load up with salsa, cheese, pico de gallo, and guacamole...whatever you like.

I can't see totally avoiding cooking though...maybe this would be a good time to learn?

Otherwise, you can get low carb options when you eat out... subway will put any sandwich on a salad... you can eat burgers, just nix the bun, fast food chicken nuggets are usually one of the lower carb options and order a salad instead of fries. If you go to a sit down place, they usually have some kind of chicken or steak and you can always sub a salad or veggies.

Raw veggies with dip are always good to have on hand...cheese, nuts, jerky...

Can you cook simple things, like put a dozen chicken legs in the oven and let them bake?

Bake up a bunch of bacon and sausage, boil a bunch of eggs... keep them in the fridge for quick protein. I have a microwave bacon plate (Walmart for a couple bucks), and 3-4 minutes in the microwave and I have fresh bacon. I can't eat that precooked stuff they sell, it's so stringy and chewy, but if you like it, that's an option too.

If you do cook something, cook enough to have leftovers, that helps a lot.

I also cook up a big batch of chili or "goulash" - ground beef, chopped up veggies (zucchini, squash, mushroom) - then your preferred seasonings or sauce.

I stir fry a bunch of veggies and shrimp or chicken for my husband and portion it up into tupperware containers so he can just grab one for lunch. I also make him deviled eggs divided into containers.

Steamfresh makes little individual packs of veggies you can steam in the microwave.

You can eat asparagus and broccoli... most veggies are fine...but you just need to watch the starchy ones - potatoes, corn, peas... you'd have to test to see how they affect you...some people can eat corn, some can't.

Portion control can really make a difference...if you have to eat a carb, just make sure it's the right amount...half a bun, 1/2 cup of potatoes or so...about 15g. I'm not good remembering lists either, but over this last pregnancy, it all just became second nature, and so I automatically can eye the right size portions... they give you about four times more than you should have when you eat out... lots of places have nutritional menus posted, or you can get a little nutrition data book to carry with you. Invest in a kitchen scale, and measure everything you eat, pretty soon you'll learn the right serving sizes.

Your diabetes eating plan: Exchange lists - MayoClinic.com

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Most grocery stores carry low carb bread, and it's good. Also, you can buy the lowest carb tortillas you can find and use them for sandwich wraps.

Walmart has moist, good roasted chicken in their deli, the lemon pepper ones have zero carbs (nutrition label is on the bottom of the container) and they don't cost much. We eat it cold from the fridge and it lasts us 3 days. You can eat it as-is, or slice off some for sandwiches, or take a hunk of the chicken, place cheese slices on top and nuke to melt the cheese, for variety.

You can buy canned tuna or chicken, drain and throw in a hand full of chopped nuts for crunch, then stir in mayonnaise, and you have chicken or tuna salad.

If you like sauerkraut, you can make German sausage and kraut by stirring a small can of tomato sauce into a can or jar of kraut. Stir in a package of those pre-cooked frozen breakfast sausages, then just nuke a few minutes, stir, and do that until the sausages are heated through.

The only 3 veggies you mentioned are asparagus, corn and broccoli. The asparagus and broccoli are fine, but corn is high in carbs. Green beans and cauliflower are fine, so is spinach, and if you like spinach, and haven't tried canned mixed greens, you will probably like it. We like it more than spinach.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. Haha. I don't know why I can't think of some of the easy things like all that.

I do like most veggies, but my problem is I have good intentions when I buy veggies, but they wind up rotting in my fridge. So, seeing as how they are getting to be so expensive, I usually just go for frozen stuff. Can't tell you how many unopened bags of spinach I've had to toss this past year. :-/

My original post contained a lot of frustration. I'm really not as lost of a cause/idiot as I probably made myself seem. :) (Though I really do have an irrational phobia of cooking for some reason).

Today I broke my vow to never go to McDonalds again, but decided to go to get some nuggets as was suggested. Added a salad from the grocery store plus some cheese & cucumbers to snack on and it looks like i'm going to make it through the workday unscathed. Around 30 carbs compared to the 90-120 I usually ingest for lunch. Also made it through the morning on a container of yogurt. So I guess maybe I can do this low-carb thing...my 2-hour post-meal glucose reading was 182, so better than 200 or 300+. Baby steps.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Around 30 carbs compared to the 90-120 I usually ingest for lunch.
Yeah! :tea:

Also made it through the morning on a container of yogurt.
You might want to look at the carbs on that yogurt - it can be high. Plain greek yogurt is the best choice, but even that can be potential morning spike material. Diabetics can be particularly sensitive to carbs in the morning, and not be able to tolerate something that later in the day would be manageable. If you're getting a significant uptick from your yogurt, you might want to think of eating fat and protein and leaving the carbs alone until later in the day.

Congrats on moving in the right direction :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah! :tea:

You might want to look at the carbs on that yogurt - it can be high. Plain greek yogurt is the best choice, but even that can be potential morning spike material. Diabetics can be particularly sensitive to carbs in the morning, and not be able to tolerate something that later in the day would be manageable. If you're getting a significant uptick from your yogurt, you might want to think of eating fat and protein and leaving the carbs alone until later in the day.

Congrats on moving in the right direction :)
Yeah, 33 g of carbs. Which is why I wanted to eat just that and nothing else (before I'd have a yogurt, a banana, and sometimes something else :-/ ). But I took a trip to the grocery store last night and found some 7g carb vanilla Greek yogurt. Made me want to hurl when I ate it this morning, but hoping my taste buds adjust. It's time to change my attitude and eat what makes me healthy rather than eat what tastes delicious. Grilled up 2 steaks last night after I ate dinner last night too so that I can bring those into work for lunch these last 2 days. I woke up with a 46 this morning, so obviously some adjustments are going to need to be made, especially with my workouts. Bleh.

Hopefully I don't fall off the wagon. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, 33 g of carbs. Which is why I wanted to eat just that and nothing else (before I'd have a yogurt, a banana, and sometimes something else :-/ ). But I took a trip to the grocery store last night and found some 7g carb vanilla Greek yogurt. Made me want to hurl when I ate it this morning, but hoping my taste buds adjust. It's time to change my attitude and eat what makes me healthy rather than eat what tastes delicious. Grilled up 2 steaks last night after I ate dinner last night too so that I can bring those into work for lunch these last 2 days. I woke up with a 46 this morning, so obviously some adjustments are going to need to be made, especially with my workouts. Bleh.

Hopefully I don't fall off the wagon. :)
If you can get your hands on some Stevia drops, it can make that yogurt palatable. I also like to add in some blueberries. Worse case, I will make a post-workout drink of greek yogurt, heavy cream, frozen berries, almond butter, and whey protein powder. A very awesome way to cover that workout!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So of course I went to my appointment with my endocrinologist today and she laughed at my new diet plans. She said I absolutely need to avoid all fatty foods and concentrate on eating more carbs (well, less carbs than I had been eating (obviously), but more than the 0-30/meal I've been trying to eat the last couple days). She said 180g of carbs per day is what I should be aiming for. She especially said no beef, limited eggs, etc. which really blows. Ugh. I asked how I was supposed to keep my 2 hour post-meal glucose reading in a normal range, she basically said it was impossible, but I should aim for around 180. (If I eat 'normal' it is almost always well above 200 for me). I don't get it.

My thinking is that proper diabetes management means achieving numbers that resemble the numbers that a non-diabetic would expect. How is being above 180 after eating anything like a non-diabetic? If I wasn't on the pump, I would just lie about what I eat, but unfortunately I need to enter in my carbs in order to get my insulin. Ugh.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I wouldn't worry about lying and would do what was right for me. She's asking you to compromise your health and your future. It's not impossible. It's impossible if you follow her "rules" but it's not impossible if you eat the way you should.

If a person was allergic to peanuts, the doctor wouldn't say "You HAVE to eat 2 Tbsp of peanut butter every day."

For diabetics, carbs are the enemy, they raise your glucose and that will kill you. You don't HAVE to eat what's going to kill you.

You do have a choice. It may make meetings uncomfortable with her, but it's YOUR body and YOUR health.

·
Registered
90 Posts
wdmama said:
I wouldn't worry about lying and would do what was right for me. She's asking you to compromise your health and your future. It's not impossible. It's impossible if you follow her "rules" but it's not impossible if you eat the way you should.

If a person was allergic to peanuts, the doctor wouldn't say "You HAVE to eat 2 Tbsp of peanut butter every day."

For diabetics, carbs are the enemy, they raise your glucose and that will kill you. You don't HAVE to eat what's going to kill you.

You do have a choice. It may make meetings uncomfortable with her, but it's YOUR body and YOUR health.
Hear hear! Throw it in their face. They are there to help you with your diet. Inform them that you are indeed following a low carb protocol, and to HELP you with that. That's their job. If it's still too much trouble, say, (Donald Trump style,)

YOU'RE FIRED.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
But I took a trip to the grocery store last night and found some 7g carb vanilla Greek yogurt. Made me want to hurl when I ate it this morning, but hoping my taste buds adjust.
This is more for someone who wanted chocolate pudding, but ... my first desperate concoction after dx was mixing some erythritol into plain greek yogurt, and some unsweetened cocoa. The erythritol does dissolve in it if left alone for a while, and it was delicious to me - having gone quite a while with nothing sweet and no yogurt.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Blue Bunny Light or Walmart's Store Brand "Light" both have around 15-17g carbs and use artificial sweeteners. Might be a better choice if you cannot stomach the greek yogurt. If you can though, it's higher in protein, so worth it.

I think a couple oz of cheese and a handful of almonds would be a better breakfast and keep you fuller longer without a spike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new diet is going well so far. Granted, I have not cut carbs completely yet, I'm still between around 25-75 per meal. I am making a conscious effort to not get any higher than that. I'm still struggling with finding the time to prepare myself lunches rather than just cop out and make a quick p.b. sandwich. But doing better. No more 100+ carb lunches and dinners. And I've lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks despite not working out at all. That was a bit of an unexpected surprise!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The new diet is going well so far. Granted, I have not cut carbs completely yet, I'm still between around 25-75 per meal. I am making a conscious effort to not get any higher than that. I'm still struggling with finding the time to prepare myself lunches rather than just cop out and make a quick p.b. sandwich. But doing better. No more 100+ carb lunches and dinners. And I've lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks despite not working out at all. That was a bit of an unexpected surprise!
Low-carb/high-fat will do that for you! :D Believe me, docs & dietitians don't know squat about a healthy diabetes diet. If you have to lie to your doc - so be it. She's the no-nothing who thinks 180 is a safe target, for gosh sake! What in heaven's name is WRONG with these people?! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
916 Posts
This is more for someone who wanted chocolate pudding, but ... my first desperate concoction after dx was mixing some erythritol into plain greek yogurt, and some unsweetened cocoa. The erythritol does dissolve in it if left alone for a while, and it was delicious to me - having gone quite a while with nothing sweet and no yogurt.
Just wanted to say that all greek yogurt is not the same. My fav so far is Fage plain. It seems to be more creamy & has a better taste.

I think its 9carb. I put truvia and some sort of berry in it. OR I put a T or so of Sugar Free jam. I use the not so great GY for smoothies. :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
...I asked how I was supposed to keep my 2 hour post-meal glucose reading in a normal range, she basically said it was impossible, but I should aim for around 180. (If I eat 'normal' it is almost always well above 200 for me). I don't get it...
Sounds to me like you need to educate your endocrinologist somewhat on the NEW stance for blood glucose control... Many are still using old, outdated guidelines.

The AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists) recommends a treatment-targeted 2-hour postprandial blood glucose level of <140 mg/dL, and has recommended that target since 2002. For your endocrinologist to recommend 180 is dangerous. Their paper on the matter is here. The IDF (International Diabetes Federation) recommends the same target. Their paper is here. The nice thing about the IDF paper is it also recommends guidelines including a low-glycemic-load diet for actually lowering the post-meal glucose... instead of just the typical medication/insulin therapies...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts