The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always talk to much. say too much whatever. I am brutally honest and enjoy people who are the same with me. I am just copying here what I wrote in my abotu my experance' in my profile. I hope to make friends here, and learn how to control this thing that has taken over my life.
\

I have still yet to be diagnosed, although I have been in the ER with my BS at 479 , so I know I have type 2. I just have to take the three hour gluclose juice test ...... Well my dr has went ahead and wrote me metformin 500mg *( one a day ) The dr in the ER wrote me actos , somthing else, and metformin 1000 mg (2 x's a day ) I did NOT fill the meds from the ER , I have got my metformin 500 , and I am NOW taking it everyday , and also I have a trial pack of the actos , so I am taking one a day for 7 days. I can get my BS level down to 240 , so far thats as low as it gets . I have had SEVERAL warning signs and problems now, blurry vision , top teeth are now fake, weight loss, (60lbs in 4 mths ) not good. , constant urianary & yeast infections, pee often& with somthing in my urine. I think I read that somewhere .. its another high sugar thing. I also now have ingrown toenails and I am scared to death that somthing more life threateing will happen. I was craving sweets and drinking non stop dr pepper before. NOW as of 2 days . I am on diet drinks, watching all my labels , and trying to figure this whole damn thing out . I WANT to get better and NOT have to be on meds. I am already on high blood pressure meds, aniexty meds, and small amount of pain meds. ALL which make you gain weight and I still need to loose 30 more lbs. ATLEAST. I hope to meet helpful people here and get a handle on this desease before it really hurts me .

glad to be here, have been lurking , and learning . thanxs ~~

Reactions: DiabeticDaddy76

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Starsunmoon! I can see where you have a few things to be concerned about, and it sounds like you're addressing the issues. Plus it's always nice when a lurker decides to come on in & get acquainted! I'm glad to meet you!

One of the major adjustments I had to make in the beginning was to eliminate the major starches in my diet, not just the sweets. All the "white" foods - pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, etc. - will affect your BG just as fast as the sugary ones. So while the crackers might have been better than nothing, they weren't the best thing to keep your BG low.

Waiting to eat later in the day was always one of my habits too - I could always go without breakfast and lunch & never feel hungry. Now I try to have a little protein in the morning & a few bites more at lunch . . . it goes a long way toward keeping low and stable BG. Doesn't have to be much - just a few bites. You can eat all the protein & fats you can swallow without it hurting your BG. I eat a lot of cheese, eggs, nuts, olives, and lesser amounts of meat, poultry & fish.

I also take meds for depression, high blood pressure, thyroid in addition to my metformin, but the lower carb diet keeps the weight coming off despite these drugs.

Thank you for joining us. I hope you'll come around often and we can get better acquainted.

Take care,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry so LONG < & Yes, I AM the TYPO QUEEN .

thank you shanny, I see you are helping everyone. GREAT JOB :)

I would like to know.

I thought all the meat I could eat was good ?

I hear everyone hear saying eat lean meat only and a deck of cards portion ?

so my 1st question, what types of meat can I eat ? How much meat can i eat at one time / & all day ?

I am a meat eater. My favorite meal is aalmost 2" thick' med rare ribeye on the grill with mushrooms, onions, & broccli .

I can eat lots of broccli, I like canned veggies, I am not really a fresh veggie' eater. I also dont eat beans. I desperatly need a dietition (SP) and I am asking my dr to referr me to one IF this po dunk town even has one.

2nd ~~ well really 5th ..lol question ...........

what CAN I eat for breakfast ???

seems like everything is bad that I like, and everything I am soposed to eat, is yuck. :( I just dont know how I CAN start eating every day IF I dont like what I am eating .

its almost 12 , I just woke up abotu a hour ago, well was up till 4 am ... anyway ~~~ *( I am wondering if teh metformin is keeping me awake > ? i know it gives me lucid dreams) I take it at night so I dont feel the side effects all day . I will try one today taking it now, and see how that works.

I would LOVE all the info I can get . I NEED HELP. I am 33 yrs old,
I have high blood pressure , my liver panel came back abnormal ? so more testing there ... I also have anxiety and severe back problems. I need to have surgery on my back , I am now just medicating till I get thinner & healthier for the surgery. I smoke . I used to drink , hell I used to do Alot of things ..... probally what has me so sick now .

My spine is the age of a 70 yr old, and It hurts 99% of my life. I have delt with pain my whole life almost and I can manage. These side effects from this high sugar..........

I CANT deal with this. ITs BAD. I am sick of telling my loved ones I "dont feel good" they think I am lazy I knwo it. Im NOT. I just cant get up & go anymore. this sugar keeps me on my butt !!!!

My feet & ankles have NOT gotton swollen yet, I DO have ingrown toenails on both big toes they latley have been hurting more, and I am thinking of getting the podiatrist to just remove my big toenails. I have heard they will grow back, he says they wont .... I dont care, I just want that pain gone.

I CANT take this !! I have horriable urianary tract & yeast infections .///
\
and the ER they gave me leviquin , I had a alergic reaction , then they gave me 50mg benedral . that screws me up too .....

I AM alergic to penicllins, amoxicilins, and sulfa drugs. Now add the leviquin. I am sure my death will be a infection that I cant have any meds for . :( I am WAY TOO YOUNG to be dealing with all this and Po at the world for now. I need some answers & I need some help.

Are thier any other forums where the members are more active ? I need help , I want to read more . I have enjoyed this site and have read almost every newer' thread. I would love to stay here and find another forum as well .

SO can someone tell me ~~~~~~~

What do I eat >? How do I eat it . I need a diet to follow, until then I am just drinking diet cherry pepsi, and trying to find something' to eat.

The packs of crakers I thought to be a good snack .... I can drink meal drinks ? I just dont know how to eat , when everything is bad ... I know its frustrating , I know I am ...... I am just reaching out for help . I dont know how to do this alone. And in my crappy town I dont know if there is much help . I did see that Mcleod hospital has a diabetes learning thing ... she said I would have to be referred, and then I can take thier classes , which may help some of my questions.... BUT if I get in thier and I am the ONLY W woman , OR they talk so sslllllooooowwwww lllliiikkkkeeee tttthhhhaaaatttt' I just dont know if I can handle dumb ass people rigth now... LOL ~~
Its amazing the people they will put in a place of power around here. Its like where the hell did I just go ? when you walk in.... LOL I just really dont like living here anymore, and I want to move. We are talking about it and trying to figure out how much money we will have to make so we can make it . It just shouldent be THIS hard.

SORRY to rant & rave, I belive I have just really needed a place to vent . thank you for reading this and all my rants ., Hopefully some of you can help me . thank you for ALL your kindness, and please dont think of me as mean, I am just broken.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Whoa baby! You got my attention with that med-rare ribeye! My favorite too! The best cut of meat there is. You can eat whatever meat you want in whatever amounts you want - it won't hurt your BG. Now for purposes of weight loss, I guess we could modify that a little, but for controlling BG, go ahead & eat that steak! I'd say your steak & broccoli meal is one of the best diabetic combos there is. Very good for your BG.

(side note: whenever you happen to see a dietitian, be prepared to be told you need more carbs. The ADA guidelines are very lenient about this, and most professionals stay pretty close to what the ADA puts out. Thing is, if we're going by what our meters tell us, those carbs are just not workin' for us! When I eat a coupla thick slices of garlic bread, my meter explodes! :D)

When we're controlling our blood sugar, the protein and fats are good for us - it's the carbs that kill us. All these years of being told we shouldn't eat fat . . . they weren't talking to us diabetics! Fat is good for us. Not trans fat, of course, but natural fats. For a diabetic controlling BGs, cream is better than milk, and far better than non-dairy creamers for our coffee. Those non-dairy creamers are loaded with corn syrup!

For breakfast I sometimes have a small omelet made with one egg & some grated cheese melted inside. Other days I have bacon or a sausage patty. Sometimes I eat leftovers from a previous meal . . . it isn't always "breakfast" foods - I just eat whatever I want. If it's a handful of roasted almonds - great! I keep a lot of beef sticks & string cheese sticks around - they're about three or four bites worth, and it's just enough to keep me going & keep my blood sugar down. (sometimes what happens is when we don't eat anything, our body signals the liver that it isn't getting nourishment, so the liver converts its stores of glycogen into glucose and starts secreteing glucose into our blood anyway. That's how we can still have high BG even when we haven't eaten anything. Our body takes over & dumps glucose anyhow - can't win for losing!) So do try to eat a few bites of protein throughout the day - it will help keep your numbers down.

(btw, you keep about the same kind of schedule as I . . . up 'til the wee hours of the morning & then sleep 'til noon! Great life! heheh!)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you

thank you SO much for understanding . I was afraid i was too blunt. I am very frustrated at this point , and I thank you so very much for understanding . :)

beef sticks huh ? that sounds good. And I LOVE cheeze. :) Its great that I can eat that . Do i need to get low fat cheeze ? like i drink 2% milk, *( if I ever even drink it ) and I like the taste of it, not sure if I could go to 1% ... So do I need to get the 2% cheeze , or the low fat ... I dont mind, as long as I get to eat it :)

Are you talking about slim jims ? is that a beef stick ? I will go look for some today . I like eating teh beef&cheeze sticks. I can do that !!

What ceral is good , if any ?

I know the dietitian will probally tell me alot of things abotu food that I know I cant do . I have been low carb for awile now. Did the akins diet in 2005 and lost 80 lbs, I then gained it ALL back + , and now the high sugar ate some of my fat , so I have lost almost 60 lbs again. its good & bad. My liver panel came back abnormal, so I have to go back to the dr's and do more test , find out whats wrong there. i am really scared with that . I used to use alot of pain killers and diff drugs in my past . I have been sober now for almost 5 years , I am about to start online college and get a bach. degree in human services so I can help addicts. dr's write way too much pain meds, mostly because we the addicts' make them think we need that much . So they over-write. Then the people who have ANY addicts in thier genes' family , they have a high chance of becoming addicted to these drugs. The dr's are lead to belive *( and most people) that you wont get addicted unless you take MORE than what your prescribed. That is just NOT TRUE. You take the HIGH amounts your dr tells you is ok, then the day you have to go off that med. your body goes into withdrawl for it. Its really bad, thats when if your dr wont fill it again *( most wont if you say you need' that drug) Thats what turns people to street meds. and this is a epidemic that has taken the whole world on blindsided. My mother was a alcohlic, therefore I have it in my blood. So do my boys. my oldest is now trying pot, and I have told him, shown him. I am completly in awe that he is doing this, but truly what can i do. I tell him I love him, I want him to go to college and graduate from high school, unlike me, I am now 33 and going back to college to start my life that I should be halfway into already !! He knows the sacrfices I have had to make and I have took him to see people that smoke' and have let thier whole lifes get away because they never went to college and never prusued thier dreams . all because getting high' was on teh top of the list . I have been there and back, and I want to help as many as I can on the right road to life . I feel like I took all the wrong roads for him . But I also remeber at 15 , I wouldent listen to any adults ethier, you think you know it all at that age........

Anyway ~~~~~ WAYYY off track here ... LOL ~~ I think I need to blog , i have alot in me I need to get out . LMAO ~~ ie: my long post and vents and ramblings ... thank you very much for listing and Also for all my typos . I hope to get control of this high sugar and stop these aweful side effects of the high sugar. Seems like a long road ahead of me, but I will do whatever I need to , I want to live a very long time, I still have ALOT I want to accomplish in this lifetime and I feel as if I am just starting in alot of ways .

OK<back to breakfast . I like sausage. I dont eat too much egg. but if I cover it in cheeze I can eat it .. lol

what about condiments ... really bad right ? like ketchup, polynesion sauce from chick-fi-la *( OOO too good .... ) its got to be very bad for me right ? I would think honey mustard might be ok >? I WILL read every label , I am no chemist , so these #'s confuse me when I read how to eat everyday values..... carbs.proteins.fats.sugar...... and all thier #'s ... I read you take 40% of the day and thats yoru carbs ? See I am very lost on all of that , I will find it easier to just have a diet printed out , and follow it best as I can . I can mainly eat the same thing everyday as long as i like it . I know thats great benefit to me loosing lbs , and YES I WANT to loose more weight . SO how ever much meat that means is what I need to be eating ...

THANK YOU SHANNY , YOU ARE VERY SWEET TO ENDURE MY RAVINGS & RANTS ... :) ~~~~~ god bless ya !!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yep, I SO mean slim jims! lol! I've loved those since I was a kid & now they're a vital component of my diet plan - who'd have thunk it?! :D

As for milk & cheese, better to go with full fat cheeses & whole milk. There again, the low-fat campaign of recent years has endoctrinated us to think everything has to have fat removed, but unfortunately, when they remove the fats from foods, they are often replaced with carbs - and as diabetics, we're sunk. I think you'll be surprised to find that weight loss is often better achieved by eliminating the carbs, than by eliminating the fats. For one thing, the fats in our diets help provide the sense of satiety - feeling full after we've eaten. Carbs work exactly the other way - when we eat carbs, it just stimulates a craving for MORE carbs.

Some diabetics can tolerate small amounts of cereal, but you'll have to test to see if you're one of them. I dearly love oatmeal, but my meter hates it! So no oatmeal for me. Same with wheat and corn cereals - too much of a spike for me. If I were to try very small portions of cereal, I would use cream instead of milk because including fats with it will help slow down the absorption of the carbs in the cereal.

And speaking of cream, I use it for everything where milk is called for - gravy, sauces, etc. If it's too rich & creamy, I thin it with water. But there are almost NO carbs in cream, where milk is of course, loaded with lactose (sugar/carbs).

Once you get your BGs down to a safe level, you're going to find so many of the other difficulties subside. I don't have a good solution for the toenails, but if you have them removed, I know there's a procedure to prevent regrowth.

And huge congrats for getting sober & going back to school! You can do this!
You're going to feel so healthy & energetic when you get the BGs down!

oops . . p.s.
As for the condiments, they can be loaded with sugar. Read the labels & if there's sugar, corn syrup solids, high fructose corn syrup or most anything ending in "ose", it's gonna spike ya. But there ARE versions made without, so just shop carefully.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I always talk to much. say too much whatever. I am brutally honest and enjoy people who are the same with me. I am just copying here what I wrote in my abotu my experance' in my profile. I hope to make friends here, and learn how to control this thing that has taken over my life.
\

I have still yet to be diagnosed, although I have been in the ER with my BS at 479 , so I know I have type 2. I just have to take the three hour gluclose juice test ...... Well my dr has went ahead and wrote me metformin 500mg *( one a day ) The dr in the ER wrote me actos , somthing else, and metformin 1000 mg (2 x's a day ) I did NOT fill the meds from the ER , I have got my metformin 500 , and I am NOW taking it everyday , and also I have a trial pack of the actos , so I am taking one a day for 7 days. I can get my BS level down to 240 , so far thats as low as it gets . I have had SEVERAL warning signs and problems now, blurry vision , top teeth are now fake, weight loss, (60lbs in 4 mths ) not good. , constant urianary & yeast infections, pee often& with somthing in my urine. I think I read that somewhere .. its another high sugar thing. I also now have ingrown toenails and I am scared to death that somthing more life threateing will happen. I was craving sweets and drinking non stop dr pepper before. NOW as of 2 days . I am on diet drinks, watching all my labels , and trying to figure this whole damn thing out . I WANT to get better and NOT have to be on meds. I am already on high blood pressure meds, aniexty meds, and small amount of pain meds. ALL which make you gain weight and I still need to loose 30 more lbs. ATLEAST. I hope to meet helpful people here and get a handle on this desease before it really hurts me .

glad to be here, have been lurking , and learning . thanxs ~~
Hello there! You have come to a very good forum. You can learn alot from everyone here. I have been in the ER with blood sugar readings in the high 400's. I had a urinary tract infection and a yeast infection and very blurry vision. I was given Bactrim DS for the urinary tract infection and Diflucan for the yeast infection, both were gone in 10 days. It took several months before the blurry vision improved. I had these infections for months and just tried to deal with them on a daily basis, both were severe. I lost 60 pounds in 6-months because of high blood sugars. This is not a healthy way to loose weight. BTW, I regained all of the weight when I got back on insulin. If you have ingrown toenails, it is best to see a foot doctor and let the doctor handle the removal and or treatment. I went to the foot doctor because I have neuropathy in my feet. I got scared when I went for a spa pedicure and could barely feel anything that was being done to the bottom of my feet. I also let the nail tech cut out an ingrown toenail. When I saw the foot doctor I was reading an article in the doctor's office about pedicures and how harmful/unsafe they can be for diabetics. After my first visit to the foot doctor he told me it was OK to continue with the spa pedicures but suggested that I but my own clippers and other items that are used to give a pedicure and to only have my toenails filed straight across. He told me that I should not let a nail tech cut out ingrown toenails. The doctor would take care of that. I also got a pair of diabetic shoes with custom inserts. They are from Dr. Comfort. My insurance company paid 80% of the cost. The shoes are wonderful. I hope that your meds start to work soon and you are able to lower your blood sugar readings. BTW, Actos can take up to 12-weeks to work. I have been taking Actos since October 2009 and I really did not see improvement until last month. Take care.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I wonder if Medicare would cover a diabetic shoe if my doc ordered it? My pharmacy carries Dr. Comfort, and I've looked them over. Just very costly if there's no insurance to help out. I did get a pair of walking shoes yesterday and they seem very comfortable so far - as much so as possible anyhow, for feets that have worn only sandals for the last twelve years! These are Asics, and I got a good wide size so there's plenty of wiggle room. My husband got a pair several months ago & is delighted with his - total comfort, sez he. So we will see: Right now I'm having a flare-up of plantar fasciitis, and I'm not gonna blame the shoes yet, despite the fact that the flare-up only started AFTER I started wearing the shoes. I've had ups/downs with this for years, so it could be just unfortunate coincidence.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The shoes are very expensive but they are good shoes. My foot doctor wanted me to have the inserts as well. Most insurance companies will cover 80% of the cost of the shoes and inserts for diabetics, if you meet some medical critera. Ask your doctor about the shoes, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanxs everyone :) I LOVE slim jims !!!! and the beef sticks with cheeze !! I will stovk up on those !!!!! lol

I do however already only drink 2% milk,. IF I ever even drink it . lol Dont really care to . Today I ate a chewy granola bar for4 breakfast, and then cooked some hot dogs & chedder brats on the grill for lunch, *( only had one bun) ..

My last BS test was 170. I am pretty happy with that #, I feel amazing already just taking the metformin everyday . I cleaned for 2 days now :) BUT ~~~~~~ I am still having problems since Ihavent gotton ANY antibotics filled yet :( I HAVE to see a dr again !!!

I have medicaid for insurance right now, not sure what all it covers . but would love to know if any of you have it, let me know what I should be asking for. I can only get 4 scripts filled in each mth. so I have to be kinda picky. I WILL fill the actos , and keep taking my one pill oif 500 mg of metformin. I dont belive I need 2 pills at 1000 mg. after this mth I will know is I need to take 2 a day , and then on what I need more /less of with testing & meds.

The ceral is No big deal, I dont eat it much anyway . I DID eat some corn' chips the other night . I thought' they were ok ?? OOPPSS. I see you say corn is bad.

yes breeze... my infections are BAD..... I am aleergic to almost EVERTHING !!! So I will just have to see if clindimicyn will help *( its the only one I know ((I think) I can take )

My vision IS very blurry . AND I have just started wearing contacts, I thought it was them // LOL ~~ I KNOW its the sugar. It was before & after wearing the contacts my vision has been blurry . I go to see my otherpedic dr tom. I will ask him to write me the diflucan & the clindimycin,. HE may say no, told me before that was not his job, to make sure I have a reg dr. he is for my back only .

BUT I HAte to drive to my dr's office she is 45 min away too *( so is my back dr. ) but with him, I am in & out. With her, I have to wait 3-5 hours in the waiting room, then with her in teh office it takes ALL day . She is good. But I want to fine someone half as good , closer to me. lol ~~ Thier is a dr over here near me, taled with them in the er. he is the one that wanted me to take all these meds !!!!

I read that actos causes jaundise ?? Are you turning yellow ?? I am worried, because I already have a abnormal liver panel, and I dont want to damage my liver any worse. I will take the 30 pills they wrote, I am scare to take it too long . They also wrote another pill that says it does they excact same thing . lowers super high sugar levels. Dont know why they would write me 3 pills that all do the same thing and those 2 *( actos & other ) are to do the excact same thing !!! DR's around here dont really give a shit, and its really hard to find one who does. thats why the 2 drs. I have right now are both almost a hour away from me in 2 differnt directions, and BOTH very good dr's. I am VERY picky with a dr. I need to get my TEAM' of dr's together, and get everything taken care of. Problem with a OBGYN, is If your not preggo here, they dont take new patients !!!! I may have to lie, just to see a ob ! anyway ~~ thank you everyone for your support. I will be back with newer results after the apt tomorrow. thanxs everyone ~~~ hang in there !!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I have got my #'s down to 114, and 135 at nightime readings. I feel that is pretty good . I am not eating hardly anything , just finding it hard to I guess.... I had one really bad day when my sugar dropped to 65 , OMG ~~ I thought I was dying !!! low BS is WAY worse then high . But I am now not taking that actos and ESP NOT taking it like dr said in am. that made my BS drop to the ground, never again ... Hope everyone is well and having a great day !!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good to have you back, Starsunmoon . . . and good to hear your numbers are coming around.

If your appetite doesn't prompt you to eat something, try to remember and eat anyway - just a coupla slim jims and/or a piece of cheese . . . because not eating at all can cause your BG to rise too. It's called a liver dump, because when you don't eat anything, the body thinks it isn't being nourished, so the liver converts some of its stores of glycogen into glucose, and moves it into the bloodstream without being asked, so to speak!

Keep us posted . . . good to see you today!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
well I have got my #'s down to 114, and 135 at nightime readings. I feel that is pretty good . I am not eating hardly anything , just finding it hard to I guess.... I had one really bad day when my sugar dropped to 65 , OMG ~~ I thought I was dying !!! low BS is WAY worse then high . But I am now not taking that actos and ESP NOT taking it like dr said in am. that made my BS drop to the ground, never again ... Hope everyone is well and having a great day !!
Good to hear your bs readings are down! I understand about not eating and to have no appetite. I skip meals which I know is not good. Like Shanny said, try to eat something, if you eat some protein, it won't raise your blood sugar. Eat some cheese or a few slices of lunch meat. Sometimes my fasting blood sugar is in the 60's. My body has gotten used to it being that low. 65 is low but not dangerous so don't get to upset, eat 15 grams of carbs and wait 15 minutes and test to see where your blood sugar is. I keep glucose tabs in every room. They are cheap and usually does the trick. I also keep honey and light corn syrup around for lows. Sometimes you will need to try several fast acting carbs to see what raises your blood sugar fast. :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I read that actos causes jaundise ?? Are you turning yellow ?? I am worried, because I already have a abnormal liver panel, and I dont want to damage my liver any worse. I will take the 30 pills they wrote, I am scare to take it too long . They also wrote another pill that says it does they exact same thing . lowers super high sugar levels. Dont know why they would write me 3 pills that all do the same thing and those 2 *( actos & other ) are to do the excact same thing !!

Hello starsunmoon and welcome! You are getting a lot of great advice and I know it must be frustrating. We have all been there and can understand. One thing that is a must....be a label reader! Its all about the carbs. When you are reading a label pay attention to the total carb amount...not just the sugar amount. Try limiting your carb intake per meal to around 45g at first to see how it affects your blood sugar. I will also sometimes have a 15g snack when I am doing good with my numbers! If you do not have a book to use for looking up carb amounts I recommend the Calorie King book...(its my "bible") then there are plenty of good web sites including one by Calorie King. I suggest looking things up often at first. Many foods have a lot more carbs in them than you might think.

Most meats and fats (although I limit saturated fats) and non starchy vegetables are pretty safe. Watch the condiments...some of them are loaded with sugar. Again...read your labels :)

A good general rule is to look at your plate and mentally divide it up...half of your plate should consist of good non starchy vegetables....1/4 of the plate with a starch...and the remaining 1/4 with your protein.

As far as breakfast that you were asking about....a lot of times I will have a couple of pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter when I want some thing quick.......eggs and bacon and whole wheat toast when I have more time. If I am wanting something "carby and sweet" I really love Light and Fit vanilla yogurt with a 1/2 cup of multi grain cheerios mixed in. Thats about a total of 26g carbs and really satisfies my occasional sweet tooth!

If your liver enzymes are already elevated...just check with your doctor to be sure about the actos. I had asked my endocrinologist about adding it to my regimen and he would not give it to me because mine were also elevated at that time. I do take insulin, but I also take metformin to lower my resistance. The reason sometimes they give you multiple meds to accomplish the same thing is that often they work in different ways to get the same goal. Some may lower your insulin resistance (such as metformin) while others actually stimulate your pancreas to produce more insulin. They have the same result but work in different ways.

Sorry for the long post...but I haven't been online in a couple of days and am trying to catch up :)

Be well
Pam

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I am back ! : ( Sorry for being away so long . I thought I had my BG under control, then BAM !! IM right back in the 500's ! and now NOTHING is bringing my numbers down . I have the BV infedtion again, : ( my toenails on my big toes are ingrown, and now they changed my insurance, so it doesent pay for the foot dr anymore, : ( OR the dentist !! before it would ONLY pay to pull a tooth, Now it wont even pay the exam cost : ( ~~ And I have a severe absessed tooth already have been on antibotics 4 X's , and I just seen my dr. CANT get a endo, OR a nutrionist, !!!! But ,y reg doc wrote me levimer & humulog & metformin . Also the antibotics, and high blood pressure meds and some lipitor for my closteral , YES I am on a downward spiral !! BUt I am determind NOW to FIX this ! I want to be healthy and loose soem weight . I thought I was doing so well .. HA ! She wrote the clindamicin for my ear and tooth and my bv and I swear its NOT working for ALL !!! I called and she just said finish the meds.. !! I cant belive she wont wrote me the metrogel I KNOW will make teh BV go away wihin 2 days you start feeling better !!!! She is toutering me for waiting so long I know !!! But I know now eating and diet IS THE KEY !! So all alone with the help of you all and other forums and internet and books, I WILL find a diet for me. I TRY my best to eat as many small meals as I can, As I know that will help my metablism.. Its going to take awile, but I know I am on the right track now, and I am staying here till I am maintaining ~~ Thank you for all your help and for future help I NEED YOU ALL ~~ BE BACK SOON !!! I PROMISE !

·
Registered
556 Posts
Here is a website that might help you out. Low Carb, High Fat For Beginners. When I was first diagnosed, I would write down what I ate and how many carbs the meal contained, and take my bg 1 hour after eating. That told me how high that meal took my bg. Before long I knew how many carbs I could eat per meal without having my bg go too high. Everyone is different, but in my case I learned that I can only eat about 10 carbs per meal, around 30 per day. It is called eating to your meter.

I don't know if this will help you with your toenail problem but it worked for me. I saturated a very tiny piece of a cotton ball with Campho Phonique, then used a nail file or cuticle scissors to push it between the nail and the skin of the toe. I replaced the cotton after every shower. The cotton keeps the nail from pressing on the skin and the Campho helps guard against infection. Once the nail has grown beyond the nail pad, you can stop with the cotton. From that point on, if you never cut your toenail past the nail pad, you shouldn't have any more problem with ingrown toenails.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you ! I Will try both of these ... I DO need to keep my diarys, its SO much !! I have NO help . and I am very overwhelmed with everything I have to do ... thank you for your advice. I will write it all down ...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice to meet you. The people on this forum are awesome. I have learned so much from them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IM trying , getting some of the bernstein books for xmas for family. and I am searching recipes everywhere !!! I HAVE to find a meal plan ASAP !! MY problem is I have High cloesteral , and I am worried abotu eating as much fat as I am soposed to with the low carb .. It just seems like doors are getting shut in every direction !! I AM determind ! I WILL fight and BEAT this !! I am signing up for jillian michials online weight loss program and she has a meal plan for diabetics, So hopefully this will work . I cant get a endo OR a nutrionist where I live, I HAVE to do ALL this leg work ON MY OWN .,. See you soon I am reading everything in the forums I can to learn as fast as I can , my numbers are down in the upper 200's now, so everyday a little bit lower, thats probally the insulin ....

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
As long as you are eating low carb, the high fat will lower your cholesterol. Many of us are living proof that this is true, and we have our lab results to prove it.

If you haven't already read it, take a good look at this and do your best to follow it. Success will ensue, I promise.

LCHF for beginners | Dietdoctor.com

1 - 20 of 45 Posts