The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am diabetes patient and i have also a problem of tonail fungus. I want to know what problem created for toenail fungus treatment for diabetes patient.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Well, you need to get it treated because you might not feel when it gets worse. Definitely see a doctor or at least ask what your pharmacist might recommend to treat it! Some of the basic recommendations are to change your socks daily, do not keep your feet in shoes all day if you can avoid it, and if you use a communal shower like at a public pool, wear sandals so you don't pick up any fungus from the floors.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
A Podiatrist is probably the best person to see and he can check your feet for other diabetes problems.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
UUUGH we have this. It is pesky but not really a concern per my endo.

My husband's large nails got so thickened that he opted to have the nails removed (CRINGE!!!).

I have had 2 different infections -- distal, which is apparently just candida, around the tips of the the nail, and proximal, which aggressively destroys the entire nail.

Oddly, the proximal infection destroyed the nail, I loaded up on antifungals for 3 mos, and the nail that grew in is now candida-free and very nice, no scarring.

The oral antifungals are hell on your liver -- avoid them if you can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used tea tree oil last summer because I thought I had a fungus; my toenail had white lines and bumps. Anyway, I used alcohol to clean the nail and get it really dry after washing, the put tea tree oil on it. I did this morning and at bedtime, wearing socks to bed (which I hated!) for 2 weeks and it seemed to clear it up. At least the ridges on my nail went away.
Not sure it was fungus, because I never had it diagnosed, and it was before my diabetes diagnosis, but I would use it again if I needed to, since its a topical treatment.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Tea Tree oil is toxic to some pets, however .... investigate thoroughly before using!

I use a shampoo with it, but I suspect the plane that distributed the bottles flew over a tea tree before landing ...

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW..
A common home remedy for nail fungus treatment is Vicks vapo-rub applied twice daily to affected nails. They say it can take up to 6 months but many people and doctors swear it works.

Camphor, eucalyptus tree oil, thymol many other oils are present in Vicks.

Might work might not..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using Fungi Nail from Kramer Labs for the last 8 months and the infection has cleared completely. It takes persistence and patience, but it has definitely worked.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Mine cleared up by itself once my sugars came under control. Bonus!

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 11 of 11 Posts