The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am a bit bummed right now. I have been on LCHF for the last two years, in and out mostly. Have lost over 15 kgs. However, my recent blood reports show that my Total cholesterol levels are 5.60 mmol/L (range: 2.65 - 5.18) and my LDL are 4.50 mmol/L (range: 1.40- 3.60) which is way above the normal range. My triglycerides are normal (1.22 mmol/L) and my HDL are also normal (0.88 mmol/L)

I don't understand what's going on? Am I eating bad fats?? is there such a thing on LCHF? Am feeling pretty lost and don't know what to do, lchf has helped me lose weight and control my blood sugars, my hba1c are the lowest the have ever been!

Is there any fat that I should avoid? or is there any way i can still be on LCHF and lower my LDL and cholesterol total? Am really worried right now...

any advice is welcomed..

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I experienced the same thing. After a year on LCHF, while HDL had risen and Trigs. came way down, LDL was even higher, making the total number high.

Then it was suggested that having been on LCHF for that long that the particle size of the LDL had converted to the large variety. So I had a particle size test run (VAD) and, they were right. Most of my LDL was the large, Type A, which does not contributed to cholesterol buildup in the arteries. Subsequent various heart tests, after having been on LCHF for six years, showed all was good with no blockage.

Recently I found an article that addresses the fact that the most common method of calculating LDL overestimates that number when Trigs. are low. Here's the thread I started on that.
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-news/92074-ldl-overestimated-when-trigs-low.html

Labs still show my LDL to be higher than the current standard - I'm not concerned at all.

One other thing - dietary fats do not increase serum cholesterol. More and more studies show that it is inflammation that causes lesions on the artery walls which triggers the body to produce more cholesterol to patch the lesion. What is the main contributor to inflammation? - carbohydrates.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Am a bit bummed right now. I have been on LCHF for the last two years, in and out mostly. Have lost over 15 kgs. However, my recent blood reports show that my Total cholesterol levels are 5.60 mmol/L (range: 2.65 - 5.18) and my LDL are 4.50 mmol/L (range: 1.40- 3.60) which is way above the normal range. My triglycerides are normal (1.22 mmol/L) and my HDL are also normal (0.88 mmol/L)

I don't understand what's going on? Am I eating bad fats?? is there such a thing on LCHF? Am feeling pretty lost and don't know what to do, lchf has helped me lose weight and control my blood sugars, my hba1c are the lowest the have ever been!

Is there any fat that I should avoid? or is there any way i can still be on LCHF and lower my LDL and cholesterol total? Am really worried right now...

any advice is welcomed..
TotC = 216
TotLDL = 174
TriG = 108
HDL = 34

According to many scientists and doctors, the old numbers just weren't very important or useful predictors of risk. The epidemiological evidence supports their uselessness. What are regarded as better predictors are low TriG, High LDL and a TriG:HDL ratio less than 2.

LC/HF almost always greatly improves the actually important numbers, but HDL takes much longer than the others. Yours should continue to come up if you stick with LC/HF, but I wouldn't worry much at all about numbers like yours.

I started out at:

TotC = 236
TotLDL = 160
TriG = 180
HDL = 34
Ratio: 5.3

After a year or two of LC/HF, my numbers were:

TotC = 236
TotLDL = 162
TriG = 50
HDL = 60
Ratio: 0.83

That was about 5 years ago. I haven't had another full panel, buy my TotC was measured 6 months ago and it was 173.

I regard my numbers as perfect and see no need to change anything. Low cholesterol may or may not reduce CVD risk but what seem certain from the global data is that it will likely shorten your life.

I read a study that said longevity vs. TotC is a "U" curve with both very low and very high meaning shorter lifespan. The bottom of the "U" or the sweet spot was around 230.

It was junk science from day one and it's taking a while to finally go away completely.

Reactions: VeeJay

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Like VJ, I too had the same experience. My Cholesterol went up during my first year. Not only had I started on the LCHF model of eating I also stopped taking my Statin drugs. My doctor was concerned.

After posting my results on this website and getting the same feedback noted above, I decided to 'stay the course'. I did this because I had lost 50lbs and my blood pressure had dropped from a borderline level to a perfect level, 120/75!

But, I did not stop there! I signed up at my local health clinic to have a heart scan/ artery Ultra Scan. Our local group does those tests for $130. That lead me to getting a stress test where they observe your hearts blood flows under stress....I passed those verifying that I had NO calcium anywhere in my heart or arteries....100% clean....!

So I have stayed on my LCHF and my cholesterols have now dropped into the normal zone....I am happy and so is my doctor....

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts

any advice is welcomed..
Having had quad bypass surgery, I too was quite worried for a while. I stuck with the LCHF but made a couple of adjustments. I cut back some on saturated fats I was getting from dairy and added monounsaturated fats (think Mediterranean). I didn't reduce fats, I just switched the sources a little. I was eating 8 ounces of cheese with meals daily so cutting that in half was an easy place to start. I added back extra virgin olive oil and flax seed oil and lots more avocados. You can see my latest lipid numbers in my signature.

If it was already mentioned, I apologize for missing it, you should look at reducing some polyunsaturated fats. Look into eating more things higher in omega-3 fatty acids and less things with omega-6 fatty acids. That should help get your HDL up higher.

The "ratio" smorgan mentions in his post are triglycerides / HDL. This ratio number is best kept under 2.0 and unless your total and LDL numbers are extremely high, is probably the most meaningful of the mentioned numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts