The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone, my name is Julian from socal and I am 28. Today I was diagnosed with diabetes. My doctor and I don't know what type yet but he's having me on 1 med per day to see if my body respond to it or not and that will determine either 1 or 2.
I noticed my body was feeling strange right about 3 months ago. I started to feel extremely tired towards the middle of the day. Now fast forward 2 months and I started to loss weight, always thirsty and urinate more often. I know the physiology behind this disease but I will need plenty of help on testing and controlling my blood glucose level.
Your insight will be valued...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Julian. We will be glad to help you in whatever way we can. To me, it sounds like you're either Type 2 or Type 1.5 LADA but time will tell. Meanwhile, have a look around here and at bloodsugar101.com and read as much as you can until you get your results back.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Make sure you ask your doctor to run the additional bloodtests - GAD 65 and C Peptide to rule out Type 1 or LADA type 1.5. Many doctors make an assumption you are type 2 and give you oral meds and see if they work, first which is not always the best way to do it. If you are GAD positive you will need insulin sooner or later and it is important to get it. Whatever your type, though the priciples are the same. You need to control bgs to as close to normal as possilbe. This means under 100 for fasting and 120-140 or lower after meals. To get to those numbers you may have to change your diet a lot. Most of us have had to curtail most carbs in our diet to do this.

Reactions: LarryT

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Julian. I want to emphasize Jwags' admonition to make sure your doctor tests you for GAD antibodies & c-peptide. This is your life & your diabetes, and he's making a major assumption, which wastes valuable time if indeed you ARE type 1.5 (LADA) or type 1. Assumptions have no place in medical diagnoses, when there's a simple blood test that can provide direct information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts