The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have type 1 diabetes and i ve been getting really bad lows, with massive headaches and wanting to vomit, i know i lost weight and that might be the reason, but sometimes my sugars goes low and ita impossible, for example, tonight, i went all you can eat sushi, i put about 7 units of humolog, before i ate my sugar was 5.6 an hour later my sugar was 4.4 i went to the movies and felt diZZY and sick of course so i bought a bag of gummies it says it has 30 g of carbs in 18 gummies i had more than 16 an hour later my sugar is at 4.2 what the heck!!! HELP!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
A couple of possibilities come to mind:

-- You may need to reduce your basal due to your weight loss,

...and/or...

-- High glycemic foods like sushi and gummies might be giving you sharp, high spikes almost as soon as you swallow them ... followed by an equally steep crash.

If neither of these seem likely, hopefully wiser heads will be along shortly.

Hope you find answers soonest. Please keep us posted!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I've noticed this when I bottom out: candy does not work for me for more than 15 minutes. It could be the type of sugar, I don't know. When I go low, less than 4.0 on your scale or 72 on ours, I use either 2 glucose tablets or a medium sized apple. Both of these will raise my BG about 2 mmol, or about 30mg, and then begin to decline at normal rate.

Just an idea, but it works for me.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have seen other diabetics who have trouble with sushi and some of them have stopped eating sushi. There are some things I never eat because I have so much trouble with them, even though I know the carb content and bolus correctly. I have stopped eating cereals and rice and have never tried sushi. I eat very low carb bread (7 grain at 9 carbs per slice), and never have more than a half cup of fast acting carbs at a meal (potatoes, pasta, peas, corn, etc). There is a discussion of the Glycemic Index near the top of the Diet and Nutrition forum. It tells you which types of foods have fast or slow acting carbs. The slower acting ones will not cause your blood sugar to rise so fast after eating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive had sushi before too many times this is not the first time. Heres another thing that happened couple of days ago. At night my sugar was at 17.5 so i usually make correction from 8 to 17.5 which would be 9 units of insulin, BUT because ive had to many lows i put only 3 units of insulin guess what i had 2 lows in the middle of the night and one at 630 am one i woke up!! And that night i put 13 units of lantus

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Lows are not fun at all.:(
Do you count carbo?
For me I see that if I keep all my meals below 5 carbo, I dont need to take my humalog at all. I only take 8 units of lantus in the morning.
I get some lows even if I do it like this, but I have better control now, and I love that.
My life became much easier when I learned how to eat in a way that avoids most of those mysterious highs and lows.

·
Registered
335 Posts
optimist said:
Lows are not fun at all.:(
Do you count carbo?
For me I see that if I keep all my meals below 5 carbo, I dont need to take my humalog at all. I only take 8 units of lantus in the morning.
I get some lows even if I do it like this, but I have better control now, and I love that.
My life became much easier when I learned how to eat in a way that avoids most of those mysterious highs and lows.
Lows are not good - I've had some most strange experiences, went down to 2.9 with the palpitations and shakes tonight after eating a Chinese, those were low carb and MSN free...?! And no meds. Quite a worry.

·
Registered
94 Posts
maya969686 said:
tonight, i went all you can eat sushi, i put about 7 units of humolog, before i ate my sugar was 5.6 an hour later my sugar was 4.4 i went to the movies and felt diZZY and sick of course
Lows are one of things I hate the most about trying to control my BG. In your situation my guess is that you took too much insulin for the amount of carbs you ate. This could happen easily while eating sushi because there are so many variables in how they are made, how tightly packed the rice is, and how big or small each piece is. Also, I'm notorious for loosing track of how many pieces I actually eat--LOL!

Another thing might be that your insulin/carb ratio has changed from when you first calculated it. It might be a good idea to test it with a set meal so that you can confirm that your carb ratio is still right for you. Mine has changed over time (in fact, my requirements change even based in time of day!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts