The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't found a recipe in this section of the forum for tortilla chips, so here goes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush low carb tortillas with oil, or melted butter, or spray them with a spray like Pam. I use a pizza cutter to cut them to the size I want. You can place them on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, or line the sheet with non-stick foil.

Place the tortilla pieces oiled side up on the sheet, and sprinkle with salt and/or spices of your choice. Bake about 10 min. until lightly browned.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Jwags makes a chip too, that tastes like Doritos, but I can't find it here right now. Jeanne? Where can we find your doritos recipe, please? :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ooooo, yum! Hubby bought some Doritos and left them here with me... they went fabulously with the leftover guacamole from yesterday. I'll have to try to make low carb ones... I usually just use pork rinds for "chips".

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did find a recipe for zucchini Doritos-style chips on another site.

Zucchini Doritos-style chips Recipe
I tried this recipe today and it was a disaster. I was supposed to bake 12 min. then flip, but they were so unflippable I had to bake 10 min. more. Then I was supposed to bake 5 min. the 2nd side, and they were still too raw, so I had to add 10 more min. baking time to that side. I let them sit in the cooled oven 8 hrs. as per instructions and they didn't dry out, they were as limber as when they first finished baking. I know some people use a dehydrator, but these aren't worth the effort 'cause they have a horrible, stinky smell and taste terrible. Well, there goes another recipe down the drain.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Thanks Gizmo. I'll use the zucchini I bought for this to make a zucchini pie instead.

I did the other chips yesterday, the ones with almond meal and cheese and think they would've been good (though didn't taste like doritos one little bit) had I not forgotten them in the oven and grossly overbaked! Crispiness was not a problem :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can quit looking for a chip recipe 'cause tonight I sprinkled some Nacho Cheddar flavored popcorn seasoning on some pork rinds and they were yummy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A pizza stone works great for baking corn tortillas, you can put then directly on the stone. I make tortilla chips the lazy way, bake the whole tortilla and break it up after it cools.

Preheat the oven and pizza stone to 450
Spray each side of the corn tortilla with a little oil
For really low fat chips, use water instead of oil
(optional: sprinkle with a little sea salt)
Place tortillas directly on the stone
Cook for 2 min on one side, turn over and cook for 1 1/2 min
Remove from the oven and let cool.

Cooking time may vary, depending on your oven, how long the stone has been heating and whether you used water or oil. The tortillas are ready when they're a light golden brown. They may be a little soft when removed from the oven, but will harden when cooled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts