The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has become a problem for me.
I ate a high fibre cereal breakfast and a piece of multi grain bread with a little bit of peanut butter and a little bit of jam. Polished it off with a glass of skim milk.

Had a coffee.
Went out for my usual 2 hour hike, ran a couple of errands and now it's lunch time. Lunch will be a hunk of salmon and some veggies, which will work out to about 1 carb.

I pricked my finger and got a 4.2.
Doc says take a Metformin 3 times a day with meals.
Should I in this case?

KB

ps - yes I will ask Doc when I see him next, but in the meanwhile .....?

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I'm not able to tell much from one reading. Well, I could tell if I'm crazy out of control, but that's about it.

If you're keeping a log, testing several times/day, that would give you more to go on. What was your last A1C?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Do you normally do readings 2 hours after meals? That is a pretty hefty carb load for breakfast. Sometimes when people eat a lot of carbs their pancreas reacts with too much insulin which hits all at once sending you lower. Metformin doesn't work in the pancreas but rather in the liver to help stop some of the glycogen conversion into glucose. I take 3 metformins a day and have never been below mid 80's ( usually higher) . My last HbA1c was 5.3.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts