The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum with all you kind folks is helping me more and more! Had appt w/my doctor & got the results of my 3-month blood work checkup. I can't believe it! My sugar was just a little over 7. Darn, I forget the exact number but I was VERY happily surprised. A little high, I know, but better than it's been in ages. And I owe it all to YOU out there, giving me the incentive to start behaving myself and apparently I wasn't doing as badly as I'd been blatting about! At times I just wanted to give up and go back to eating anything I wanted, but your encouragement must have worked. And now I'm more determined than I've ever been to get it to normal, and I can do it! I didn't expect that. My doctor praised me because previously my numbers were really bad. I told him about this support group and he thinks it's great.

He also told me about a low-carb pasta. He wasn't sure of the brand but thinks it might be Barilla. I LOVE pasta so next time I go grocery shopping I'll read the Barilla labels.

I thank all of you for having more faith in me than I had in myself. I can do this! Diabetes doesn't have to ruin mealtime for me any more. By the way, at the next election for God, if I win (we need a woman in that office!) I'm going to create every person in this world with TWO pancreases'. That way, if one doesn't shoot out enough insulin, the other one can take over. VOTE FOR ME.

Again, I love all of you on this terrific and helpful forum. Whoever started it, I say "God bless."

·
Registered
741 Posts
:) you're so right Rosa...support is so very necessary....good for you for sticking with it!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Congrats on the new numbers. As far as low carb pasta, I would be very careful. There is a pasta called Dreamfields. It is not low carb but they claim that the carbs don't get absorbed. I had great 2 hour bgs (100) but 3 and 4 hour bgs were terribly high (148 and 200). The problem with most pastas is the serving size. You need to stay below 1/2 cup which is not a lot. Most of us tend to overestimate what a serving is. There are also whole wheat pastas like Barilla but they spike me about the same. Also if you decide to do the pasta cook it very aldente, otherwise you break the coating and never reheat it for leftovers because the spike will be terrible.

G

·
good news Rosa :D it's nice you are seeing improvement.... I know that feeling as my last HbA1c was the best I've had in a long while too. I do eat pasta in small amounts and it has to be el dente for me to eat it. The more you cook carbs, the higher the glycemic index goes. I'm looking for sustained energy and not a quick spike and drop. I haven't heard of Barilla low carb pasta? I'll have a look in our supermarket here to see what I can find.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Congrats Rosa on the progress you've made! You're headed in the right direction :) Huzzah.

I'm with jwags on cautioning about the pasta. I looked at the nutritional values of Barilla pasta on their site, and their pastas run about 40g carbs/2 oz. That's mainlining carbs at their finest :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Rosa, great work! You're really making progress.

Have you tried using Spaghetti Squash instead of pasta? It's far lower in carbs, and it's great with pretty much any sauce you'd use with the flour-based stuff. I'm sure that there are recipes here on DF - do a search and give it a whirl!

Jen

·
Registered
90 Posts
ROSA ROSA ROSA!!!!!!!!!

You are an absolute legend!!!!!!

WEll done...what great results....

I'm so proud of you!!!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Woo!!!

There is a Barilla Plus Pasta that is higher in protein and fiber...it has less of an impact on my blood sugar, but only if I have 1/2 cup...anything more and it's too much. It's worth a try... but we've completely given up pasta and really don't miss it. We use zucchini or spaghetti squash if we need anything "noodly."

I have my first "real" endo appt on Thurs. I was pregnant the first time I saw her and it was just for my thyroid...said we'd deal with the diabetes after I gave birth since I was keeping it under control. We'll see how it goes...I know she wants me to see a nutritionist but it ain't gonna happen. I've been to enough over the past 8 years and I'm pretty sure there's nothing new they can tell me...not to mention I've got it all under control on my own. I am anxious to see what my A1c might be though after nearly a year of perfect control. It went from 9.1 to 6.0 during my pregnancy...hopefully I'm in the 5s!

·
Registered
609 Posts
This forum with all you kind folks is helping me more and more! Had appt w/my doctor & got the results of my 3-month blood work checkup. I can't believe it! My sugar was just a little over 7. Darn, I forget the exact number but I was VERY happily surprised. A little high, I know, but better than it's been in ages. And I owe it all to YOU out there, giving me the incentive to start behaving myself and apparently I wasn't doing as badly as I'd been blatting about! At times I just wanted to give up and go back to eating anything I wanted, but your encouragement must have worked. And now I'm more determined than I've ever been to get it to normal, and I can do it! I didn't expect that. My doctor praised me because previously my numbers were really bad. I told him about this support group and he thinks it's great.

He also told me about a low-carb pasta. He wasn't sure of the brand but thinks it might be Barilla. I LOVE pasta so next time I go grocery shopping I'll read the Barilla labels.

I thank all of you for having more faith in me than I had in myself. I can do this! Diabetes doesn't have to ruin mealtime for me any more. By the way, at the next election for God, if I win (we need a woman in that office!) I'm going to create every person in this world with TWO pancreases'. That way, if one doesn't shoot out enough insulin, the other one can take over. VOTE FOR ME.

Again, I love all of you on this terrific and helpful forum. Whoever started it, I say "God bless."
Great news, Rosa! Those are great numbers and i know you've struggled with your diet so much. We're all proud of you! :D

I looked up Barilla and it's NOT low carb - 38g per oz! I think you need to say bye-bye to all pasta and starches and you'll see even better numbers. And just like someone else mentioned, DON'T fall for the Dreamfields curse. I stay away from it simply because Sherri Shepherd endorses it and she's not someone who takes her diabetes seriously.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats on the new numbers. As far as low carb pasta, I would be very careful. There is a pasta called Dreamfields. It is not low carb but they claim that the carbs don't get absorbed. I had great 2 hour bgs (100) but 3 and 4 hour bgs were terribly high (148 and 200). The problem with most pastas is the serving size. You need to stay below 1/2 cup which is not a lot. Most of us tend to overestimate what a serving is. There are also whole wheat pastas like Barilla but they spike me about the same. Also if you decide to do the pasta cook it very aldente, otherwise you break the coating and never reheat it for leftovers because the spike will be terrible.
I appreciate this info - it's important.

Sincerely,
Rosa

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great news, Rosa! Those are great numbers and i know you've struggled with your diet so much. We're all proud of you! :D

I looked up Barilla and it's NOT low carb - 38g per oz! I think you need to say bye-bye to all pasta and starches and you'll see even better numbers. And just like someone else mentioned, DON'T fall for the Dreamfields curse. I stay away from it simply because Sherri Shepherd endorses it and she's not someone who takes her diabetes seriously.
Thanks a million! I truly appreciate all of you :)

Rosa

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd be willing to bet LOW 5s! You go girl! :D
Shanny, all - One time my 3-month A1C was 13!! Anybody ever have theirs that high?

We'd been to the Bahamas for 8 days and I practically dove into the dessert table every night! As a result of that abuse, a few days after we got home I developed Diabetic Lens Osmosis - any of you ever heard of that? I never had til I got it. Anyway, my vision went extremely blurry, and it took about a month of watching carbs very closely to get my sight back to normal. It's a good thing it didn't happen til our vacation was over and we were back home. That condition doesn't cause any permanent damage so I was very lucky.

Have something else to tell you - my best friend's niece has been diabetic since she was 16 - she's now about 50. Tragically, she lost BOTH legs and then, years later, she had open-heart surgery. She told me the highest her sugar ever went to was in the 200's. I was shocked, as I know myself and many people who've been MUCH higher than that. Does anyone here know why such things would happen at those numbers? 200's doesn't seem so horrible, but I admit I know nothing medical.

Rosa

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Shanny, all - One time my 3-month A1C was 13!! Anybody ever have theirs that high?
Ouch. Mine was 12.1 at Dx ... I'm hoping I'm in the 6's or lower now... Going for a 6 month checkup soon...

... she lost BOTH legs and then, years later, she had open-heart surgery. She told me the highest her sugar ever went to was in the 200's. I was shocked, as I know myself and many people who've been MUCH higher than that. Does anyone here know why such things would happen at those numbers? 200's doesn't seem so horrible, but I admit I know nothing medical.
Wow, that's a lot of damage... I'm wondering if 200's means it didn't quite get into the 300's? (I mean, 295 is still in the 200's, right?)

It could also be that it was OFTEN in the 200's... and if it's in that range more-often-than-not, it will certainly cause a lot of damage, since damage starts at around 140... I'd hate to think what mine was doing to me (12.1A1c and 14.8 (267) fasting at Dx)... Glad I got it under control, looking forward to a long life with all my limbs...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I managed to get to 13.5 at diagnosis! Others have been higher. But, yeah, that's way beyond high.

You're doing great! :D

We'd been to the Bahamas for 8 days and I practically dove into the dessert table every night! As a result of that abuse, a few days after we got home I developed Diabetic Lens Osmosis - any of you ever heard of that? I never had til I got it. Anyway, my vision went extremely blurry, and it took about a month of watching carbs very closely to get my sight back to normal. It's a good thing it didn't happen til our vacation was over and we were back home. That condition doesn't cause any permanent damage so I was very lucky.
Hate that blurry eye thing!

Have something else to tell you - my best friend's niece has been diabetic since she was 16 - she's now about 50. Tragically, she lost BOTH legs and then, years later, she had open-heart surgery. She told me the highest her sugar ever went to was in the 200's. I was shocked, as I know myself and many people who've been MUCH higher than that. Does anyone here know why such things would happen at those numbers? 200's doesn't seem so horrible, but I admit I know nothing medical.

Rosa
Sounds like her diabetes preceded meters. Diagnosis and treatment have also changed over the decades. She may have gone for years, diligently managing her diabetes as best as the state of the art would allow. But her numbers may still have run too high, for far too long. Hope she is doing well now.

Despite the inaccuracies and hassle, gotta love the meter.

And, Rosa ...

:peace: Good On Ya! :peace:​

·
Registered
930 Posts
worse than that, my labs came back at blood glucose 368 mg/dl but the lab did not flag it and my VA doctor ignored it! it wasn't until years later that a stand in doctor sent me to the lab for an HbA1c test and i officially became a diabetic with an an A1c of 8%. even then i didn't get a meter with 50 strips for three months until years after that when i often complained of feeling horrible. they never did explain what a hypo was. i finally left the VA services behind but went back last year to get my records. my records showed that my last labs showed my blood glucose to be 42 mg/dl but my doc made no mention of this. can you say "malpractice"?

Rosa

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ouch. Mine was 12.1 at Dx ... I'm hoping I'm in the 6's or lower now... Going for a 6 month checkup soon...

Wow, that's a lot of damage... I'm wondering if 200's means it didn't quite get into the 300's? (I mean, 295 is still in the 200's, right?)

It could also be that it was OFTEN in the 200's... and if it's in that range more-often-than-not, it will certainly cause a lot of damage, since damage starts at around 140... I'd hate to think what mine was doing to me (12.1A1c and 14.8 (267) fasting at Dx)... Glad I got it under control, looking forward to a long life with all my limbs...
I hope I don't have any permanent damage either; that story really scared me. She is in the hospital again, I just heard...I don't know what for. If I find out, I'll let you know.

I hate being diabetic; it can do so many bad things to a person. Oh well, I've got to think positive, as I've made a fairly good start. Hopefully my A1C will be down to a 6 next time. Talk to you soon. I can't get over how nice everyone is here. I'm honored to be part of this group.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts