The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard this is the rationale for LF HC, before?

I read it in a trade paperback and went, "Whoa, dude!" Of everything I had read before, this explanation was not among them ... so, did the author make this up, in the process of selling his theory?

(Book is about stress' role in high blood sugars and using relaxation techniques to help manage BG's. Not a BAD idea ... as an adjunct to everything else, but errrrhm, this stressed ME, b/c his credibility just took a nosedive!). :eek::p

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You mean the whole lot of us are going to the dogs?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure it happens in dogs, either ... just a perpetuated myth, really.

Unless you have p'titis, how would stressing exocrine pancreas function mess up endocrine (beta cell and alpha cell) function?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's an interesting study: Effects of a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet on VL... [J Clin Invest. 1999] - PubMed result
which says that "Low-fat, high-carbohydrate (LF/HC) diets commonly elevate plasma triglyceride (TG) concentrations..."

Strangely my "lipid guru" (real big shot doc/professor) dumped me as a patient because even though I faithfully followed his LF/HC diet for months my triglycerides wouldn't come down! He accused me of lying, the jerk. I feel SO vindicated.

This study is from 1999 so how come Dr. Smarty Pants is still touting LF/HC? Gotta love these studies -- you can prove darn near anything!

I have a rare, genetic, extremely high triglyceride level which is surprisingly benign except for the danger of pancreatitis. I'm presently on a LC/HF diet so thank you so much for this thread.

Love this forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to the person who "liked" my last post. I've edited it so you might want to withdraw that for the Dr. Smarty Pants crack. Lol. I actually have great respect for doctors but they aren't perfect anymore than I am and it's MY life they are messing with. So, I'll keep in control and have no one to blame but myself.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks to the person who "liked" my last post. I've edited it so you might want to withdraw that for the Dr. Smarty Pants crack. Lol. I actually have great respect for doctors but they aren't perfect anymore than I am and it's MY life they are messing with. So, I'll keep in control and have no one to blame but myself.
Heehee! That would be me. :D And not a chance of withdrawing my "like"!

I have great respect for most docs - I'm married to one actually, who's retired now - but when they start getting on their high horses & accusing patients of lying, that's where I call a halt. When they blindly follow erroneous book-learning & politically-charged policies from government agencies to the detriment of their patients - then I REALLY get steamed. So I like your style, njoy! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts