The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just wanted to touch on something that might help some of the low carbers with additional glucose control. It seems a bit counter-intuitive to the normal low carb gospil.

For the last year or so, I've been following a diet that I would describe as 70% protein (by calories), 20% veggie-carbs, and 10% fat. During the time, my sugars were pretty decent, but not always great. I think the best term to describe them would be "volitile

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Yes - half the protein we eat that's in excess of our bodies needs is converted to glucose. That's why often to gain the sort of control we want, if we're quite insulin resistant, we get better results substituting healthy fats for much of that protein.

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
**OOPS doing this from my phone and accidentally hit send!** continued below

...volitile. For instance, I could eat seemingly the same thing two days in a row, and have differing readings by as much as 20 points, plus or minus. There was a lot of variance, considering I ate such a similar diet each day.

Recently, I've joined the LCHF club, with some variations for type 1'ers, where my diet is about 70% fat, 15% veggie carbs and 15% protein. The results have been nothing short of amazing... I can test my sugar at almost any time of the day, and its 70 plus or minus 5 points... I can hardly believe the control this diet breakdown provides. Even when I eat my veggie carbs, I now require less insulin. I used to need a good 5-6 units, now 2 units seems to get it right back to the 70 neighborhood.

Obviously, I don't need to preach carb control, we all know that as diabetics. But, look at how much protein you're consuming. For me, this was a huge breakthrough.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks!

Wow! I never thought that protien could swing things that far. I'm going to try to lower my protiens and see if I get similar results! Thanks for sharing.

-- Gene

·
Registered
23 Posts
So what do you eat for your fats? Proteins are obvious, veggies I get, but I don't know what to add in for my fats.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Use butter and/or heavy cream on everything. Eat lotsa bacon & eggs. Full-fat mayonnaise and cheeses. Fatty fish like tuna/salmon/sardines. Fatty meats like country-style pork ribs, beef rib cuts, chuck roasts & brisket. Always leave the skin on chicken - fry it crisp & eat it. Nuts, olives & avocados make great higher-fat snacks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks! I need any and all advice. My Dr. is not the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts