The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just diagnosed today....I'm F, 53, 5'8" ,180pounds.
Here are the numbers, I don't fully understand what they mean.
Fasting Glucose 104
ALC 6.6
The endo, gave me Mepformin 850mg, and told me to start with 1/2 during dinner.

I eat for the most part, really healthy foods, all whole grains, chicken , fish, veggies, eggs, almond milk.
After reading this forum tonight, I just bagged up my organic whole grain flax cereal, to return to the market:mad:

I have a very bad back, and for the last three years, I have not been able to walk much, or for that matter do much of anything, to get some exercise. I think that has caught up with me.
I know I will have to step up the moving, in spite of the sciatic pain it causes for me.
And cut my portion size, in half:eek:
I am afraid, I will be starving! I already am, I just had a glass of unsweetened almond milk, is that OK:confused:

I plan to start out walking on the treadmill for 20, every other day.
The endo, did not suggest I get a meter, at this point, he said work it, and come back for a recheck in 3 months. He seems to feel I could turn it around if I really hardcore my efforts.

So what do you real life experts, think of my numbers (what do they mean), and my goals?
Thank you :cheer2:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Sugarfree! Welcome to DF. And before you return that cereal, tell us what else is in it . . . because flax is one of the things we CAN eat! :D But if it's mainly wheat, etc., you may be right. Most whole grains give us trouble.

Anyhow . . . your numbers look like you're catching this early, and it sounds like your doc has faith in you, despite not giving you a meter! ;) But a meter is what you need to determine which foods to eat and which to avoid . . . so you'll know day-by-day and meal-by-meal how you're doing. Much better than waiting three months to find out if anything's working. Walmart & other discount chains offer cheap meters/strips . . . I use the ReliOn one from Walmart which cost me $9 for the meter & the strips are $20 for a pkg. of 50. That's about half the price of some of the name brand meters, and the accuracy is comparable.

Your choices look really good to me, apart from the grains, and I would literally croak without almonds. Plain natural unsweetened almond milk. And that's in addition to raw almonds to snack on, almond flour to bake with, and almond butter for everything else. Almonds & eggs . . . there are days I prob'ly eat three or four eggs if not more. Yes - if there are deviled eggs in the fridge, that would be MORE - considering sauces & cooking.

I promise you won't be starving! For starters, your metformin may curb your appetite - it sure does mine. And secondly, if you build your meals around protein & fats, you'll feel full, and you'll stay satiated longer too. Carbs are really expendable, but fiber is not, so include plenty of high-fiber veggies to keep everything moving smoothly, and you should be fine. I think you'll find that most of us here are pretty hardcore, all right, and it isn't nearly as tough as you might think!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shanny, and thanks for the welcome!
Here is the link to the cereal, I'd love to know what you think!
So I am diabetic or pre-diabetic, with my numbers?
My internist said I was pre, the endo said I was diabetic?

Oh, I can't link u to the cereal, until I have more posts:(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shanny, do I have to stick my finger and draw blood to use the strips?
Are there directions included, because I have no idea about correct numbers?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny, do I have to stick my finger and draw blood to use the strips?
Are there directions included, because I have no idea about correct numbers?
Yep, this is the finger-poke part, and that cheap ReliOn I mentioned uses one of the smallest drops of any! :D And yes, there are instructions included with the meters . . . you'll want to get a fasting reading each day when you first get up & before you eat or drink anything. Anything in the 80s/90s is good for that.

Then for testing foods, you just test before you eat and test again one hour after the first bite. If this number is under 140, that food is prob'ly okay to continue. If it sends you over 140, then you may want to consider avoiding it for the time being. And after all that, take another test at the 2-hour interval and your reading should be returning pretty close to the pre-meal number. This doesn't need to be forever . . . you'll get an idea of which foods work and in what quantities. Many times if something is borderline, you can tolerate it in smaller portions on infrequent occasions. So once you've tested most of your usual foods a few times and know how you react to them, it only becomes necessary to test when you eat something new. Most of us take a bedtime reading too.

p.s. Try that link again . . . or just tell me the name of the cereal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx Shanny, going to look for a Relion meter, I am assuming I need to buy strips with it.
As with anything, this being to new, seems sooooo complex to me!
Thank you for your kind guidance :eek:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanx Shanny, going to look for a Relion meter, I am assuming I need to buy strips with it.
As with anything, this being to new, seems sooooo complex to me!
Thank you for your kind guidance :eek:
Yep - you assume correctly. And remember nearly every one of us here has stood where you now stand - not knowing but learning really fast! :hug:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, I was just diagnosed today....I'm F, 53, 5'8" ,180pounds.
Here are the numbers, I don't fully understand what they mean.
Fasting Glucose 104
ALC 6.6
The endo, gave me Mepformin 850mg, and told me to start with 1/2 during dinner.

I eat for the most part, really healthy foods, all whole grains, chicken , fish, veggies, eggs, almond milk.
After reading this forum tonight, I just bagged up my organic whole grain flax cereal, to return to the market:mad:

I have a very bad back, and for the last three years, I have not been able to walk much, or for that matter do much of anything, to get some exercise. I think that has caught up with me.
I know I will have to step up the moving, in spite of the sciatic pain it causes for me.
And cut my portion size, in half:eek:
I am afraid, I will be starving! I already am, I just had a glass of unsweetened almond milk, is that OK:confused:

I plan to start out walking on the treadmill for 20, every other day.
The endo, did not suggest I get a meter, at this point, he said work it, and come back for a recheck in 3 months. He seems to feel I could turn it around if I really hardcore my efforts.

So what do you real life experts, think of my numbers (what do they mean), and my goals?
Thank you :cheer2:
Ok. I am no expert but I went to a diabetes clinic when I was diagnosed and here is what I was told.
1. Get a glucose meter and take random readings. Half hour before breakfast one day. 2 hours after lunch the next...
(I am not saying you should get a meter but what have you got to lose?)
2. Eat 6 small balanced meals each day. You want to make sure you include a SMALL amount of each of the food groups. Be sure to drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water per day too.
3. Exercise at least 20 minutes per day. The exercise you choose needs to raise your heart beat and make you sweat.
I suggest that you talk to a diabetes clinic to find out what the numbers mean. All I know is that I am supposed to keep my levels between 4.0 and 7.0
Hope this helps,
Jayne

G

·
yeah I get told that 4-7 mmoL is ideal levels... although now 4-10mmoL is acceptable levels my endo reckons (apparently this is only recent that they think like this based on some research... another diabetic I know was told the same thing by their endo). Anything above 10 they get concerned as continual high levels above 10 can cause complications.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Your numbers seem pretty good and you are probably an early diabetic. The one thing to understand is what causes your bg to rise. It may be different for all of us. That is why using a bg meter, 2 hours after you eat is so important. You want the lowest numbers possible but no higher than 120-140. I aim for 100-110 after meals. I am one who has given up most grains, except for Eziekel sprouted bread made without flour. I only eat that if I am going to work out, because it does spike me to 125. I usually eat lots of veggies, good quality free range , nitrate free, hormone free meat and eggs and tons of salad. I bake all my own cookies, donuts and muffins from scratch. Check out the food section. Diabetics are great cooks.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Get ready to start learning that your Doctor is pretty clueless when it comes to our disease

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Get ready to start learning that your Doctor is pretty clueless when it comes to our disease
Wow, scary! But somehow not surprising, I remember when the doctor gave me my first SSRI , and I had always been thin until that time. And suddenly started gaining weight, I told the doctor is was the new meds. He said NO WAY, it was meeeeee! And I think now I am diabetic, because of SSRI's. Another WOW.
Now we know the truth to that......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts