The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really paid any attention to carbs before my diagnosis. I've noticed packages mention net carbs. What's the difference? Based on my past counting of fat grams, I'm guessing I should just be looking at the total carbs.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
That's what I do personally, but many people say the net carb works for them. The one time I went by it, my body didn't know the difference and I spiked normally.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't take their word for the net carbs . . . I normally get along okay deducting the dietary fiber from the total carbs, but not the sugars.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I normally can deduct the sugar alcohols, too. I use the net carbs to help me decide whether to even try something then use my meter to decide whether I should eat it again.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Net carbs takes the Carbs and subracts fiber and sugar alcohols. Supposedly these do not get absorbed into your blood sugar. The only way to know for sure is to test. Many find sugar alcohols and sugar substitutes still spike them, so be careful. I usually subtract the fiber. I have a general rule that I rarely eat anything over 5-10 carbs a serving. Sticking to this rule really helps me maintain my weight loss and keep bgs close to normal range. This also eliminates most processed food since it is always higher than 10 carbs a serving.

·
Registered
141 Posts
To make sure you understand all this...

On the label you will find Total Carbs and also the Fiber will be listed. For some reason, when they figure Total Carbs, they add in the Fiber count. But fiber is not digestible, so you subtract the Fiber count from the Total Carbs and you end up with Net Carbs. Net Carbs is what most people count when they are counting carbs.

And from jwags & Wink's posts, it looks like you can also subtract the sugar alcohol count, too. Something I didn't know. Seems like you learn something new every day at this forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My diabetes educator said when counting carbs one could deduct fiber when it was 5 or over. I just assumed fiber wasn't counted as actual carb but deductible because it slowed absorption of the carbs.

I didn't heed much the educator had to say, but I did listen to this and tend not to deduct fiber unless it's significant and then I deduct half. But mostly it's moot since I'm more an estimator than counter anyway. Best guess by rough count is that I eat 50-75 carbs/day including veggies and that as long as my meter is being kind estimating is okay.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The best way is to test with your bg meter to make sure what the effect is. On many low carb products you see the term net carb which is usually very low because they have subtracted fiber and sugar alcohols. But I am sure a lot of us have spiked on some of these products so be careful. The important thing when going low carb is to replace the carb calories with additional fat calories.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Definitely by your meter, these are all great guides but don't always apply to everyone. Everyones body is definite, we learned here to learn by our meter before then my husbands #s were all over the place..now they are well controlled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
excuse me not definite, different....

·
Registered
554 Posts
I go by total carbs and eat less than 30 a day but try for less than 20 gms a day. I decided it is simpler that way.

Reactions: Abra and Patdart

·
Registered
2 Posts
30 grams a day would hard to do i think. After a year i ended up On Metformin 500mg and Actos 15 mg both once a day. 45 grams 3 meals a day and 20-30 bedtime snack. About a week and half i went my 3 year colonoscopy and after much debate with gastro doctor telling me to meds except day of procedure and family doctor telling me since i was going to be on just liquids the day before to not take them the day before or the day of. So i decided to go with my family doctor and everything well. I noticed my BG were good both days so i decided to quit taking my meds and lower my carbs and see what happened. I am eating 25-35 grams 3 meals qa day and about 10-15 grams bedtime snack and my BG is doing ok so far. With that being said i find it hard to find food to satisfy me during 25-35 grams a meal let alone trying to do 30 grams a day.

G

·
If you just try to remove the carbs and not replace them, you'll naturally be hungry. :)

However, if you try replacing them with good saturated and monounsaturated fats such as red meat, chicken, fish, bacon, eggs, cheese, full fat cream, avocados etc., you'll find it easy to fill yourself up and not have hunger pains. If you limit your carbs to green vegies and a few selected nuts or seeds and bring the numbers down below 30g, you'll find that your carb craving (which is different from hunger) will disappear. And your BGs will improve dramatically. This is what I did after diagnosis 6 months ago and my FBG is between 4.0 and 4.5 mmol/L (72 and 81 mg/dL), and my last HbA1c earlier this month was 5.5. My lipids are all improving dramatically as well, and my doctor is thrilled to bits. I'm a T2, diet and exercise only.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts