The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ...

I was diagnosed just a few days ago. Took a routine blood test. Results came in late at night (513), and I was called to the hospital immediately :eek: .

Suddenly I'm a newly-minted Type 2, on mixed insulin. :shocked:

Other than having Not One Clue what to eat, things are going OK so far, I guess. Oh, that and the fact that my hospital-recommended diet seems to have a lot of carbs in it -- delightful at first, but after a few days, it just don't seem right.

Glad this group is here!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi ...

I was diagnosed just a few days ago. Took a routine blood test. Results came in late at night (513), and I was called to the hospital immediately :eek: .

Other than having Not One Clue what to eat, things are going OK so far, I guess. Oh, that and the fact that my hospital-recommended diet seems to have a lot of carbs in it -- delightful at first, but after a few days, it just don't seem right.

Glad this group is here!
Hello and welcome to the forum! There is a lot to read on here so read what interests you and if you can't find something go to the forum page and use the search function box. Hospital food is a sore subject for me to talk about, I had 4 hospital admissions last year in early fall and I agree that hospital food has too many carbs for me. I don't know what else to eat while I was in the hospital. All of the food had carbs except protein, which they were really picky in giving you a decent size of meat or chicken.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Shalynne. Most of the medical community is hung up on including carbs in the diabetes diet, and you're absolutely correct - it ain't right! Besides that, it don't work! Even though you can cover with insulin, the fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin you'll need.

Did anyone along the line happen to give you a meter to test your own levels at home? That's a must-have. The best way to get the best menus going is to eat to your meter.

Ask all the questions you want . . . there are so many of us here that there's always someone who has been-there/done-that, and can guide you through.

We're glad to be here for you, and we're very glad you've chosen to join us - thank you! Visit as often as you can!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My insurance is actually pretty good. Fervently wish it were the same (actually, better) for everybody. Came home with meter, insulin and everything, and am using them!

(Having once loved an old, diabetic dog

Anyway, the diet they sent me home with calls for 6-11 servings of grains, beans and starchy vegetables per day, plus 2-4 servings of fruit.

Wow ... this is gonna be easy (sorta). Right?

Since I was scared to eat anything, I cut back further than they advised. But for some mysterious reason, all of my readings ranged between 200-290. :confused:

The Dr. reminded me that I had been at 513 only a couple of days before, so I shouldn't worry too much. She did advise me to increase the insulin dose slightly; I complied. No improvement. Today, I quietly dropped the starches and fruit.

Down to 146 both before and after a no-carb restaurant dinner. :rolleyes:

Feeling better than I have in months.

Of course, we never know what tomorrow will bring ...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, but the desire is Soooo Strong!

But then, so's the desire to stay the heck out of the hospital ...
Heh. Just realized I was replying to your sig, BackTwoPages! :eek:

Thanks, all. This place feels good!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
She did advise me to increase the insulin dose slightly; I complied. No improvement. Today, I quietly dropped the starches and fruit.

Oh tomorrow will take care of itself, since you've "quietly dropped the starches and fruit." I love it! You are instinctively eating to your meter!

It's sad that medical professionals urge increasing meds when the remedy is so bloomin' obvious! How much more obvious could it BE?! :eek:

G

·
welcome Shalynne :) that's a high BGL you had there. I'm also surprised that the hospital told you to eat that much carbs... they don't advise that here. I personally do eat carbs and the only carbs that work well for me are grains & dairy. Carb vegies just don't seem to work well with me. You need to find what works for you... we're all a bit different in what we're able to handle. Glad to hear you're testing already.... you'll need to do lots of that to get an idea how your body responds to certain things. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of great info here. You have already stumbled onto one of the big secrets of diabetes. Dieticians and Doctors advise way too many carbs for the average diabetic. Eating that many carbs will make it harder to lower your bgs into normal range. I was told that 180 after meals was a good number to aim for. So I figured if I was in the 200 range I was close. Boy, was I wrong. It is possible to lower your bgs into a normal range but they won't tell you that. I would suggest you read the website
Blood Sugar 101 and read a book called Diabetes Solutions by Dr Richard Berstein ( a diabetic) Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site

·
Registered
609 Posts
A Newbie Too

Hi ...

Glad this group is here!

Hi Shalynne,

I am in the exact same boat. I was diagnosed on Friday (260, A1C 11) and I've had to suddenly go from a crap-filled diet to a healthy one. I too am just learning what to eat and what not to. It's taking a lot of experimentation and a little boredom with food as I learn different recipes. The good news is if you were eating like I was - all junk - this disease is the kick in the pants you need to get your health back. I went back to the doctor today and by cutting sugar and carbs out of my diet and walking 3 miles a day since last Friday, I have already dropped 2 pounds in one week - something I've never done in my life.

Keep checking in, everyone here has been incredibly helpful and supportive and will keep you healthy!

Rosie

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hello & welcome, Shalynne. Most of the medical community is hung up on including carbs in the diabetes diet, and you're absolutely correct - it ain't right! Besides that, it don't work! Even though you can cover with insulin, the fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin you'll need.

Did anyone along the line happen to give you a meter to test your own levels at home? That's a must-have. The best way to get the best menus going is to eat to your meter.

Ask all the questions you want . . . there are so many of us here that there's always someone who has been-there/done-that, and can guide you through.

We're glad to be here for you, and we're very glad you've chosen to join us - thank you! Visit as often as you can!

Shanny, I went back to my doctor today and she gave me the usual BS - "don't have whole fats, only low-fats, add more fruit to your diet". I told her about this forum and what I've learned about fat and the sugar in fruit, and she said 'Don't listen to them, listen to me.' Why? SHE'S never had diabetes, so of course she doesn't know what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My insurance is actually pretty good. Fervently wish it were the same (actually, better) for everybody. Came home with meter, insulin and everything, and am using them!

(Having once loved an old, diabetic dog

Anyway, the diet they sent me home with calls for 6-11 servings of grains, beans and starchy vegetables per day, plus 2-4 servings of fruit.

Wow ... this is gonna be easy (sorta). Right?

Since I was scared to eat anything, I cut back further than they advised. But for some mysterious reason, all of my readings ranged between 200-290. :confused:

The Dr. reminded me that I had been at 513 only a couple of days before, so I shouldn't worry too much. She did advise me to increase the insulin dose slightly; I complied. No improvement. Today, I quietly dropped the starches and fruit.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Well, the suggested carb serving sizes are smaller than we're used to. (Somewhat.) And they do recommend whole grain.

But when I got home and did what I was told, my numbers stayed high -- over 200.

The higher insulin dose does seem a good idea, anyway. But at least for now -- and for me -- it appears no amount of insulin can cover a standard diabetic diet.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Huh. We're twins!

Well, the suggested carb serving sizes are smaller than we're used to. (Somewhat.) And they do recommend whole grain.

But when I got home and did what I was told, my numbers stayed high -- over 200.

The higher insulin dose does seem a good idea, anyway. But at least for now -- and for me -- it appears no amount of insulin can cover a standard diabetic diet.

My doctor has me on diet and exercise, no meds. She says that the fact that I lost 2 pounds in a week will probably mean I won't need any. I'm having English Muffin issues. I love em and I planned to keep them as my only bread/grain, but I think they are spiking me. The others are right - stay away from grains if you can. What I would suggest is topping everything you eat with some flax meal - it's low carb and high in fiber and makes you feel fuller. And it's tasteless, too.
Kinda like me, sometimes :D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

My doctor has me on diet and exercise, no meds.
I don't remember who your physician is, but it's not an endocrinologist, is it? I'm surprised s/he didn't prescribe metformin. My endo said there was no reason for me to go off of it, even when my bs is in control, because there is no down side to taking it and it won't take one into hypoglycemia. It seems your numbers are high enough to warrant it, even a friend of mine who is pre-diabetic was given the lowest dose, 500 mg.

Now something to get you excited and consider asking her about it: it acts as an appetite suppressant, once was even considered as being marketed as one :)

The way it works is pretty nice - it doesn't stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin, rather tries to preserve it via (taken from Glucophage (metformin) because I'd just be copying someone else's paper anyway):

"Firstly, it reduces the amount of sugar produced by cells in the liver. Secondly, it increases the sensitivity of muscle cells to insulin. This enables the cells to remove sugar from the blood more effectively. Finally, it also delays absorption of sugar from the intestines into the bloodstream after eating. "

G

·
I don't remember who your physician is, but it's not an endocrinologist, is it? I'm surprised s/he didn't prescribe metformin. My endo said there was no reason for me to go off of it, even when my bs is in control, because there is no down side to taking it and it won't take one into hypoglycemia. It seems your numbers are high enough to warrant it, even a friend of mine who is pre-diabetic was given the lowest dose, 500 mg.

Now something to get you excited and consider asking her about it: it acts as an appetite suppressant, once was even considered as being marketed as one :)

The way it works is pretty nice - it doesn't stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin, rather tries to preserve it via (taken from Glucophage (metformin) because I'd just be copying someone else's paper anyway):

"Firstly, it reduces the amount of sugar produced by cells in the liver. Secondly, it increases the sensitivity of muscle cells to insulin. This enables the cells to remove sugar from the blood more effectively. Finally, it also delays absorption of sugar from the intestines into the bloodstream after eating. "
yes it's definitely a drug of choice by the docs.
Of course I didn't tolerate this drug and I'm still a little ticked as I reckon it's played a big part in the cause of my recent diagnosis of functional dyspepsia. I had hypos on metformin myself... perhaps I'm just unusual. I would advise anybody who reads this to always consider whether the drug a) works for you, and b) you can tolerate it. If you get an answer of 'no' to either... get off it as quick as you can... it's not worth the consequences!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts